IGNORED

Pledge

beemerboy

A few months back I noticed a riding buddy pull a can of Pledge furniture polish out of his bag and use it to clean his face shield. I now see that Pledge is running ads showing it as a multi purpose cleaner especially for motorcycles.

Has anyone here tried it? How does it work on an RT fairing?

John Ranalletta

Pledge, WD40, auto detail spray, auto spray wax, whatever... It's all petro based; melts bugs as good as anything and is lots cheaper than plastics polish.

Pledge has been a long time application for windscreens, face shields etc. Doesn't doo too badly but the damn can is humongous! The other options mentioned earlier are good ones and can be more easily carried in a tank bag. Good luck.

DaveTheAffable

Pledge... made by a little company called SC Johnson. Used by MILLIONS of home owners on stereos, plastic covers, painted surfaces, laminates, coffee tables, CD's, refrigerators, furniture, wood, vinyl...etc, etc.

Yeah... it works. You may prefer something different. :wave:

And there's nothing like that lemon fresh scent inside an old ratty helmet...

Better'n a cup of coffee to wake you up for that last 100 miles of the day.

........Small can of Plexus travels well but the big one is more economical for garage use.

Ewell

I've used Plexus from Day 1 but considering how much it costs I"m interested in alternatives or at least a way to extend what I have on hand. I agree that a small can of Plexus is easier to carry than the usual Pledge can but hey, it's half the price!!

Are we talkimg about the furniture polish or the multi-surface product?

Or are they the same thing with some lemon perfume thrown in with the furniture polish?

DaveTheAffable
Are we talkimg about the furniture polish or the multi-surface product?

Or are they the same thing with some lemon perfume thrown in with the furniture polish?

Here she is... :wave:

5344.jpg.8f15614eee518a9e20db672d1ed175f1.jpg

Like the others I have been using the Pledge on my MC windshields for years. Seems to make bug removal a lot easier. I tried it on my helmet visor a few times but couldn’t stand the streaks and smears when riding into the sun. Still use in on the windshield but not the helmet visor.

I've used Lemon Pledge for years and I believe it streaks less than Plexus. Also, a friend of mine, who is an optician, recommends using pledge on you glasses to clean them and make the small scratches disappear. It works.

Back when men were men, and I was racing a Yamaha RZ350 and a Honda 600 Hurricane, my 'racing mentor' was a little fireplug of a guy - you know the type - 5 feet tall, and 6 feet around, smoked cigars, passed gas at the most inopportune times (inside a close car, inside an enclosed trailer) named Gordon Caudill. Since he was so massively built, he had a bit of trouble moving around on his bike, so he would spray the seat of his leathers (they were yellow and black and made him look like a giant bumble bee) and his bike's seat with Pledge. It seemed to help. [Actually, he probably moved around on the bike as much as the gas tank did, that is to say 'not much'.]

It is important to note that I wore a nylon racing suit instead of leathers (much nicer in the cooler days of August in South Florida).

Anyway, one day I went out for my heat race at Roebling Road just outside Savannah. We did the warm up lap, and got back to the grid. When the flag fell we all started jostling towards turn 1, a very fast right hander. I got to the point where I always slid my butt off the seat...and my butt didn't stop sliding until I banged my right knee on the asphalt. Seems Gordon thought I would be able to go faster if I could move around on the seat easier. Scared the snot out of me and boosted the pucker factor up to about 700, to say the least.

After that little episode, we detailed my girlfriend to watch Gordon whenever he pulled out the Pledge and to keep him away from everybody else's bikes.

I really miss that guy.

Every sprint car racer I've ever known used to spray their car down with Pledge before racing to make the mud wash off easier.

It was a riot standing in the pits with the smell of alky and that lemony smell wafting thru the air.

The only thing that was more bizarre was the smell of Krylon in the pits before a demo derby.

I have read that Plexus and lemon pledge share the same ingredients. I also found on the internet the small cans of lemon pledge(7oz) Fits in a tankbag perfect.

I have read that Plexus and lemon pledge share the same ingredients. I also found on the internet the small cans of lemon pledge(7oz) Fits in a tankbag perfect.

I believe that I tried several products way back like Pledge and they all caused interesting light patterns in oncoming traffic. Do they still do that?

I believe that I tried several products way back like Pledge and they all caused interesting light patterns in oncoming traffic. Do they still do that?

Sorry, meant to mention the dark and the rain in that statement.

Survived-til-now

Face shield YES - used it for years - every morning before setting off in winter and the rain just bounced off.....

Helmet NO - not sure its okay and helmet manufacturers warn against silicone sprays - try YOSHIMOTO Purple Helmet Spray by Motrax

I've used Pledge for 30+ years, on $150,000.00 trucks, for shows displays,tires,dash, side glass,anything I can think of. I've used it on a windshield but is a pain in the ass for the job...use "Rain X" for that job now. It is probably the fastest product for a spiffy looking something or other.

Archived