IGNORED

New to me R1100RT

cruisin

I've mentioned my great find of a low mileage 1100RT in a couple other threads and I know there are those among us who say, "without pics it didn't happen." Well here she is along side a friend mine's Honda ST1100 that he too, found with very low mileage (about 1/3 what was on my RT). My RT had 12290 miles on it when I picked it up in Omaha Columbus Day weekend. Gotta love those beemer guys who pamper a bike for a few years and then sell them off for pennies on the dollar. :clap:

5335.jpg.99834bc3cb447a779aedaf98587606e2.jpg

Thanks guys,

boatzo, is that your sailboat in your avatar? I just sold my Catalina 22 to bro-in-law to have the funds for this new RT. Our lake has dried up here to the point it is downright hazardous to even try and launch a sailboat so I doubt I will miss much.

Here is another pic with the standard RT luggage instead of the cruiser bags seen in the first pic.

5336.jpg.f833fc911ddfa7949f69a438cd37650a.jpg

Very nice bike; to bad its blue and not black because black is really fast

ah, that may well be but Opal is counted among the stealthier colors; :eek:

Thanks guys,

boatzo, is that your sailboat in your avatar? I just sold my Catalina 22 to bro-in-law to have the funds for this new RT. Our lake has dried up here to the point it is downright hazardous to even try and launch a sailboat so I doubt I will miss much.

Here is another pic with the standard RT luggage instead of the cruiser bags seen in the first pic.

Yes, that is our other home. She is an Allmand 35 pilot house sloop. We sail the Chesapeake Bay which has not dried up yet :P. It is very difficult to divide the time between the boat and the Beemer :Cool:

Nice. This is the best color for the RT IMO. Congrats.

I purchased a 1997 one recently with 30xxx miles. Will post pics soon.

BTW is that the custom seat you make yourself on the bike?

Thanks.

Nice. This is the best color for the RT IMO. Congrats.

I purchased a 1997 one recently with 30xxx miles. Will post pics soon.

BTW is that the custom seat you make yourself on the bike?

Thanks.

as a matter of fact they are. If/when I can get the wife to ride she is quite happy on my custom compared to the OEM passenger seat. And, the rider's seat is about 1.5" lower and 2" narrower to allow for the amount of my own verticle challenges.

EffBee,

I love the Boston green. those are some serious looking fog lights you have there. I bet they make people take notice. Like a few others have noted, I like the older RTs better than the new ones. Mainly because I want my motorcycles to be similar to the way I want my women; soft smooth, curves instead of flat panels and angels. And so what if they are a bit heavier; that's just more to love. ;)

Nando,

That Forrest green is awesome, but I loved my Glacier Green, it always drew lots of comments. I too, like those fog lights. Would like to know more about the mounting brackets. Sorry for the hi-jack.

BTW, crusin, I like the opal too, much faster than black.

Nando,

That Forrest green is awesome, but I loved my Glacier Green, . . .

I never know what to call that dark green; some say forrest green others say Boston green and still others call it hunter green. What is the official BMW name for it? Inquiring cruisins want to know. :eek::S

Nando,

. . . I too, like those fog lights. Would like to know more about the mounting brackets. Sorry for the hi-jack.BTW, crusin, I like the opal too, much faster than black.

hi-jack?! heck we're still talking about 1100RTs aren't we?

While we're talking about additional lighting, my personal preference is to have the extra driving lights as far as possible from the main hedlight, (see under my heads). The reasoning being they do a couple of things for you:

1. provide a larger front profile for others to detect.

2. provide an "apparent separation" on approach for others' subconscious to judge speed and distance. (Not possible with them too close to the headlight.)

Of course with the driving lights down low like I have mine, they don't do much for me having better road lighting. But my primary purpose in additional lighting (front and rear) is to increase my conspicuity and therefore safety. I don't do enough night driving to warrant mounting lights up high for better road lighting. Especially considering how well the PIAA H-4 bulbs work.

I have the same problem about the correct name for the dark green, but I still like it. Maybe Nando will straighten us out on that?

When I had my RT, my PIAA lights were installed below the headlight under the fairing in front of the oil cooler. They gave pretty good light coverage on the road, but I don't know how they appeared to other drivers. (Especially cages with the driver on a cell phone :mad:). I have the same configuration on my LT.

I always had toyed with the idea of installing lights on the lower forks so they would turn and aim with the steering. In any case, to be seen is the biggey. Some is good, more is better, and too much is just right. :thumbsup:

hijack..

Would you mind sharing how you lowered your seats. Any pictures or notes will be great help.

don't mind at all;

first, I cut away most of the foam in the center with an electric knife. Kept the front and back parts to retain proper curvature and then replaced the parts I cut away with about 2" Arma-flex insulation (cut from 1" thick sheets) and shaped it with the knife and an electric iron then had an upholstery shop make new covers. Next I cut away the top notch on the driver's seat adjustment mechanism and removed the rubber spools (front and back) from under the seat. Third, I cut into the pan at the back and part way down the sides at a natural crease; allowing the back portion to drop slightly and flex a little as I sit on it. The biggest gain in lowering, however was from the custom Ohlins shocks; 1.5" in the rear and 0.75" in the front.

Archived