IGNORED

Help a non electrical guy wire up lights.....

cali_beemer

So, I just got my 04 1150RT. The seller had a new set of PIAA 1100X lights and a ezymount for the lights. They only catch was they need to be installed. There were no instructions and no wire harness or switch. I got a hold of a new complete wire harness coming for it from PIAA, so thats not an issue anymore. I was also given a Centech AP-1 fuse block, of course, not installed either. Do I need to use the fuse block for mounting the lights? I am not a real big electical guy but I do have a set of strippers...etc. Do I ditch the relay and put a relay to the centech and wire the lights to the centech? If I skip on installing the centech what hot wire should I tap the relay into? If anyone knows of a link where someone has wired these in before, that would be great. Pictures help me out alot.

I should note, that I would like to be able to turn the lights on regardless of whether or not the high beam is on, but the ignition would need to be on.

Yes you need a fuse. Fuse block you have so install. It would be good to tap into a switched power source for the relay to power the lights. That way when the key is off the lights would be also. Saves draining the battery like a duffus. Folks usually take a brake light or the headlight bucket running light as a source.

If you want to turn the lights on all the time, go directly to the fuse block and have at it.Then you will forget and tomorrow your battery will be as dead as mine gets when I forget to turn them off.

Be aware that if you wire it up so that they can be used completely independantly of hi or low beam, then when you come around a corner with your PIAAs and High beams on and hit the dimmer, only the high beam will go down, you may still blind the oncoming traffic. This will work ok if yo point them down to augment low beam but if your intent is to augment the long range high beam, it is problematiic. It will, however, be easir to hook up. Take it directly from the battery or centech to the relay then from the relay to the PIAAs. Trigger the relay with any ignition/hot lead like the tail light etc. The PIAA wiring harness you will get will probably be for a car and will have many many feet of wire not needed so rather than trying to fold it up on the bike, measure how much you need and cut the extra out and "solder" them back together with some shrink tubing.

well, you have convinced me to set them so they can only be on with the high beam. How do I wire them going that route?

How do I wire the centech fuse block? What gage wire do I need?

Yes, I really am that electrical dumb....LOL

I see that cycle gadgets sells a relay wire kit for the centech, I may just go that route. If I do, it should be a simple matter of running the wires directly to the centech with no relay...right?

The only difference is that the "trigger wire" for the relay needs to come from the high beam line. Then when you dim your lights, the PIAAs go off automatically and when you hit your high beams again, they come back on. That is the way I have my Hella Micro HIDs hooked up. You can also use the PIAA supplied switch (actually it is a latch) so that when the switch is off, they are off period, even with high beam. I used this method so in-town riding, they never came on. Use the gage wire that they send you with the wire harness. My guess is that it is 14 or 16. If you use the centech, use heavier gage wire (12 is ok) for both the ground and hot lead from the battery because you may end up hooking up other accessories and it would have to support the sum of all the accessory current loads. Someone makes a neat product that is a jumper connector to the High beam light that has a convenient pig-tail for use as a trigger. Can't remember who it was but maybe another board member will chime in.

Ooooh, shiny lights!!!

Pssst! Tech daze at my place to do it?! Or yours?!

:)

I plan to put them on Saturday since the bike will already be on the lift and the panels off. Your welcome to stop by :thumbsup:.

I don't care what the PC's think or the state of Califusion. I wired mine straight to the battery and my buddy says he can see me when I follow him. Point being conspicuity!!!!!

I flip mine on and hit the turn signal coming up on a slug on mountain roads and most the time they give way and let me pass.

I would wire them so that the lights could be used when you want them day or night. When I throw on the high beam I gots 4 lights showing the way, not just 2.

I would wire them so that the lights could be used when you want them day or night. When I throw on the high beam I gots 4 lights showing the way, not just 2.

+1

More options are good. I use mine often during the day for beter viability. You may also find the wider dispersal of the extra lights helpful at night even with oncoming traffic. It's easy enough to aim them properly.

Wifey is going out of town Sat, give me a PM if you need help.

I may do that. I am okay with a wrench in my hand but bad things can happen if I am dealing with wires and open current....... :rofl: I am wondering if my insurance company covers electrical fires......

Well, I ordered the Centech relay wire kit from Cycle Gadgets. Its going priority mail which takes 2 days so hopefully it will be here Saturday. It was going to cost insane money to go express. The customer service at Cycle Gadgets was absolutely great, another satisfied customer.

My Motolights are hooked up independently of the H/L beams using a Euroswitch.

My PIAA's are hooked up to the Centech, with their own led switch.

I prefer to be able to turn all on/off independent of the H/L beams.

I've never left mine on.

All part of the shutdown routine.

YMMV.

My Motolights are hooked up independently of the H/L beams using a Euroswitch.

My PIAA's are hooked up to the Centech, with their own led switch.

I prefer to be able to turn all on/off independent of the H/L beams.

I've never left mine on.

All part of the shutdown routine.

YMMV.

Mycurrent plan is to run this relay wire harness for the Centech AP-1. That way anything hooked up the the Centech will be shup off with the bikes power. So, my assumption is that the PIAA lighs will not need their relay unit and can bee wired directly to the Centech, which will allow me to be able to turn the lights on independently of the hi/lo beem, but it will still turn off if the bike is turned off. Does all this sound right? Will I still need to use the PIAA relay unit?

"I've never left mine on."

Yeah, but, your LED are still working, mine died. Cheap switch! I'se got a mind like an iron sieve too. Or I can't afford to pay attention anymore. :dopeslap:

Geez, I have two complete Centech blocks, relays, and harnesses sitting on the shelf!

Now you tell me......LOL. The centech came with the bike, I just had to buy the wire harness.

I bought my bike used and it was already wired with PIAA's. It's wired in such a way that IF I leave them on, they will shut off after a few minutes. I believe this is because they are powered through the factory GPS lead?

"I've never left mine on."

Yeah, but, your LED are still working, mine died. Cheap switch! I'se got a mind like an iron sieve too. Or I can't afford to pay attention anymore. :dopeslap:

Actually, no, the (led) doesn't come on until I power the bike through the igswitch.

I can go stock lights, add Moto's, add PIAA's, shut off/on in any combination.

Best wishes.

+1

More options are good. I use mine often during the day for beter viability. You may also find the wider dispersal of the extra lights helpful at night even with oncoming traffic. It's easy enough to aim them properly.

+ another 1.

Mine are on a separate switch and crash bar-mounted. I flip them on as I pull out of the driveway and off when I park, just to keep the load off when starting. They're on a switched source so dead battery is avoided.

4 lights all the time, (2 high HIDs, 2 low halogens) a total of 5 w/high beam on. :Cool:

Archived