IGNORED

Zumo cradle purchase?

TEWKS

With the 550 it is really easy without another cradle.

Just buy another power cord and wire that to the other bike, along with another ram ball. Then just unplug the power cord from the cradle and move the the whole cradle assembly over to the other bike and plug it in! You don't need to use the tiny screws that hold the power plug, it can't go anywhere with the GPS in the mount.

That's one of the things with the new 665. There is no plug on the cradle! the whole mount is wired directly to the bike along with audio out and mic cables. Now I have to buy a second mount!

With the 550 it is really easy without another cradle.

Just buy another power cord and wire that to the other bike, along with another ram ball. Then just unplug the power cord from the cradle and move the the whole cradle assembly over to the other bike and plug it in! You don't need to use the tiny screws that hold the power plug, it can't go anywhere with the GPS in the mount.

This would work well "if you use the RAM type of mount". My cradle is bolted to a permanent mount which is difficult to remove.

Slight Hijack:

Is there a power cord available for the Zumo 550 that will plug into a car accessory outlet & then directly into the Zumo unit rather then the cradle? Kinda like the power charging cord that plugs into a household electrical outlet on one end & directly into the unit on the other.

Sometimes take it on car trips (original car cradle destroyed & gave my spare away before it happened) but the unit often runs out of juice & no way to charge it. The wire that plugs into the cradle is l-shaped & the Zumo "door" gets in the way, so I'am hoping there is a specific wire available. Called Garmin but their tech gave me the number of the wire that goes to the cradle so I'm not even sure they make such a wire as described.

Suggestions appreciated.

Slight Hijack:

Is there a power cord available for the Zumo 550 that will plug into a car accessory outlet & then directly into the Zumo unit rather then the cradle? Kinda like the power charging cord that plugs into a household electrical outlet on one end & directly into the unit on the other.

Sometimes take it on car trips (original car cradle destroyed & gave my spare away before it happened) but the unit often runs out of juice & no way to charge it. The wire that plugs into the cradle is l-shaped & the Zumo "door" gets in the way, so I'am hoping there is a specific wire available. Called Garmin but their tech gave me the number of the wire that goes to the cradle so I'm not even sure they make such a wire as described.

Suggestions appreciated.

Hi Mike. I do not think there is because the power comes in through the pid pads on the bottom of the unit. You might try posting your question on th Zumo website. They have a lot of experts oerthere.

Yes there is. That's how I use my Zumo in the car.

I've made my own cable 'cause I'm cheap, but you can buy it also.

Buy a "cigarette lighter USB adapter" like this:

Cig lighter 2 USB

31QKYmIkRfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And then plug a Garmin USB cable from the adapter to Zumo.

You need to use a Garmin cable (or modify your own) to keep the Zumo in GPS mode even when USB cable is plugged in. If a standard USB cable is used the Zumo goes into mass storage mode as soon as you plug in the cable.

With correct cable this works like champ.

--

Mikko

Slight Hijack:

Suggestions appreciated.

Hi Mike. I do not think there is because the power comes in through the pid pads on the bottom of the unit.

How do you think the wall charger works?

edit: You could invest in a small inverter and use the wall charger.

A car cable for an eTrex might work. Any power source has to be wired to prevent the zumo from jumping into data mode.

The wire that plugs into the cradle is l-shaped & the Zumo "door" gets in the way, so I'am hoping there is a specific wire available.

1. The door is only in the way when mounted in a cradle. If you remove the hinge screws, it's no longer in the way.

2. The power cord that plugs into the cycle cradle doesn't go anywhere near the door. It passes through a slot behind the zumo and into a molded rubber right-angle plug. The car cradle power comes straight into the side of the cradle via a locking plastic connector.

• 3 months later...

Yes there is. That's how I use my Zumo in the car.

I've made my own cable 'cause I'm cheap, but you can buy it also.

Buy a "cigarette lighter USB adapter" like this:

Cig lighter 2 USB

31QKYmIkRfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And then plug a Garmin USB cable from the adapter to Zumo.

You need to use a Garmin cable (or modify your own) to keep the Zumo in GPS mode even when USB cable is plugged in. If a standard USB cable is used the Zumo goes into mass storage mode as soon as you plug in the cable.

With correct cable this works like champ.

--

Mikko

Mikko,

Belated Thanks!! :thumbsup:

A recall of your post to get the name of the adapter to buy led to the realization my IPhone charger already in the car has a USB port built in under it's (very annoying bright) white light.

Plug the Garmin USB cable into it & I'm in business.

Thanks again.

Mike

Belated Thanks!! :thumbsup:

A recall of your post to get the name of the adapter to buy led to the realization my IPhone charger already in the car has a USB port built in under it's (very annoying bright) white light.

Plug the Garmin USB cable into it & I'm in business.

Thanks again.

Mike[/b][/b][/color]

Tried it today; doesn't work w/IPhone USB converter & OEM Garmin transfer cable; Zumo simply comes on & does nothing.

Will try again with a dedicated USB converter instead of the IPhone one.

Archived