IGNORED

Tire options for 1150RT

cali_beemer

So, I determined after yesterdays inspection that the bike needs new tires. I am trying to decide on what tires to get. I had a roadsmart form tire on my 1200RT and it seemed good but wearing a bit fast. On teh FJR forum there are alot of negative experiences with the Roadsmarts and tread seperation. I have heard good things about the Piliot Road 2. I think I rememebered seeing a post of running a piliot road 2 rear and a piliot race front. Any recomendations? The bike had Metzler marrathons on it now so anything should be better.

My 1150RT has Metzeler Z6's on it now, and in the limited mileage I have on those since purchasing the bike, I do like the tires.

My personal preference is Michelin Pilot Roads usually. I've ran through 4 sets of those on my Hayabusa and I really like them.

I have also gone through 2 sets of the Dunlop Roadsmarts on the Hayabusa, and they have been a good tire as well, and this coming from someone who doesn't really care for Dunlops. I have not experienced any sort of tread separation, and I managed close to 13,000 miles out of each set of tires.

I am running a mixed bag of Roadsmart on the rear and PR2 on the front.

Handling and braking seem fine and mileage is over 8k on rear and 6k on the front.

The rear will probably last another 1k and the front is about 2/3 gone.

I ran a Roadsmart on the front the last time and it was done in about 5.5k.

I'll probably stick with the mixed bag but I would like to try a PR2 on the rear.

But this combo seems to last and grip pretty well.

Good luck with your search.

I have been running PR2s on my RT for the last 3 sets. They last well (10k+) and stick at least as well as anything I have tried. The profile does not square off (I may actually come out even, middle to edges, this time).

The only issue I can come up with is that the higher the mileage, the more noise they make. This is not a problem for my almost deaf self, but just something to be aware of. I have found ALL michelin tires do this to one degree or another.

Ryan,

I ran 2 sets of Z6s', then a set of PR2's. Tried the ME880's then a set of RoadSmarts. Now I'm running the BridgeStone BT-023 rear and BT-023GT front.

Loved the wet and dry grip of the Z6's but not the wear. Loved the wet and dry grip of the PR2's but the noise and low miles kept from from a second set. Hated the ME880's. Front end slid a few too many times. They lasted longer than anything else but never gave me the confident feeling of many other tires.

The RoadSmarts had good grip but the front wore out way faster than anything else I've run.

Currently running the Bridgestones. Loving them so far. Hopefully I get decent mileage out of them.

I don't know if you ride aggressively or not. I like grip and I ride in the winter so wet grip matters too.

Good luck!

Ryan,

I ran 2 sets of Z6s', then a set of PR2's. Tried the ME880's then a set of RoadSmarts. Now I'm running the BridgeStone BT-023 rear and BT-023GT front.

Loved the wet and dry grip of the Z6's but not the wear. Loved the wet and dry grip of the PR2's but the noise and low miles kept from from a second set. Hated the ME880's. Front end slid a few too many times. They lasted longer than anything else but never gave me the confident feeling of many other tires.

The RoadSmarts had good grip but the front wore out way faster than anything else I've run.

Currently running the Bridgestones. Loving them so far. Hopefully I get decent mileage out of them.

I don't know if you ride aggressively or not. I like grip and I ride in the winter so wet grip matters too.

Good luck!

Thanks Russ, I have always likes the way bridgestone tires feel on my other bikes but i have never tried the 023 tires. I was pretty much narrowed down to the Pr2's and the Roadsmarts beofre you mentioned the Bridgestones. The roadsmart on my 1200RT had pretty good grip but it was wearing fast. I ride in the winter as well so the wet traction is important to me. My new bike has ME880's and when I went into my first good lean the bike slid out. Although the tires feel hard like they are pretty old.

Why the GT model up front? I see the Bridgestones are less expensive so they may be worth a try.

my vote is for Dunlop Roadsmart's. On my 2nd set now and I really appreciate how quiet they are. No howling when leaned off center like the Pilot Road's and Z6's I had previously.

Likes: Grip, handling, ride quality, rear tire dual compound

Dislikes: Only rear tire is dual compound so front wears quicker

RPG

my vote is for Dunlop Roadsmart's. On my 2nd set now and I really appreciate how quiet they are. No howling when leaned off center like the Pilot Road's and Z6's I had previously.

