IGNORED

New Dealer Advice

BMWJustin

Just got back from a trip around some dealers in the S.E. Just doing some research. I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. With the business plan and the info we have gotten from you all and our research we hope to do it right! Happy Holidays!

Hey guys, just wanted to put in a good word for Justin and his business partner, Thomas. I met them today at a lunch they had in Asheville. We got to see their architectural plans for their new dealership in Biltmore Village and it indeed looks like a good place to meet and hang out. Got some more info on Justin's background and it looks like they have their heads on straight. They said they have visited over 10 BMW shops in the Southeast to see what others are doing. Sounds like they are really seeing what works and what doesn't, which is always good in planning an investment like this dealership. I recommend people check em out when they open up this Spring... if I recall they are shooting for sometime in April. I think they will do just fine, what with Thomas' business acumen and Justin's motorcycling passion. Plus, their location sounds really great.

Hey guys, just wanted to put in a good word for Justin and his business partner, Thomas. I met them today at a lunch they had in Asheville...

+1. It sounds like they have really done their homework, have vision and a thoughtful plan that should help them to become a world class dealer. I rode by the future location today, which looks promising though it certainly needs some serious revising (as expected at this stage) before the anticipated April 1 opening day.

:lurk:

Jay

• 5 weeks later...

You've gotten some good information in this thread. BMW owners are a different and varied sort. We can be cheapskates, but we're not afraid to spend $$$ for quality. We (at least think we) are pretty knowledgeable about the motorcycle market, and usually are pretty knowledgeable about our own bikes. I suspect that lots of us can turn our own wrenches, but pick the times not to.

It's a treat to find a dealer who has something we hadn't heard of, or hadn't been able to see in person. Overall, we want to be loyal, but we've got long memories (of the good and bad). We know you can't make us all happy, but respect the effort to try to. If we're familiar faces, don't let that familiarity make us invisible. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I realize I'm a little late to the party...

I have a dealer 15 minutes away, and one 2 1/2 hours away.

The closer one missed out on my first BMW purchase in 2005. I went there on my lunch break for an hour on three separate days. The only interaction I received was a bashing of my current ride on the third visit. This is a shop with no more than 3000 sqft of retail/showroom space and only one customer. I bought my 2005 R1200RT elsewhere.

I went back to the same shop for accessories and service, only to discover everything was priced above list and that, again, no one wanted to speak to me. I moved on and purchased my RT from Rockford BMW one month later. I've been back to this dealership several times over the years and their attitude hasn't changed.

I went to visit Morton's during that next month while out riding and was blown away. Friendly, attentive service, reasonable prices, and a staff that was very knowledgable about riding. They got all of my business.

Fast forward to last November, and I've arranged to purchase a 2008 K1200GT from Chicago. My wife had seen nothing but pictures and was somewhat hesitant, so I took her to Morton's just to show her the model. Morton's 07 was priced higher than the 08 in Chicago and I told them so just to be clear. I explained that I was getting a one year newer bike for ~$1K less and they were understanding. When they found out I'd never ridden that model they handed me a helmet, rolled the scoot out the door, and sent me on a test ride. All of this knowing I was purchasing the bike elsewhere.

I will continue to give all of my business to Morton's. Justin, I hope this helps your business succeed.

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

Hello Justin, great to have a local dealer. Looks like I am finally within 5 miles of a BMW dealer. I hate to wait at the parts counter without being acknowledged and then while being taken care of, being interrupted by the phone while the parts guy looks up 10 items for the guy at home. That changed me from riding 60 miles and supporting my local to just ordering online. Will ride by soon to see the progress. Best of luck.

Sorry I haven't been on recently, paperwork, permits, setting up newsletter, website etc... has been keeping us very very busy! Thanks everyone for their insight and the kind words.

Mike: very good insight. It seems everyone has these types of experiences and its great you found a dealer as loyal to you as you are to them.

Sandy: Nice to hear you are in the area! It does seem on our travels to dealers recently I haven't been acknowledged by some- not good business practice. I look forward to meeting you.

