IGNORED

Travel Camera ??

Heck

At the risk of starting a newer alternative to oil and tire threads, I am going to ask Santa for a replacement for my old Olympus point and shoot camera. Asking for help and info on newer style digital point and shoot. Would like at least 12mp, use SD or micro SD card plus mini USB out. If it has a "shakey Jake" eliminator and of course auto-focus, that would be a plus. The older camera just doesn't cut it anymore in the color correction department and also in its requirement to use a flash 90% of the time.

Leaning towards Nikon coolpix or something similar that wont break the bank..

Thanks in advance...

Heck

We had to replace our old Fujifilm digital and went with a Nikon Coolpix S8000. We had it on our trip out west and were quite happy with the results. Nice bright screen, built in stabilization, big zoom but compact size. My wife takes lots of pictures from the back of the bike and they came out very nice. I can't remember the chip size I went with but it will hold somthing like 1400 pictures at hi resolution. In all we're happy. Good luck.

I don't think I can link this with the fields filled in, or link direct to the results.

Use this page. Fill in form factor = compact, Effective pixels = 12+ million, image stabilization = yes, storage types = SD, and USB = 2.0 to meet your criteria.

If it were me, I would add something about focal range, maybe 28 - something... depending on your preferences.

In any event, that will give you a list of products that meet your criteria. If they have reviewed the product it will show a link to the review. But I would recommend to pick a few from here and then check cnet for reviews and user comments. Also get user comments from Amazon as well.

Generally, I don't think you will got too far wrong with Canon, Nikon, Sony or Panasonic.

Heck, another must in my view is a "viewfinder". I got rid of my coolpix because I couldn't see it in sunlight. The viewfinder is essential for sunlight photos IMO. I ended up with a Cannon PowerShot which has all the other stuff also but includes a small viewfinder. I personally think the 12mp is overkill for a point and shoot but they are available for a few extra bucks.

Have you checkedout the Canon line up? They deliver a lot of bang for the buck and you don't pay extra for the "Nikon" moniker. I personally use the A620 because I like the multi-directional viewfinder. The 620 is only a 7.1mp though so may not meet your needs. Which ever brand you decide to go with, it would serve you well to read this article by one of the camera gurus at B & H Photo about physical size of the digital imaging system. I've been shoooting lots of pictures for a lot of years and I learned a lot from the article. http://photography.bhinsights.com/content/point-and-shoot-or-slr.html/?bi=7229&kw=PSorSLR

As Twisties says, it's hard to go wrong with any of the current offerings -- I would add Fuji to the list. To me, wide angle is more important than huge zoom; you can only back up so far in a room to get a shot before running into a wall. Pixel count is greatly over-rated: I have blown up 5 mpx images to 4 feet wide and still maintained decent detail at viewing distance.

If "travel camera" means motorcycle travel, consider ruggedness. I took a Nikon coolpix to Alaska, and appreciated that it had a metal body and internal folding optic path, as I dropped it several times, twice on asphalt. It's still ticking. This sort of mishap could be fatal to a camera with a protruding lens (as it nearly was to my Panasonic Lumix).

But, the most important factor may be how a camera's controls and software user interface work with you. What may seem intuitively obvious to one person may be mystifyingly complex to another. At some point in the selection process you need to go to a big box store that has lots of choices, and start picking up every camera that is in the size class you're looking for. Play with the controls and modes. Then, when you have narrowed down your choices to a few brands, go to the web and see what the reviewers say. OR, go to the reviews first, then to the store; it doesn't really matter, but you need to have the hands-on experience to make a good choice -- for you.

I'm fond of shopping Amazon for anything electronic, and their selection, prices, and service have been outstanding. User reviews are a useful addition to "professional" reviewers, and I generally look at the 1-star and 5-star reviews.

Final thought: if price matters, you can generally find a camera near the end of its product life at a steep discount. The converse is that if you want the latest and greatest features (these damned things go obsolete in about 12 months), expect to pay a premium price.

Take a look at the Panasonic lumix series, esp LX3.

Wide 24mm angle Leica F2.0 lens, which translates into very good quality pictures even in low light conditions.

Has built in flash but can also add external flash.

