IGNORED

R1100RT rear tire

kmac

I know tires are a regularly discussed topic, but i was looking for some specific input on the 1100. The 1100RT has an 18" rear unlike the 1150 and 1200. I am on a serious budget at the moment so initial cost is very important as well as decent life expectancy.

At American motorcycle Tire they have free shipping and good prices. I am considering the Pirelli Angel ST. I can get a set for about $230.00. They also have the Bridgestone Bt-023 for about $240.00 for the set.

What would you guys choose? and does anyone know of a better deal? I have looked all over the internet and these seem like good prices especially with free delivery.

I buy my tires from SW Moto tire. Free shipping and no sales tax. They are usually to your door the next day. I just ordered the Bridgestone 023's from them monday and they showed up the next day. I only buy from them becasue they have been a reliable source for multiple purchases. One dealer I went to wouldnt install tires from the internet because some of the places are selling blemish tires that can in turn lead to problems, but they did install the tire when they found out they came from SW moto tires. The price I paid for the 023's in an R1150RT size was just a few dollars less than your price, by like 5 dollars. Not sure what an 1100RT size goes for. I bought the GT for the front tire.

You might want to check out THESE as a budget tire. I think there are some 18" that will fit your RT on their site. I run one on my dual sport (rear tire) and it has been just fine. They are about 1/2 of what I paid for a name brand.

Not to bad mouth a Shinko but a gal friend bought a GS with Shinkos on it with the intent of going to Alaska. At the 49er rally we were looking at her new Toy and noticed the new Shinkos cracking between the treads. She went off the dealer for new tires that morning.

I used to run IRC's on my Honda years ago. Seemed ok to me at the time. Main stream manufacturers have the upper hand in quality and price, of course.

comstockrider

I put a set of Angles on my 98 RT and love them. I've only put about 3K on them and so far no sign of wear. (other than the angles are gone). But, comparing them to the Metzlers, and the Avon's I've tried, what a difference. They perform like nothing I've had in the past. Very confidence inspiring. Which can be a bad thing. I find I make the trip up and down my hill a whole lot faster than I used to. :grin:

You might want to check out THESE as a budget tire. I think there are some 18" that will fit your RT on their site. I run one on my dual sport (rear tire) and it has been just fine. They are about 1/2 of what I paid for a name brand.

Outpost, I cant get your link to work. I just get a unable to connect page. I am guessing it was a link to Shinko's from noncomps comments....I have looked and i cant any 160/60zr18 tires from shinko at all.

The Pirelli Angels at SW moto tires are about 20 bucks more than at American Motorcycle Tires for the same tire.

Looks like i am gonna try the Angels from AMT. I will order them tomorrow.

I will post a ride report after i get a few hundred miles on them.

Not to bad mouth a Shinko but a gal friend bought a GS with Shinkos on it with the intent of going to Alaska. At the 49er rally we were looking at her new Toy and noticed the new Shinkos cracking between the treads.

I know this was a complaint on the earlier tires from a couple of years ago. It seemed that most issues stemmed from heavily loaded touring bikes. Evidently Shinko replaced any tire that displayed these issues. I haven't heard of the new ones doing this. The little GS I have doesn't get loaded heavy like a 1200GS with full cases. Anyway, no issues in the last 14 months.

KMAC:

I looked at the Shinko site and found the "Podium" radial comes in

150/60/18 and 170/60/18. Not sure if there are issues of them not being "160's ". Here is the link PODIUM

Evening Outpost,

Thanx for the research, i couldn't find any on their site in 18".

I kinda wanna stick with the correct size though. And at $140.00+ for the Shinko Podiums, I can get the Pirelli Angel ST in 160/60zr18 for $116.00. For me right now 20+ bucks is alot of money when it comes to recreational expenses.

I have used Shinko tires on two of my 1200 GSA's and also suffered cracking between the tread blocks. I think the tires were nicely constructed and for sure they had the deepest treads of any I have tried but my conclusion is that my bike is just too heavy. They have less plies and no steel as compared to say a Bridgestone or Metzler. The sidewall is stamped 33psi MAX on both front and rear tires, worked well off road but not so well on road. Owners manual for this bike suggests 36/42 psi. The set I took off a few weeks ago also had separation between the plies though no loss of air. Should they (Shinko) ever beef up the construction I'd be willing to give them another try, especially for the cost savings.

The 18" 1100RT tire is a tough size to find a deal on. I bought a replacement rim from an 1150 for my wife's 1100 and do find "holiday deals" on tire sets, about $189.00 for the set delivered. Doesn't do you much good if you are strapped for cash but you might keep you eyes open for a rim. I paid a hundred bucks for mine and now watch for sport bike tire sales.

The 18" 1100RT tire is a tough size to find a deal on. I bought a replacement rim from an 1150 for my wife's 1100 and do find "holiday deals" on tire sets, about $189.00 for the set delivered. Doesn't do you much good if you are strapped for cash but you might keep you eyes open for a rim. I paid a hundred bucks for mine and now watch for sport bike tire sales.

Hi Bruce

Can you tell me which model 1150 it was off, as this is something I had looked at but hadnt followed it up as the Disc is mounted to the wheel on the 1150, where its mounted to the FD on the 1100.

Was there any problem with clearance of the 1150 disc mounting and the 1100 disc carrier ?

Evening Outpost,

Thanx for the research, i couldn't find any on their site in 18".

I kinda wanna stick with the correct size though. And at $140.00+ for the Shinko Podiums, I can get the Pirelli Angel ST in 160/60zr18 for $116.00. For me right now 20+ bucks is alot of money when it comes to recreational expenses.

You're welcome. Just a side note: Those are LIST prices on the Shinko site, not STREET prices that you can find searching the net.

I put one of their dual sport tires on and got it for around $50.00 (+/-) including shipping. An Avon Distanzia (like the one I had worn out) was going to run about $130.00.

I figured it was worth a try for better than a 2 for 1 price like that. 14 months later the tire looks almost new after 5000 miles and it spends a lot of time on gravel roads.

Hi Bruce

Can you tell me which model 1150 it was off, as this is something I had looked at but hadnt followed it up as the Disc is mounted to the wheel on the 1150, where its mounted to the FD on the 1100.

Was there any problem with clearance of the 1150 disc mounting and the 1100 disc carrier ?

actually I have a 1150 rear wheel ready to fit my 1100, my plan is to remove the disc mounts by cutting them off, and use the 1100 disc and abs ring including the mount as normal, the reason I have not done it yet, is because I bought a 3 tyre set and still have a new rear.

Much easier if you can find a rear wheel from a K1200LT or a K1200RS. It is a straight bolt-on. You'd have a choice of mounting a 160/70x17 ME880 bias belted which is standard on the K1200LT for high mileage, or any 170/60x17 touring sport tire that comes standard on the R1150RT.

Archived