IGNORED

Newbee ?

BlueByU

I've been told to stay away from 05&06 R1200RT because of the power assist brakes.What's is the true about this issue.Please enlighten me.And also the rear diff. drain thing.I really don't want to have to rotate the diff.to drain it.So I've been trying to find a 07 with low miles and NOT on the East Coast.The other board that I'm NOT a member of yet because I don't own a BMW and don't want to pay for till I do have one,has ad listing of BMW M/C that I maybe interested in but can access because it is Members only.

Tia Bob

Is this the same BlueByU from the ST1300 site that now has a Vstrom 650?

I used to have an 05 R1200RT, if I were to buy another one it would be an 07 or newer. No servo brakes and a drain plug in the final drive.

IBMWR is free and has a large number of used beemers for sale. I've purchased my last two RTs using connections made there. As for the MOA; I was a member but decided it wasn't for me after several years.

Evening Bob

On the servo brakes? Probably not a bad idea to avoid them if possible but a LOT of riders have the power assist servo brakes and are very happy with them. I guess if the right deal comes along on the early bike with the power brakes it wouldn’t scare me away. They do work good just expensive to repair if you have problems.

On the final drive drain plug? Don’t assume that just because it is an early bike it has the drain plug on the rear. Some of those early bikes have had final drive issues and BMW installed the later bottom drain plug final drive on the bike under warranty. You might ask the potential seller if the final drive has been replaced. Again if the right deal comes along that drain plug position is not a big issue. Not that difficult or even time consuming to tip the final drive back.

Personally my biggest worry on the early 1200 RT’s is neither of the above, it is engine oil leaking at the rear of the engine (between engine and trans). If you are looking at an early bike pay REAL close attention to that area as it is a real pain to fix and they are out of warranty by now.

Yes,Are U one of Mikes friend? Love the Wee Strom and will keep it for Alaska trip next year.I looking for something lighter and more fun than the ST1300 and the Wee is hard to do two up riding as we are both full figured adults/kids..lol

I used to have an 05 R1200RT, if I were to buy another one it would be an 07 or newer. No servo brakes and a drain plug in the final drive.

I have an '06 and like many others, have no issues with the servo brakes. Have you tried them? Likewise, as DT said, the drain plug should be a non-issue. It is SO SIMPLE to rotate the diff to drain it and you can lube the spline while you're at it. TEHO, but I'd look for the right bike/deal irregardless of the two issues you raised. YMMV. Good Luck.

Yes,Are U one of Mikes friend? Love the Wee Strom and will keep it for Alaska trip next year.I looking for something lighter and more fun than the ST1300 and the Wee is hard to do two up riding as we are both full figured adults/kids..lol

I am cali_Rider from the St site, I met you in Morro Bay a few years ago at the CalStock when I had my St1300 (I sat right next to you). That bike didnt last long, I wasnt impressed by it. I had a R1200RT and its by far the best bike I have ever owned, and simply put the ST1300 to shame. I just sold my Vstrom 650ABS. I really liked the bike alot and didnt really want to sell it but it would really need to be a second bike for me and I cant swing 2 bikes. So, I am back to BMW but couldnt afford the 1200 so I settled for the 1150. I still kick myslef in the arse for selling my 1200RT.

I ride an '05... it has whizzy brakes and yes, I rotate the final drive to drain and service it.

Neither of these "features" are a problem. I love the bike and would not spend anything to have them changed.

You know what your interest is in servicing the bike yourself. If you feel comfortable doing oil changes,and valve adjustments then a final drive service and a brake fluid service is well within your capability.

Me? I find it fun and an integral part of owning a fine bike...

Your actual mileage may vary....

I've been told to stay away from 05&06 R1200RT because of the power assist brakes.What's is the true about this issue......

It's not really an issue IMHO. Don't let someone who has never ridden a bike with the servo brakes tell you how awful they are. They are not. The brakes do not work (more than maybe 25%?) unless the key is turned ON. It's just like in your car. So if you're pushing the motorcycle around for some reason, you have essentially no brakes if the key is not turned ON. Other than that, the brakes on my 06 work the same as the ones on the 09 as long as both machines were running; which is to say they work very well.

I ride an '05... it has whizzy brakes ....

Are you referring to the sound they make? Like with the ignition ON but motor not running? I agree with you! I felt like some sort of weird "Transporter" or something with all that whirring sound when the ignition was on but with the motor off and I activated the brakes. :grin:

Oh, I remember U now.U were very unhappy with the ST1300 than.So how does 1150 compare to the 1200? Hope to see U on the road again.I still do alot with the ST cause they like to ride and camp and I know BMW guys do to and that is right up my alley.Now is the task to find a Beemer.

I am cali_Rider from the St site, I met you in Morro Bay a few years ago at the CalStock when I had my St1300 (I sat right next to you). That bike didnt last long, I wasnt impressed by it. I had a R1200RT and its by far the best bike I have ever owned, and simply put the ST1300 to shame. I just sold my Vstrom 650ABS. I really liked the bike alot and didnt really want to sell it but it would really need to be a second bike for me and I cant swing 2 bikes. So, I am back to BMW but couldnt afford the 1200 so I settled for the 1150. I still kick myslef in the arse for selling my 1200RT.

Archived