IGNORED

Nolan N43 "Air" - first impressions

eddd

I just received a Nolan N43 and I could not be happier. This is, by far, the quietest, best vented, lightest, most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

The lack of DOT certification for the N43 is baffling since this helmet is DOT certified.

I rode for about an hour today with the temperature at 86 F, and the venting on this helmet is fantastic. Comfort when wearing my glasses was the best of any helmet I've ever had on. Even in gusty winds(over 30 mph) the lack of wind noise was remarkable.

I'm giving it a 10 on a scale of 1-10. :thumbsup:

Looks like you found a winner Ed. I have a Schuberth C2 that was not easy to put on and off and not all that comfortable but was very quiet. I bought a Nolan N-Com and loved the features and operation much better than the Schuberth but it was significantly louder. Enough so that I have to wear ear plugs with the Nolan but not with the Schuberth. Am considering the new Schuberth C3 which is similar to the Nolan in operation plus has a completely removabled liner (the C2 did not)like my Nolan but now I may have to add the N43 into the trade space. Thanks for the review.

I love my N43 too. Only now with the temperatures around freezing do I prefer the N102 flip-up. My only criticism of the N43 was that the face shield is fully open or fully closed. When warm, I like it open a notch. I found a way of doing it. Ed and others, if interested, let me know. I would have to take a few pictures so it would be a while.

I got an N102 a couple of months ago, and the face shield pivot was too loose; I picked up a few very thin plastic (nylon?) washers at an Ace Hardware, and shimmed the pivots to add a little more friction. Drag on the face shield is now "just right."

I just received a Nolan N43 and I could not be happier. This is, by far, the quietest, best vented, lightest, most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

The lack of DOT certification for the N43 is baffling since this helmet is DOT certified.

I rode for about an hour today with the temperature at 86 F, and the venting on this helmet is fantastic. Comfort when wearing my glasses was the best of any helmet I've ever had on. Even in gusty winds(over 30 mph) the lack of wind noise was remarkable.

I'm giving it a 10 on a scale of 1-10. :thumbsup:

Almost totally agree. I got one in September and I really like this one. My previous routine was to wear an HJC AC-3 in the warm days and an HJC full-face on the cool; now the Nolan will fill both rolls. I've even gotten used to installing the "chin guard"!

According to Nolan's site, the N43 is DOT approved and also "..it passes the test for full-face helmets of the European standard ECE-2205." I don't think the N43 is Snell approved however; maybe that's what you meant?

My only comment is that the N43 is not the quietest helmet I've used....the AC-3 is the quietest. However, I wear the N43 with the chin bar and face shield, where I wore the AC-3 without a face shield. In that regard, the N43 transmits more wind noise, like the full face helmets I've worn. I wear ear plugs and my bikes have windscreens, so others might have different observations. And the added noise is not that much, and the N43's other features MORE than make up for a little extra wind noise.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with my medium Scorpion EXO 700 helmet, and HJC (CL-16?) full face. I'm keeping the AC-3 because it's too old to give away.

The N43 Air has a LARGE vent on top, is only available outside the USA and is not DOT approved. The N43 Trilogy is sold in the U.S., does not have the top vent, is DOT approved.

So to make the N43 shield stay up a notch:

First I ordered a spare set of shield attachment plates, so I'm not without a helmet if I mess up. You can get them here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/69/32231/ITEM/Nolan-N43-Helmet-Pivot-Kit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

These plates just pop out of the helmet by prying at the bottom.

This is a stock unmodified plate:

N43aIMG_1136.jpg

To make the shield stay up a bit I pushed back the spring loaded locking plate to make space for the file, inserted a bolt to keep it open, and filed a extra notch just above the original "down" notch with a small round file.

This is the setup and the tool needed:

N43bIMG_1139.jpg

This is the modified plate. You can see the new additional notch just above the "down" notch:

N43cIMG_1143.jpg

Obviously you have to modify both the left and right plate.

Two pictures with the shield clicked solid in a intermediate position:

N43dIMG_1144.jpg

N43eIMG_1145.jpg

The N43 Air has a LARGE vent on top, is only available outside the USA and is not DOT approved. The N43 Trilogy is sold in the U.S., does not have the top vent, is DOT approved.

Ah HA, I am so embarrassed at my ignorance! :/

Thanks for clearing that up for those considering the helmet. Mine is, as you noted, the "Trilogy" (odd name?) not the "Air".

I got an N102 a couple of months ago, and the face shield pivot was too loose; I picked up a few very thin plastic (nylon?) washers at an Ace Hardware, and shimmed the pivots to add a little more friction. Drag on the face shield is now "just right."

Thanks! I needed that information. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Perhaps this would be a good place to resurrect the full review of the Nolan N43 Air Classic I wrote last summer.

Great tip on keeping the shield partly open -- it's been a small annoyance for me as well on very hot days.

I just picked up this HJC IS33, it seems well made & DOT approved. Time will tell how it feels on the bike, three feet of snow on the ground. I feel like I should be in a Honda commercial.

:)

IS33-MATTE-BLACK.jpg

Pat

Archived