IGNORED

GPS Mounts for the 1150RT

cali_beemer

I need to mount my garmin 2730 and GXM 30 to the 1150RT. The bike came with a BMW dash shelf and accesory shelf addition but the shelf seems big, almost too big. What other options do I have? I would prefer to go on the cheap side, the bike is costing me enough already, but after mounting the GPS above the dash on the Vstrom, I have grown to appreciate it there. I already have a RAM arm attachment set up along with Garmin cradle. I know I can always put the antenna under the fairing, so I mainly just need a good RAM mounting poitn up there.

I had the Gadget Guy mount on my 1150 and found it to be the best by far. Very solid with no shaking or vibration issues. A little more difficult to install and expensive but it is clearly the best mount on the market IMO.

Well those are nice and I have seen them beofre but they are a bit too expensive for me right now. I may jest need to install the BMW shelf that I have for shor term. I have a ole to run the wires down it but I have no clue where people runt he wires into the dash.

I installed a RAM ball mount under the top fairing of my RT. I epoxy'd a curved metal plate to the plastic inside of the dash in the space between the dash and the top fairing to spread the load or stress. I then screwed a RAM ball to the plate from below. I also installed a Powerlet outlet to the right of my fog light switch. There is a little vibration with the mount when I use my heavier Garmin Zumo up there, but none with the lighter Garmin 60 CSX or my Sirus radio. It was very cheap and works.

GPS2.jpg

GPS1.jpg

I like that unit but its still 115 dollars shipped. I was hoping to be around 50 bucks or less. (I am a cheap bastard :grin:)

For under $50, you're talking about used or bubble gum on your tank bag :grin:

I like that unit but its still 115 dollars shipped. I was hoping to be around 50 bucks or less. (I am a cheap bastard :grin:)

For under $50, you're talking about used or bubble gum on your tank bag :grin:

Check out the Ram Mount site. I have mine mounted on the brake reservoir with the reservoir cover mount and an arm (which you said you have) up from there to a clip-in for my TomTom. I suspect they have them for the Garmin as well. It cost me well under $50 for the clip-in mount and the base plate. Heck, even if you didn't have the arm you would still be under $50.

Admittedly, this set up is less permanent looking, but I share my GPS between vehicles. I run a powerlet adapter to the tankbag and run the power cord from the GPS down the right handlebar to the bag. Nice and high, adjustable, doesn't block the view of the dash and no drilling needed.

Archived