LX5 is the latest in the series but more expensive, should find a lx3 around $350 or less.

We have the Cannon SX200IS. It s pretty darn nice. 12MP, HD video recording, wide screen images, SD card, image stabilization and a 12X optical zoom....all in a small point and shoot. Works great! One of the best cameras we have had but I am no shudder bug so I cant compare to others, just the Fuji and Pentex we have had before and this camera blows those 2 away.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx200_is

Love my Nikon D90. I've always been a Nikon fan.

But today, it's even possible to take some pretty good photos with your phone:

1109159002_uNqVo-XL.jpg

Taken with my iPhone 4.

Wide 24mm angle Leica F2.0 lens, which translates into very good quality pictures even in low light conditions.

LX5 is the latest in the series but more expensive, should find a lx3 around $350 or less.

I've got a ZS3 with 12x optical zoom Leica with image stabilization. I'm sure it's not the purest lens, but I think it takes great pictures without having to be in the perfect spot. It has been replaced by the ZS7, about $250.

One note about the SD card. Get an HCSD (high capacity). A year or two back we got a little nikon coolpix. We are still tickled with it. We bought a second battery, and that is wonderful for travelling.

One thing I'm a fan of, if you're a hobbyist who hasn't kept up - go to your local pro photo shop, and have the salesman help you pick one out. They will do a really nice job of sorting out the morass of options - which ones are fluff, and which are worthwhile. Personally, I'm happy to pay a little more for that service (and that camera doesn't really need to be a "suprise" under the tree, does it?). If you go to costco, or best buy, it's sortof a crapshoot. One thing I found was that stores don't seem to carry the same models, so it's impossible to compare apples to apples.

I'm playing with the idea of upgrading from my Canon A590, which is a OK basic point/shoot, to a Canon G11/G12. A bit bigger than a regular point/shoot, but not like a single lens reflex. Does a lot of nice things and feels good in the hand.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/g11.htm

I looked at the G series, too, but ended up buying the Canon S90, despite the fact it doesn't have a viewfinder. I bought my first camera in 1972 or so. I've run the gamut over the years, from a huge bag of stuff to nowadays, the S90 and/or my Droid. I've found I don't miss the viewfinder after all, and I sure don't miss the sore shoulders. I still have a perfectly good Canon DSL, which I might use once a year. As everyone has said, you can't go wrong with most of the current crop. As some have said, 12mp is overkill in a small camera. The processor is what's making pix look better these days.

I'm not a pro, not as good as some of the guys here, nor am I as serious about it as I once was, but I've been taking photos for a very long time, and have given seminars to groups of rank amateurs on how to take better photos. The bottom line is that the very best possible camera you can buy is the one you will carry with you. Go play at a Best Buy or somesuch, and find that camera, the one you will take with you.

I'll reply to myself: I found this document, which I must have posted here sometime in the past. It's certainly not all-encompassing, but perhaps some of the information will be useful.

A PHEW PHOTO TIPS

The following tips should be of use to anyone who takes any photos, every, anywhere, anyhow, for any reason.

1. AVOID TARGET FIXATION. Look through your viewfinder, or at your LCD screen, and focus on your subject, whether it be your Chihuahua or your favorite BMW or your grandson. Often you end up with a tiny subject in the middle of a photo. You fixated on your target, putting it into the center, not noticing what else is in the photo.

2. FILL THE FRAME. This is the corollary to target fixation. Go ahead, look through your camera at your subject, and fill the entire viewfinder or LCD with your subject. Now Chico the Chihuaha IS the photo, rather than a tiny dot in the center.

3. LOOK AT THE CORNERS. If you do this, you’ll begin to notice distractions which detract from your subject, and it will help you fill the frame. While you’re at it, look in front and behind your subject, too. Remove distractions such as the nine empty whiskey bottles on the table, or the telephone pole sprouting out of Chico’s head (move Chico, not the pole).

4. DON’T JUST STAND THERE. Almost everyone does this: get a nice photo all ready to shoot, then back up, and stand over the folks at the table, after removing the whiskey bottles and the telephone pole and shoot down on the subjects. Get your camera’s lens down at the level of your subject. Chico won’t look so goofy if he’s not looking stupidly up at you. Your kids/grandkids won’t look so nerdy, either. Camera lenses don’t have brains attached to them, and can’t adjust perspective, like our brains with our eyesight.