RPG

I've just put a Roadsmart on the back of the new RT and am curious about how many miles to expect from it. So far, (1500 miles) I like the way it grips the road.

The eternal quest for tires. So far Metzler 880s for wear, Shinko Ravens for Miles per Dollar, Michelin PR2s for best feel, Numerous brands for best stick, YOMV and will!

Well, I ended up ordering the Bridgestone 023's. I did some research and found only positive feedback but the motivating part was that they were nearly 50 bucks less for the pair. I have had good luck with Bridgestone tires in the past, so I figured I will give them a try.

All this talk of tires makes me wonder if it would be worthwhile to attempt to keep a database here in a spreadsheet form so that everyone could take a glance at what others have tried and what the results have been. The sheet could include boxes to check for riding style, types of roads, which bike, climate variations, one-up/two-up ratios, etc. and cost of each tire, so all the factors could be weighted and come up with a cost per mile to use each type of tire.

Why the GT model up front? I see the Bridgestones are less expensive so they may be worth a try.

I chose the GT for the front as the GT series is for heavy sport touring models. I am definitely a "heavy" sports tourer :rofl: They only make two sizes in the GT series, the front fits, the rear is a 180/55 :cry: no workie on the RT. I did check with Bridgestone and they said no concern on mixing the GT and non-GT :thumbsup: . So far, so good....

Russ

All this talk of tires makes me wonder if it would be worthwhile to attempt to keep a database here in a spreadsheet form so that everyone could take a glance at what others have tried and what the results have been. The sheet could include boxes to check for riding style, types of roads, which bike, climate variations, one-up/two-up ratios, etc. and cost of each tire, so all the factors could be weighted and come up with a cost per mile to use each type of tire.

It may be a hopeless task. Sales put prices all over the place, and wear seems to be highly variable, possibly based on road surface more than anything else. However, if you used a Google docs approach, you could make a spreadsheet available to all, so that you wouldn't be stuck with data entry.

I chose the GT for the front as the GT series is for heavy sport touring models. I am definitely a "heavy" sports tourer :rofl: They only make two sizes in the GT series, the front fits, the rear is a 180/55 :cry: no workie on the RT. I did check with Bridgestone and they said no concern on mixing the GT and non-GT :thumbsup: . So far, so good....

Russ

Well, I got the GT model front as well, same setup. For the price its worth a try. If the roadsmarts werent so expensive I may have done those but my front wore out really fast like around 4-5k miles. Too little wear for too high a price which is too bad becasue I loved the traction and handling of that tire. I have just had issues with a slippery feeling of PR's (I cant remember if they were the originals or the 2's). I didnt want to toss more coin to find out I still dont like them. I like that the Bridgestones are a dual compound rear as well.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

my rear 'stinko' (Shinko Raven 009) lasted me 11 months (many of them quiescent 'hiberal' ones...) and 13400 KM (at which point was down to the cords)

i am not much of a leaner (i.e i am a wimp in the corners) .... but it seemed to work fine.

talk about cheap - only 89$ (and i installed it myself - on a piece of cardboard on the floor in the garage using tire irons - and a lot of sweating and grunting!)

however - and the point of me posting - be advised: the profile of the stinkos is wide - barely enough room to get the tire thru the gap in the rear swingarm... interferes with the final drive pivot bolt. it is due to this i went with PR2 this time round. turns out my new PR2 rumbles a lot - i have seen other complain about this too on other threads.

ymmv.

RPG

I've just put a Roadsmart on the back of the new RT and am curious about how many miles to expect from it. So far, (1500 miles) I like the way it grips the road.

Cruisin',

so far I'm over 10k but will replace before next spring. As I said, it's the first set of tires I've had on the RT where the rear outlasted the front.

RPG

I am happy with the Roadsmarts. Unless I find a smokin deal on something else I will buy them again.

Front is 9000mi but it is ready to replace.

Rear is 9000mi and has a couple of thousand left.

The original Pilot Roads are still available and at a good price. They are stable, soft riding, and long lasting. Only gripe is noise. Some people like them better that the PR2.

Archived