IGNORED

Garage Drop

rtrider2

Just purchased a 2007 r1200rt. Dropped the bike on right side in garage taking off the center stand. Just a couple of visible scratches and the bike rides fine, but am worried about internal damage. Should I have it checked out?

Thanks for the help.

I don't believe the rt would be damaged by a static roll, usually the sidebags take some beating and take some of the impact, and the rest is just fine. valve cover may get some scratches as well.

BMWs are tough cookies.

So far I was fortunate not to experience such thing but others may chime in.

I have never heard of internal motor damage from a zero-speed drop. If the valve cover doesn't have a hole in it, I don't see how anything else could be damaged. If you have crash bars, even less likely.

Exactly what happened when you took it off the stand, to make you drop it? I always have the kickstand down, and stand on the left side with left hand on grip and right hand on luggage rack; pull it forward and immediately start to lean it slightly to the left as it comes down, to make sure it favors the kickstand side.

I doubt that you damaged anything internal, but if you really want to be sure, you could have a dealership open everything up and check.

I figure 36 hrs @ $70 per should do it. It would be good practice for one of their junior techs. ;)

Welcome to the board.

Test ride it, and you'll know if you have a problem. I had a zero speed tip over a few years back on my RT. Caused hesitation, among other damage, which turned out to be something that got diconnected inside the gas tank...

Good luck, at least you got it done at home.

Just saw the bike rides fine, looks like your all set.

Sorry about your fall over. A tip I learned: coming off the center stand turn the front wheel slightly to the right first. This way when the bike hits the ground and rolls a inch or so it tips towards you not away. This is especially useful when the bike is on a lift. In addition, don't leave your bike idling on the side stand. This too can lead to loosing it. New bike, enjoy the heck heck out of it. I suggest you repair any scuffs so they don't remind you and cause mental anguish.

You don't list your location, if you live in the Seattle area, I change tires for free on my tire machine (and balance).

Just purchased a 2007 r1200rt. Dropped the bike on right side in garage taking off the center stand. Just a couple of visible scratches and the bike rides fine, but am worried about internal damage. Should I have it checked out?

Thanks for the help.

Out of curiosity, how did you take the bike off the center stand?

I always mount it, then rock it forward to get it off the center-stand. Only once with I take it off the center-stand while standing beside it; once was enough! I felt I had little control over it.

Oh, I seriously doubt an internal damage from what you described. As long as the valve covers aren't leaking you're surely good to go.

....I always have the kickstand down, and stand on the left side with left hand on grip and right hand on luggage rack; pull it forward and immediately start to lean it slightly to the left as it comes down, to make sure it favors the kickstand side.

I prefer to mount the bike then rock it forward. With my legs on either side of it I feel much more in control. I do like the idea of the kickstand down; insurance.

"...if you live in the Seattle area, I change tires for free on my tire machine (and balance). .."

What a generous man you are! Wish I lived nearer Seattle. :clap:

A tip I learned: coming off the center stand turn the front wheel slightly to the right first. This way when the bike hits the ground and rolls a inch or so it tips towards you not away. This is especially useful when the bike is on a lift.

Good tip, it's what do although I also stand on the RH side when taking it off the center stand or moving it about.

Easy grip for the brake lever. and I can easily push the bike about with my Left hand on the pillion grab rail.

One cavet, I always, always have the side stand down as well and (most important) have got into the habit of checking before I move the bike and checking before I let her over on the side stand. It'll be a problem if the stand is up and your on the wrong side of the bike with no one else about to assist.

Any bike I've dropped has aways without fail gone away from me. With 27 liters of fuel onboard and my height disadvantage, I need the side stand to help if the bike tips away from me to the point I can't get it back.

Worked so far, been doing it for 5 years or so mind (after I last dropped a VFR)

\v/

Sorry about your fall over. A tip I learned: coming off the center stand turn the front wheel slightly to the right first. This way when the bike hits the ground and rolls a inch or so it tips towards you not away.

With hand on front brake for extra control.

Bob:

Thanks for the reply. Just purchased the bike. Have been touring on a Honda NT700V. With the Honda I held both handle grips and rolled the bike forward with the kickstand down. Never had a problem. Read the BMW owners guide and tried it the way you discribed. When setting bike on sidestanded notice my foot was under it and overreated. Man, it was down in a second and I went into shock! Bike was packed for 500 mile tour up the California coast. The tour worked out fine, but constantly worried about damage. -Mike

Ecellent advice! Thanks! Live in California. But, would sure like to take the coast up to Seattle someday. Would be a great ride.

-Mike

You don't list your location, if you live in the Seattle area, I change tires for free on my tire machine (and balance).

Hmmmm....That's very generous of you. Can I get in on that deal? I'll be riding out to Seattle for the start of the Iron Butt Rally next June and I'm thinking I'll probably change the tires once I get there (assuming my current ones can even make it that far).

Dinner and beverages on me!