5. LENS PARALLEL WITH SUBJECT PLANE. This is not as complex as it might sound. Simply hold your camera, once you’ve filled the frame and gotten on the same level with your subject, so the lens is parallel with the main plane of your subject. In almost every case, all this means is make sure you’re holding the camera with the face of the lens vertical, since most of the time you’re taking a photo of a person, a mountain, a bike, or Chico, all of whom are usually sitting or standing up, unless that tenth whiskey bottle is empty.

6. PUT THE LIGHT BEHIND YOU. If possible, stand between your subject and the light source, whether it’s the sun or a window or a lamp. While you’re at it, avoid harsh shadows. Open shade, meaning under a big tree or awning, is ideal. Your camera has a way to add flash, no matter how bright the light is; you can use it to minimize harsh shadow, such as from bright sunlight. Your camera came with a thing called an “Owner’s Manual,” which you’ve no doubt lost, and certainly never read. If you can find it, it will um, illuminate this idea, and your photos will be the better for it.

7. BE FEARLESS. Don’t be afraid of your camera. Set it on “auto” or “green” and let it do its thing. Your job is to see the photo before you take it. When the results are less than satisfactory, throw the durn thing away. The ones you keep will look a lot better. Don’t be afraid of your computer. It is your friend. The digital photo revolution is over; film lost. Almost any photo editing software is user-friendly, and can dramatically improve your photos, with just a few points and clicks. A good free program is Google’s Picasa (google it). You can download it, and it will automatically sniff out every photo on your computer, catalog them by date, and allow you to view them in many different ways. It will also make adjustments to color, exposure, let you crop out the whiskey bottles, and more, again with just points and clicks. Within an hour after you download it and start rummaging around, you’ll be improving your photos. It’s so simple Chico could use it.

8. GET THE RIGHT CAMERA. When people see a really nice photo, they almost always ask “what kind of camera do you use?” Wrong question. The nice photo is a result of attention to all the details mentioned above, and more, and perhaps some digital darkroom adjustment. I can’t think of a camera on the market today that won’t take an excellent photograph. The correct question to ask is, “Will I use this camera, take it with me?” As an example, I have an extremely expensive professional quality digital camera. It’s dusty. I can’t remember the last time I used it. It’s big. It’s heavy. I never think to take it anywhere. I see lots of great photo opportunities, but the camera is at home. I have another digital camera, a tiny little thing. Fits in my pocket. Goes everywhere with me. Guess which one I get nice photos with? So, quit worrying about equipment, and pay attention to your details. [i’ll add one caveat to “which camera”: if you have the time and opportunity to set things up just right, any digital camera will do. But if you don’t, and you snap a shot, say, of a Ducati Monopasta, in a hurry, maybe fixating on the target so it just occupies a small section of the center of the photo, and you have a high megapixel camera, you can, with the aid of your computer, crop out everything but the bike, and still have enough clear resolution to produce a good photo. These days, most reasonably priced digital cameras have 5 or more megapixel capability; that’ll do the trick.]

9. SHOOT LOTS. This is the thing that really improves your photos. You’ve got all the ideas listed here swirling in your head (especially if you assisted with the whiskey bottle emptying), you’re remembering to do some or even all of them, and you take lots and lots of photos. Bingo, one will be better than the others.

Note: Since I wrote the above, smartphone cameras have gotten a lot better. Nowadays, I always have that camera with me; it also lets me instantly send pix through the intergoogie. Excellent for snaps, but I still like my little pocket camera for more composed, "important" pix.

Good suggestion. Once thing many of us forget is that a good wide angle lens, for capturing all those great panoramas on the road, is very nice to have. Personally I could care less what the megapixel (MPX) rating is as long as it's higher than 3.0. Higher MPX is only for the few who are printing something over 12 inches.....something I doubt 5% of us do.

Another suggestion is for the OP to try the camera's menu system. Some are very easy to use, others are totally confusing without the manual in front of you. It that's your only camera you'll learn it eventually, but if you have multiple camera, well.... ;)

And I really want an optical viewfinder for those super bright days.

