IGNORED

Best sub 1 mile ride ever !

EddyQ

There may not be any new scenery, or even any turns in the road and much less than a mile of length. But his very first ride on a motorcycle had some real magic that's going to lasts.

DSCI0627.JPG

Over the T-day break, I scooped up this old chinese made 50cc bike and managed to get it running. My boy, whose 7 year old B-day is in a few weeks and has been asking for a motorcycle, received his wish. Only one foot hits the ground at a time, but he managed to ride it at least 50 times around the house enjoying every second. The only reason he stopped was due to his hands getting numb from the cold.

DSCI0632.JPG

This old mini beast needs much love. The tank and carb was full of water which has been there for some time. After taking the carb all appart, I got it to run. Yesterday, my boy and I took both wheels off and re-worked the rust off the drum brakes. Tommorrow, who knows. Maybe we will fix the loose steering or work on getting the lights back up and working. Naturally, after each wrenching exercise comes dozens of circles around the house.

It doesn't get much better than this !

Very cool indeed! What a great opportunity wish I had started with my son that early rather than when he turned 24.

By the way you can say good by to that nice looking lawn :grin:

By the way you can say good by to that nice looking lawn :grin:

Thanks Stephen. No doubt about the lawn. My fertilizer dude retired, my wife wants a ice rink and now this. Aghh. . . In a few years, just a little seed, water and a teen should work. :grin:

Thanks all. He asked to ride every day this week. But it was too dark when I get home from work. :cry: But today, I was home when he got off the bus with it all warmed up (after mucking with the carb for a while)! He looped and looped until it was dark.

The engine is running so bad that it is guttless. If he opened the throttle and held it I still could catch him on foot. But he doesn't. He actually is already quite good on the throttle. I actually don't mind the poor running right now so that as he learns the machine without any speed.

This weekend, I plan to dig into the carb again. Perhaps swap a main jet if I can get one at a dealer. Maybe check valve clearance and change the oil. And as I said, a bunch of loops around the house between all the wrenching.

Awesome! Brings back good memmories. I bought a Yamaha YZ50 for my boys when they were 7 and 9. It needed a lot of work also, but it ran and they loved it. Now they are 24 and 26, and they have always had bikes.

I started the same way, with a Honda QA50 when my brother and I were around 10. We both have bikes also.

Your son is starting an amazing journey!

That's great! And the little guy even has atgatt....

Every kid needs parents like you. Come to think of it, I saw a bumper sticker that said "it's never too late to have a happy childhood". So send me your address, I'm coming over. Me and my new little bro are gonna have a BLAST!

Archived