Have stayed at the hotel right across from your new location this past summer. Hope to do a weekend trip there this Spring and will plan to stop in.

One additional suggestion that I have not seen yet. Given your location right off the BRP and other great riding areas, you'll most likely get a lot of out of town visitors. Your staff should be knowledgeable about some local riding routes and must ride roads. For instance, your staff should be able to suggest a road like Hwy 209 that is West of Asheville going up into Hot Springs.

Looking forward to a visit.

Have stayed at the hotel right across from your new location this past summer. Hope to do a weekend trip there this Spring and will plan to stop in.

One additional suggestion that I have not seen yet. Given your location right off the BRP and other great riding areas, you'll most likely get a lot of out of town visitors. Your staff should be knowledgeable about some local riding routes and must ride roads. For instance, your staff should be able to suggest a road like Hwy 209 that is West of Asheville going up into Hot Springs.

Looking forward to a visit.

If you're going to suggest routes, it might be nice to have them available to download to gps as day loops from your place or just coordinates to food and scenic attractions in the area. Hey, it never hurts to ask.

----

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

Hey Justin, I failed to mention a dealer I think does it Right. Max's. He supports the local clubs, he has pickup and delivery of bikes for sevice, a comfortable lounge, techs that can talk to you, an excellant memory for names, good sevice that do what they say they will do and check with you about stuff they may find, Demo rides, a newsletter emailed out regularly, speaking of email he emailed a reminder to me about the recalls (my local dealer did not).

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any news on proposed new dealer in Asheville , went by building and didn't see anything happening. ?????

Sorry I have been MIA for a while but lots has been going on at the shop. Here is our first newsletter that just went out. I couldn't get my Mailchip newsletter to link up to the forum but I will keep working on it, until then here is the text of our newsletter and hopefully it gives everyone some insight on what we have been up to. If anyone would like to be added to the email list and receive the full newsletter please PM me. I hope everyone has been able to get out and enjoy the wonderful weather! For daily updates and pictures of the progress please look at our facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eurosport-Asheville/193810190634150

Newsletter #1 Eurosport Asheville - BMW, Husqvarna, and Vespa

Introducing, Eurosport Asheville

As we get closer to Opening we have seen/heard a need for a newsletter to keep everyone up to date on the dealership and what is going on.

We have received many email addresses and we hope everyone finds this newsletter interesting and informative. Eurosport Asheville is the vision of Thomas Montgomery and myself, Justin Roberts. From a young age Thomas was on two wheels and it has carried over to his adult years. Thomas' background is in the restaurant business. His most recent venture, 12 Bones, has been a huge success to say the least. With most of his time currently spent in his restaurants Thomas still loves to take a ride down the parkway or hit some dirt on his Husqvarna 510. I will be the General Manager of the shop. My focus will be on the sales side of things but in this team we will all pitch in where needed. I have been in the motorcycle industry over 6 years holding positions as parts manager, business manager, general manager, and owner. I am a self proclaimed asphalt kid but I have recently found a second love in enduro riding! Thomas and I are very excited to bring BMW Motorcycles, Husqvarna, and Vespa to Asheville! We have been working day in and day out to compose a team of passionate and experienced enthusiasts.

In the coming weeks through this newsletter we will introduce you to our team. We are in the early stages of our building improvements and barring weather or other delays, we hope to commence the construction of the showrooms, offices and service areas in a few weeks. Recently we have spent time at dealerships across the southeast and west coast listening to customers and dealers all the while using this info to finalize our business plan. Our focus is to become highly respected for the quality of our service department and the way we treat every single customer and prospective customer who walks through our doors. Our goal is to make Eurosport Asheville a positive experience for all. Focusing on enhancing the experience of all the different riding communities from the enduro to the IBA riders, from the track day riders to the single track we will have something for everyone regardless of surface.

Inside the shop we will feature some uniqueness, with the help of our wonderfully talented family and friends we have started handcrafting our furniture. All of our cabinets, counters, lockers, and stands will be made by yours truly out of cherry purchased from Gennett Lumber. Eurosport Asheville will be sophisticated enough for the new rider yet old school enough for your dad! We are always open to suggestions so please email us. Thanks and we look forward to this ADVENTURE!