A camera tripod socket is nice, but it must be located near the center of gravity, not way off to one side.

Personally I really like my Pentax Optio W60. (http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/pentax/optio-w60/pentax-optio-w60-review.html) It's the one I always take on trips, although I might bring one or two others for specific uses. I do a lot of kayaking and snorkeling. It's very small, waterproof (to about 10 ft), very tough, and takes great photos and videos. It's zoom lens is stationary, so it doesn't run the risk of grit getting in the mechanism. It has no optical viewfinder is the only negative. I think they sell for about $250 but mine is about 2 yrs old. It's the camera I never intend to give away or sell. :Cool:

Deek aka adVentureMan

2009 BMW R 1200 RT

2006 BMW R 1200 RT

2007 Royal Star Venture

2007 V-Strom DL1000

2006 VTX 1300R

2005 V* Classic

"...9. SHOOT LOTS. This is the thing that really improves your photos. You’ve got all the ideas listed here swirling in your head (especially if you assisted with the whiskey bottle emptying), you’re remembering to do some or even all of them, and you take lots and lots of photos. Bingo, one will be better than the others...."

I was gonna add this to this thread until I read your post.

On a recent trip to the UK I took over 1000 photos. When I returned home I deleted all but about 200....which for me is pretty good shooting! :)

Another suggestion which you might have also posted: Don't take one shot when you can take 5 of the same subject. I even do that when I volunteer to take a photo of fellow travelers - Take one then say "Hold it for one more". At least they'll have the opportunity to select the better one.

Main reason I want a viewfinder is that to look at a screen I need reading glasses while with the viewfinder I don't need glasses.

We got the Nikon Coolpix 100 with 26x optical zoom for the trip to the UN.

Works as advertised and I threw in a small expandable tripod for shots whils stopped.

Beth took thousands of pictures.

Color on some photos is average, otherwise I really like it.

Was on sale for $349 this weekend at Best Buy.

Main reason I want a viewfinder is that to look at a screen I need reading glasses while with the viewfinder I don't need glasses.

Exactly, Paul, I do find that a bit of an annoyance. However, I've found I can live with it. It was why I homed in on the G series, but when I realized I couldn't fit the thing in my pants pocket I began to consider other options, and ended up with the S90.

"...The bottom line is that the very best possible camera you can buy is the one you will carry with you...."

True!

+1 on this point

Don't make the mistake of getting a camera larger than you can slip into your pocket unless you are used to carrying around a large camera and don't care. I have made this mistake twice in my life (slow learner) and I always went back to a very compact camera.

I prefer the Canon ELPH Series cameras. I just like the form, function, menu system is logical and easy to use, etc. Like others have said, get a viewfinder, look for a 28mm (wide angle) as it will enable more "stuff" to fit into the picture. Forget the mega pixel number - it's really meaningless anymore. Forget digital zoom - optical is all that counts. Some smaller cameras now feature as much as 10X optical.

Most important feature - see quote above - if you don't have it with you then you won't get a very good picture!

Have fun!

CoarsegoldKid

I'm also in the camp that if you don't take it with you it's the wrong camera to own. I have the Canon S90 also because it fits anywhere just about, it has plenty of megapixels for enlargements, and so far only a few times have I wished for more optical zoom. For motorcycle travel it's fine. Read reviews from the professionals on this camera. The one's I read stated that of all the cameras they had available to them the S90 was the one they always took because of it's small size, picture quality and versatility.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to shoot with a Canon EOS something or other with a telephoto zoom. About 1300 dollars at Costco I was told. A larger camera than what Heck wants to be sure. It's a great camera, I enjoyed using it, lots of megapixels, very fast and light weight for a camera of this sophistication. Surely others meet or exceed this same spec. Still I don't think for travel on my motorcycle I would want to use it as much as I do the S90.

I have two. A small point & soot Cannon (with viewfinder) that I always carry plus a Nikon D90 for special trips where I know I am going to want to take a lot of pics. The D90 with the 18-200 lens fits in the top of my tank bag so I can stop and not have to get off the bike for a good shot. The Cannon fits in my pocket and I can even take a quick shot one handed on the bike while traveling. I take the D90 about 1/4 of my rides.