Survived-til-now

Welcome to the board :)

You need to hone your technique for getting the bike on and off the centrestand. I always hold both grips and I hold the brake on so that the bike cannot run away. I too pull the bike slightly towards me so that the balance of weight is against me until I get the sidestand out. I do not recommend putting the stand out first because if you get a toe under the sidestand you will know all about it.....

Down to damage. I have dropped my BMW's on the drive, and at various speeds; in the process I have demolished sets of plastic guards and taken chunks out of the magnesium head covers. It hasn't caused any internal damage.

Relax - you are not the first, you will not be the last :grin:

Has been mention B4 here in this forum

I read about it some time ago and have never forgotten it.

Turn the bars 1/2- 2/3 right and push forward whilst standing on the LHS. Right Hand minding the brake so when it hits the ground you stop it. Then put the side stand down if not already applied.

Not hard, just common sense and basic hand, eye, bike co-ordination.

Never fails and impossible to drop on the RHS (unless you let go of course)

I reckon if any one fails this, then a big re think is in order.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the help.

it's now broken in! good advice from all.

Mount bike, cover front brake, using both toes push bike forward off stand, apply front brake.......Vertically challenged safe method.... :grin:

Mount bike, cover front brake, using both toes push bike forward off stand, apply front brake.......Vertically challenged safe method.... :grin:

Umm ... my toes don't reach the ground when I'm sitting on my bike with it on the center stand. My preference is to have a spotter (usually my wife or one of the kids) standing on the r.h.s. (for both putting off and putting onto the center stand).

---John.

Survived-til-now
Umm ... my toes don't reach the ground when I'm sitting on my bike with it on the center stand. My preference is to have a spotter (usually my wife or one of the kids) standing on the r.h.s. (for both putting off and putting onto the center stand).

---John.

There is that love a man hath for his bike that exceedeth all other...

Be honest - the spotter isn't there to catch the bike - he/she is there to cushion it against damage when it falls over :grin:

Bob:

Thanks for the reply. Just purchased the bike. Have been touring on a Honda NT700V. With the Honda I held both handle grips and rolled the bike forward with the kickstand down. Never had a problem. Read the BMW owners guide and tried it the way you discribed. When setting bike on sidestanded notice my foot was under it and overreated. Man, it was down in a second and I went into shock! Bike was packed for 500 mile tour up the California coast. The tour worked out fine, but constantly worried about damage. -Mike

RT, that certainly explains it. That would have hurt! I consciously place both feet to the rear of the side stand in it's down position while the bike is on centerstand. Then pull the pillion grab bar while holding the left grip straight. As it comes off centerstand, I pull rearward on pillion bar as soon as bike touches down to stop any forward motion and then pull it over onto the side stand. This feels very secure for me and I have never even come close to letting it get away from me doing it this way. Having the sidestand down works very well for me. I think you were on the right track, just need to position your feet differently.

Edit: ALWAYS wear your BOOTS when maneuvering your moto(s).

---John.

There is that love a man hath for his bike that exceedeth all other...

Be honest - the spotter isn't there to catch the bike - he/she is there to cushion it against damage when it falls over :grin:

Andy, I plead The 5th. However, here's a video that has made its rounds that I still enjoy watching:

. :-O

---John.

---John.

And I thought I was short with a 29" inseam..... :grin:

Never had a problem with this. I often pull it off the center stand while dismounted. It helps to put the side stand down first. Watch the location of your feet, as somebody mentioned. Just give it a little tug in your direction as it comes off the stand. It will lean right over onto the sidestand.

Just an observation,but I don't think I have ever pulled a bike off a center stand while dismounted in 37 years. Granted,many of my bikes never had a center stand,but I just sit on it and rock forward.

Just an observation,but I don't think I have ever pulled a bike off a center stand while dismounted in 37 years. Granted,many of my bikes never had a center stand,but I just sit on it and rock forward.

You should try it--much easier than rocking it off. I also used to rock my bikes off before I got the RT, and for some reason decided to try pulling it off. Now, thats the only way I take any bike off the centerstand.

You should try it--much easier than rocking it off. I also used to rock my bikes off before I got the RT, and for some reason decided to try pulling it off. Now, thats the only way I take any bike off the centerstand.

I am not tall, and with my riding gear on, it is a lot easier to mount the bike when it's on the center stand. I get on like mounting a horse and then rock it off the stand. Works for me, so long as I make sure it's on a secure surface before putting my weight on the peg.

When I want to roll the bike around, I agree that it is very simple to stand next to it and slip it off the stand.

All these comments are familiar. Out of all the comments, wear boots or something with thick soles. Boots are especially handy when both panniers and trunk are loaded and your pulling up on the center stand at the fuel pump. The pillion helps a lot when fully loaded. I've tried to raise to center in tennis/sport shoes that hurts, quickly changed to boots.

You know some of these threads get a response, similar to throwing meat to a pack of dogs.

Archived