IGNORED

Winter got you down?

elkroeger

Snow, schmow! A tough guy (or gal) like you comes prepared and rides regardless of how pissed off old man winter is....

Chains! (and I don't mean drive chains....)

btw - anyone use these things? My wife won't let me buy 'em....

We use chains on our work vans so have some experience with them, at least on 4 wheeled vehicles. They're far superior than four wheel drive if you're willing to put up with putting up with the on and off routine.

Having said that I can't imagine riding a moto with chains. They vibrate the vehicle significantly and should only be driven a slow speeds. You will eventually throw a chain. If you're lucky it'll throw clear of the wheel but most likely it'll wrap itself around the axle.

Listen to your (sensible) wife.

Yeah, I've used chains on the car, plenty. And I've thrown 'em too. All wrapped around the axle.... that's a good time!

I can't imagine putting a pair on the scoot. Seems like the only application would be off road anyway.

Prolly better off with a Skidoo.

I would rather keep a spare set of tires with studs screwed into them. Front and rear. Having a chain on the rear may give you traction for moving forward but will jack up your abs for stopping and doesnt help you steer at all....steering CAN be important on a motorcycle at times...

I would rather keep a spare set of tires with studs screwed into them. Front and rear. Having a chain on the rear may give you traction for moving forward but will jack up your abs for stopping and doesnt help you steer at all....steering CAN be important on a motorcycle at times...

That's what we did with our car in Maine during the winter. It was sorta a "welcome to winter" around the 1st of December; mount the studded snow tires.

Up there they also did the same with motorcycles - did ice racing with those tires, but what they had looked more like screws that studs! It was fun watching them, lots of action with the occasional dismount - then the rider would slide for a LONG time.....they raced on large frozen lakes!

Well, Didn't need chains on the overnighter to Anza Borrego State park Friday. Go all the way down to 48 degrees on Sat morning. Location, location, location.....

It's currently 24F outside but there's no show and the roads are dry so I'm puttin' on the Gerbings and about to head out on the RT to keep it (and me) happy. :)

It's currently 24F outside but there's no show and the roads are dry so I'm puttin' on the Gerbings and about to head out on the RT to keep it (and me) happy. :)

That's a real rider, there, boy-o! :thumbsup:

I'm still commuting to work on the RT and am impressed with the amount of bikes in the parking lot, especially the ones without fairings or even windshields. 26 degrees this morning, but will probably have to break out the heated vest when it gets below 20.

Just for fun this season I bought a set of IRC Urban Snow tires for the Burgman and some tire studs from Rider Wearhouse. I'm going to see how long I can keep commuting on two wheels. Woohoo!

Nice n Easy Rider
I'm still commuting to work on the RT and am impressed with the amount of bikes in the parking lot, especially the ones without fairings or even windshields. 26 degrees this morning, but will probably have to break out the heated vest when it gets below 20.

16F on the commute in this morning. Couldn't have done it without the Gerbings liner but sure could have used some glove liners, even with the heated grips. :(

I have alway thought that a sidecar rig with chains on the rear bike wheel would be really neat to ride to work during a serious snow storm. Wave at the cars as you cruise past them in the HOV lane. I suppose that a Ural with a driven hack wheel would be the best way to go. Then you could chain up both drive wheels.

Yesterday was 5 degree's out in the morning and while en route to work the only Bike I seen on the road was a guy in spandex pedaling down the road.

Way to much ice here in Minn for me, not to mentioned the drivers who haven't a clue about driving in snow and ice.

Plus at 5 degree's and 60mph I'm not sure if anything will keep you warm. :)

Where's global warming when ya need it? :grin:

Al

Same here this week. Rode the GS in the new Olympia suit with the gerbings on . 34 when I left for work, not bad at all!

Been in the high 30s-low 40s in the morning and high 70s in the afternoon and clear. Doesn't get much better than that. Desert southwest, I love it :Cool:

noob Q..

new to me 07 RT. got an older (2000-ish) widder vest that, til now, I've alwasy connected straight to the battery. The RT has those fancy integrated sockets that I planned to plug into and just ordered a powerlet plug to rig up to the vest. I heard an ugly rumor this may not work. Is there a max Amps on those sockets? and if so what? and if so will the vest likely trip it?

(I'll have to dig around to see if I can find out what the draw on the vest is. I guess I could measure ohms through it with thermostat turned wide open figuring i=v/r)

Not sure about the 07. 08 RT and later are 10A and do anyones heated jackets- I do a Gerbings plus the glove and my phone charger etc through an electrified tank bag all plugged into the front outlet on myt 08). 05/06 are 5A which won't work. 07?? CHeck owners manual or poke around for on line specs that show it.

If you've got a 5A, you will need to go direct to battery. This is easy. Just make sure the lead is fused 10A and bring out in front of the seat and back of the tank for easy plug in. Leads can be easily made or purchased- most jackets use the same coax plug though there may still some around with SAE or other. Controllers, including the remote type, are also interchangeable between brands.

2007 manual says: "current limit for onboard sockets 10A"

excellent becuase I already ordered a powerlet plug. but in the mean time I went ahead and installed the original straight to battery pigtail that I'd been using. It is fused.

Well I must admit to doing far more winter riding than I should. Recently I rode my mountain bicycle to work. When I started in a light rain and 40 degree F weather I did not even imagine that 13 minutes later I would be in a heavy blizzard 26 degrees with 50 mph winds. Since I was over the half way point I continued on to work. Well quitting time comes around and I ride towards home. Doing nearly zero miles per hour my front wheel comes unglued on packed snow and I eat the end of the handlebar. Whoa did that hurt, weeks ago and my tongue is still hurting bad not to mention teeth, gums, lips. I can't whistle at all anymore. Since then I walk, it takes an hour but no handlebars to eat. I did look at studded bicycle tires and I still feel no urge to repeat that experience.

Been in the high 30s-low 40s in the morning and high 70s in the afternoon and clear. Doesn't get much better than that. Desert southwest, I love it :Cool:

My wife is making noises about Desert SW. Snow forecast today and I heard some cussing going on.

Currently 76 F with light winds from the southwest. Apparently I am also somewhat dickish. But I am warm and riding w/o Electrics. Pass the sunscreen. :grin:

Archived