Check out the Panasonic ZS 7 camera. Highly reviewed. Only disadvantage is that it is slippery and no viewport. I installed a neck cord first thing and added felt dots for grip. I rarely miss the viewport anymore but I could not use it anyway with a helmet. Rides in shirt pocket under riding jacket. Pulls out easily, power button a little small but useable, takes good picture even when moving usually. Great zoom image stabilized. I have had all of the ZS series and this is my favorite. GPS picture labeling sure helps too and it works in most developed countries around the world! I have always wondered why GPS won't work in some countries but not enought to investigate. Generally I delete over 10% of my pictures, but not with this camera!

A month ago I drop tested my 2 year old Canon Powershot A710IS.

It failed the test and I was forced to buy a new one.

This time I went with the S95, the successor to the S90.

And I have to say that compared to my A710, image quality is noticeably sharper.

And the video at 720p blows the A710 away.

It's an awesome camera, though pricier than the A710, but worth the difference in my opinion.

John Ranalletta

Paul, I've been playing around with a new G12 since Thanksgiving and am pleased with it. The

controls are small and closely-space; so, it takes some getting used to. Also, IMO the built in flash

isn't producing very good results, i.e. red eye, glare; however, except for action shots, the

G12's low light performance seems to be exceptional. It works with my Canon Speedlite. The S95

doesn't have a hot shoe.

I've been experimenting and will know more later, but I'm glad I choose the G12 over the S95. I think the

techno bits are the same, but I prefer the larger body and controls.

Here are a few candid shots and one macro w/o flash in larger and more intimate settings:

Sorry for the big pix.

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

Outdoors (obviously) with Speedlite.

IMG_0129.JPG

Why not jsut get a HD GoPro. You can use it for still pictures as well as an on motorcycle camera. Its also waterproof so use it on a boat, on your car...etc... I want one but we already bought a camera.

John Ranalletta

I have the HD GoPro which has turned into a dust collector/paper weight. The fish eye lens doesn't lend itself

to still photography. I guess a non-fish eye is available, but haven't checked.

In response to:

Poster: JohnRan

Subject: Re: Travel Camera ??

Paul, I've been playing around with a new G12 since Thanksgiving and am pleased with it. The

controls are small and closely-space; so, it takes some getting used to. Also, IMO the built in flash

isn't producing very good results, i.e. red eye, glare; however, except for action shots, the

G12's low light performance seems to be exceptional. It works with my Canon Speedlite. The S95

doesn't have a hot shoe.

Hows the battery life on the G12?

Thanks all...Might have to ask the Easter Bunny for a camera.

Don't think I will be able to digest all this by Christmas.

Appreciate the collective wisdom...

Happy Holidays.

Heck

I'm a Nikon guy, too, but I love the Canon G12 and prior iterations of that camera. That would be my pick for a compact camera. Read the shootout review on www.DPReview.com.

I do a lot of travel photography and the one feature that has served me the best is having a super wide angle lens. 28mm wide is good but 24mm is better. The reason is that, when traveling you will be taking a lot of landscapes or you will be in an urban environment where you can't back up far enough to get what you want to see in a pic. A church in NYC is a good example.

A high megapixels camera will not result in better photos unless you are planning to print them larger than 8 x 10. When viewing an 8x10 print or on a computer screen a 6mp pic will look virtually the same as the same one taken with a 12mp camera. On the other hand the 12mp camera will be newer and may have a better sensor or processing routines that result in sharper more colorful pics.

While I have high end Nikon equipment, when I am traveling on the bike I use a Coolpix 8400. It has a 24mm - 80mm wide lens and is 8mp. It is compact, lightweight and has all the modes as the high end cameras. The pics are sharp and well exposed.

Note also that one of the benefits of taking high mp images is that you can take that 12mp image and crop it severely and still get the 8mp equivalent.

Thanks folks for the collective wisdom....My wallet won the argument and I ordered a FujiFilm Finepix J40 for the whopping total of 70 bux delivered.

Initial tryout of the camera shows not many frills, but the picture quality is a lot better and I am happy for now.

Gives me time to research all the wisdom and either pop for a better replacement, or use this when mobile and rely on the EOS for more serious endeavors.

Thanks again.

Archived