IGNORED

RIP Leslie Nielsen

Heck

Joe Frickin' Friday

"Frank!"

"Drebin!"

"You're both right!"

Saw in the news this morning that Leslie Nielsen had died. Bummer. I never saw any of his dramatic work, but enjoyed his comedy immensely. It seems like many actors tend to migrate from comedy to drama over the course of their careers - witness Tom Hanks, Steve Martin for example - but Nielsen moved in the other direction, and the results were great.

So long, Shirley. :grin:

Much like Robert DeNiro being able to move back and forth between the genres.

A wonderful legacy of hysterical movies is left for us.

RIP Lt. Drebin

Mayor: Now Drebin, I don't want any trouble like you had on the South Side last year, that's my policy.

Frank: Well, when I see five weirdos, dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy!

Mayor: That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of 'Julius Caesar,' you moron! You killed five actors! Good ones!

:cry:

One of my all time favorites. Airplane and the Naked Gun were movies that helped sculpt my warped view of the world. I watched them over and over and over when I was in late elementary school and Jr. High.

"I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."

I think this was quoted in Airplane at least 3-4 times, and then again in the Scary Movie series, and then again in about 5 Family Guy Episodes. Makes me split my sides everytime I here it.

EDIT: Had to add some more

"I like my sex the way I play basketball, one-on-one with as little dribbling as possible." :rofl:

"Nice beaver!" "Thanks, I just had it stuffed." :rofl:

'Forbidden Planet', where Neilsen played the lead role of spaceship captain, remains one of my favourite '50s sci-fi movies.

His later comedy work however, is what he will be remembered for around the world. Great timing and dead-pan delivery brought a touch of genius to what could have been just flat dialogue.

Andy

I thoroughly enjoyed this man's comedy work as well. Airplane and the Naked Gun series are absolute classics!

RIP to a very good natured actor.

I really enjoyed much of his work.

I was/am a fan of the Due South series and his role, RCMP Sgt. Buck Frobisher, was memorable.

His father was a Mounite and I wonder how that influenced his character on the show.

He teamed with Paul Gross from Due South on a great movie called Men With Brooms which is without a doubt the best curling movie of all time.

'Forbidden Planet', where Neilsen played the lead role of spaceship captain, remains one of my favourite '50s sci-fi movies.

His later comedy work however, is what he will be remembered for around the world. Great timing and dead-pan delivery brought a touch of genius to what could have been just flat dialogue.

Andy

+1. The first time I saw it I realized Mr. Neilsen was playing the one of the lead roles and I really enjoyed his performance.

On the comedy side, I thought his cameos on 'Due South' were wonderful. RIP.

I thoroughly enjoyed this man's comedy work as well. Airplane and the Naked Gun series are absolute classics!

RIP to a very good natured actor.

+ 1

When i was a teen i saw Airplane and it was instantly an all time great. My best friend worked at a movie theatre that used to show Airplane on a saturday midnight movie almost every week. I must have seen that movie 100 times and it was still funny.

Dr. Rumack: These people are very sick, we have got to get them to a hospital.

Elaine: A hospital, what is it?

Dr. Rumack: Its a big building where sick people go, but that isnt important right now....

The naked gun safe sex scene. classic.

Some people make funny movies, some people are funny, but some people have the ability to make you laugh AT them and with them...Mr. Nielsen was great

Joe Frickin' Friday
I think his best movie ever was Forbidden Planet.

Funny, I had seen that movie a long time ago, but never recognized him.

800px-ForbiddenPlanet1-2.jpg

Amazing how much some people's appearance changes as they age...

Im gonna have to breal out that movie and rewatch it...i actually bought it at the $0.99 store...for 99 cents....couldnt pass up a motorcycle movie on CD for 99 cents

If anyone is interested, The Naked Gun: from the files of police squad is on right now on comedy central, started at 11:00am pacific time.

naked gun 33 1/3 is on at 4pm pacific time

and naked gun 2 1/2 is on at 2:30am PT...

Archived