IGNORED

I hope this is not a sign of things to come

scott r1200rt

scott r1200rt

Have a 2010 rt. Bought it back in September. The fuel strip was junk right off the show room floor. Now i was out for a ride today and the front end did not feel right so i went to check the tire pressure and saw all the oil. Blown front shock or maybe a loose fitting. either way, i can't ride. i am lucky i have a dealer 7 miles from my house. But that will be the second time in the shop in 2600 miles. Has anyone eles have this happen to a new bike? Thanks

scott

Sure its shock oil? Dripping off the bottom of the shock? Not brake fluid..?

It is thought by many (myself included) that the BMW OEM shocks are garbage. I have a '10 GS and will be repacing them with Ohlins soon (around 8K miles).

Its not ESA is it?

I have an '09 with zero issues so far. Most seem to be pretty much trouble free, so this could be a one off. I know...easy for me to say.

Low mileage blown front shock is a first that I've heard.

Morning Scott

It happens

I know of a 3 late model BMW GS’s that have had low mileage rear shock failures (leaking oil).

My last 1200RT had 3 final drive failures before 6,000 miles, a brand new final drive installed on the last failure and it then went on trouble free.

One of my current bike’s is on it’s 5th fuel gauge strip and it is malfunctioning again.

A whole slew of late model BMW RT’s and GS’s have been recalled for possible failing brake lines.

A problem with the new BMW cam head cam phasing causing stalling, and the list goes on.

I would be surprised if your dealer has your front shock in stock so they might have to order it in for you.

scott r1200rt

I traded my 08 rt for this 2010 and other than the recalls, I had no problems with the 08. I also had an 04 r1150r, an 04 r1100s prep, that was my favorite, and 07 r1200r, that was my second favorite. I do like the rt a lot, just not quite as much fun to ride but a whole lot more comfy for me. I will bring it in on Tue. and see what they say. I hope it is quick turn around, we are running out of time here in NH.

scott

Welcome to the world of LEGENDARY BMW Motorcycles. Just remember, it doesn't matter how much you pay, it will still have quality problems...and being Legendry just means a person or thing is known for something...in this case it is the level of quality in relationship to its premium asking price.

Buying a new motorcyle... or car is a crap shoot Scott. No matter what brand it is there is a small chance you'll get one with some serious problems or at worse, one that is a lemon. My '94 R1100RS was more or less a lemon but BMW kept it going under warranty. I figure the cost to BMW exceeded $8 thousand. My 2005 R1200RT has had one problem (horn shutting off) in 97 thousand plus miles. BTW the shocks are Wilbers and have been on for 95K+ miles. Anyway I hope your dealer and BMW take care of your issues with your new RT. It is the finest bike I've ever owned and it will bring you many miles of pleasure.

BMW OEM shocks are garbage

My 2000 RT_P went 122000 on stock shock, the rear was starting to weep. Not what I'd call junk. Some folks are picky beyond belief. But they always believe their own sense of truth..

My 2000 RT_P went 122000 on stock shock, the rear was starting to weep. Not what I'd call junk. Some folks are picky beyond belief. But they always believe their own sense of truth..

I agree, I have never had an after market shock, OEM are good enough for me.

Well i am on my 3rd BMW after lengthy stints on a GPz, CBR and KLR (still have the KLR!). My 03GT gave me 76k miles of happiness with the only problem being i could never really get used to the brick motor. Next was a 07GT, 43k miles of triple digits daily! Two problems, air box issues right off the floor which took them 3 attempts to correct. The other issue was the end of the GT. Cam chain guide crapped out and the result was a chewed up motor. Covered by warranty of course (extended warranty that is). I just couldn't trust it anymore so i stepped down a notch.....09 RT! Three fuel strips and a new front shock (it locked up) before i hit 3k miles. No other issues and i have 12k on it now. I can truly say i have found the perfect bike.

Also the RT's front forks are oil filled with seals as well, and those tend to blow and leak from time to time, which is quite annoying. Mine blew but were fortunately fixed under warranty. They are a PITA to replace.

I agree, I have never had an after market shock, OEM are good enough for me.

+1, much better performing shock than in my other bikes

Archived