IGNORED

IMAC mouse

Paul Mihalka

With my IMAC desktop I only have the original basic USB mouse. I wouldn't mind having a mouse with scrolling wheel and wireless would be nice. Any experience with the cheap mice on ebay in the $10 to $20 range? Is Logitech a known brand?

Paul go to any office supply store and you can get a universal USB one in your price range that will be so much better.

The scroll is the best thing ever! My house is filled with macs going back 25 years. Always hated the stock mouse...

My logitech mouse is next to me at this moment, it's inexpensive and works. Get a newer wireless unit with the smaller usb interface that way you can leave it plugged in all the time. My unit is the M215, I picked it up at a big box store.

The best mouse for the iMac is the Apple Magic Mouse. Wireless bluetooth technology. No wheel...sweep a finger for movement. Batteries last about 3 months. Works great. But it's $69.

The best mouse for the iMac is the Apple Magic Mouse. Wireless bluetooth technology. No wheel...sweep a finger for movement. Works great. But it's $69.

I agree. I just switched from PC to Mac a couple of months ago and I like the wireless bluetooth mouse.

The best mouse for the iMac is the Apple Magic Mouse. Wireless bluetooth technology. No wheel...sweep a finger for movement. Batteries last about 3 months. Works great. But it's $69.

Conceptually, it is great, but that low, flat profile is really uncomfortable over the long term - and I'm far from the only person who thinks so. Lots of complaints on the web about the shape of the thing. But the touch functionality is very handy, I'll give them that. I wound up replacing it with apple's external bluetooth trackpad thing. I get lots of swipey gestures to do stuff with, it is very accurate and large, and it doesn't require me to grip anything. It isn't as conveniently located as the trackpad on my laptop, though. I do keep a bluetooth mouse paired with the computer, too, in case I find myself doing something better suited to a mouse. Actually, there may be a USB trackball at the back of my keyboard tray as well. Why not give yourself options? I work all day at a computer and I'm paranoid about repetitive stress injuries. Switching things up has kept my wrists, fingers, and forearms healthy despite nearly 20 years of 14+ hour days at the computer.

Conceptually, it is great, but that low, flat profile is really uncomfortable over the long term

And I've used a mouse since they were invented (40 plus years?). I still maintain that the Magic Mouse is the best one yet. Agreed, I don't spend more than a few hours a day on a computer so I don't know about the effects of 8 hours plus per day. But for most people, I think the Magic Mouse is a real breakthrough.

AdventurePoser

+1

Paul - like Marcopolo, switched to iMac a couple months ago including wireless keyboard and mouse. Wouldn't go back now. Both are so much more convenient than being wired. Sounds like you're getting good advice on aftermarket units. Go for it!

PM on the way to Marcop.

I have both the magic mouse and the new magic trackpad on my desk. For my "average typical" usage the trackpad has now replaced the mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I like Apple design, they have never offered a decent mouse (I started using Macs in 1984). Logitech, on the other hand, makes great mouses (mice?), especially their cordless models. I'm not sure what model mine is, but I love the heft that 2 AA batteries give it.

Archived