Thank you,

Thomas Montgomery & Justin Roberts

• 4 months later...

I knew posting this would put myself and the dealership out there in the open, vulnerable to everyone- good and bad, but I am so happy I did. I was taught many years ago it is best to listen first. From the input we recieved we have been able to base some of our initial system decision and business ideas on. I want to thank everyone on this forum for their input. I know I have been MIA for what seems like months. We have been working so hard the past few months to open and it is finally here. We have worked on refining our business plan from what we have heard from you, the customers and I hope we are able to do everyone here and everyone in the motorcycle community proud. Again I wanted to say thank you and I hope to one day meet everyone at a rally, on a ride or at the shop. Below is a link to our latest newsletter I just sent out:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f750ae3a213f4d51bfcb27567&id=aea6df9975&e

Sincerely,

Justin Roberts

Excellent Justin :wave::thumbsup:. Best wishes for a great opening week! If I weren't working all day Tuesday then I'd be there on the first day. Instead, I'll see you this Friday.

Jay

Justin, good luck. It really is nice to see new businesses opening in this climate, and I hope yours thrives. I patronize my local dealer and haven't had any problems there, so I have nothing to add as far as advice from a customer's point of view that hasn't been said.

As a student of business and a salesman at a small business for 13 years, I can tell you horror stories about customers the way these guys have been telling you horror stories about dealers. You need not only to be aware of horror stories about dealers and avoid making those mistakes, but also to be aware of horror stories about customers and avoid those customers. There is a learning curve there, and over time "gut feel" will tell you who is who when they walk in the door.

One rule of thumb that I've found true for better or worse is called "Pareto's Principle," which essentially says that 80% of results are born from 20% of causes. As in, 20% of your customers - the good ones - are going to give you 80% of your profit. Conversely, 80% of your headaches are going to come from a 20% core group of "bad customers." The ones who complain endlessly, the ones who kick tires for months and buy nothing, the ones who take up your salesman's time for hours looking at accessories and then go home and buy online to save 5%, month after month. The ones who, in short, do not understand the concept of local value added and only care about the immediate savings for their purchase that moment.

Success in a textbook case is listening to your customers, treating them well, making them happy to spend money in your shop. Success in reality also includes the accument to apply Pareto's Principle in such a way that you are truly responsive to those 20% who are keeping food on your table, and by the same token carefully weeding out the bad 20% so they go elsewhere and become someone else's headache. It's not pleasant to talk about, but a fact of life in small business is that "the customer is always right" can keep your doors open if applied to the RIGHT customers, and can close them just as fast if applied to the WRONG ones.

Again, good luck!

-MKL

Paul Mihalka

:thumbsup: Excellent! A great destination from the UN!

Justin, would you put the address and directions to find the shop here? Some of us may visit you from our UNrally in Little Switzerland. Your website does not have directions yet.

Justin, would you put the address and directions to find the shop here? Some of us may visit you from our UNrally in Little Switzerland. Your website does not have directions yet.

Paul, according to their Facebook page, their address is:

30 Bryson Street, Asheville, NC 28803

BEST OF LUCK... Great to hear of new shops opening.

+1, Good Luck!

I miss my 2 local shops, the existing ones in NJ are not so local to me..

Thanks for all the kind words. We are so excited to get the doors open tomorrow. I look forward to meeting everyone and showing you around the shop. Mark you are correct, our address is:

30 Bryson St.

Asheville, NC 28803

Phone: 828.255.6600

It is easy to find, right off I40 exit 50 towards the Biltmore Estate. We are directly behind Wendys and Kinkos you can see the BMW signage. Large white building, lots of parking, (42 spots).

Justin:

Sorry for the late reply to this, but I just started in this BB. I live in Raleigh but would gladly travel to Asheville for service, if it is worth it, To echo what a myriad of others have said, here is my experience:

Local delaer in Raleigh, I was finally in the market for a bike. I had some cash, but not a ton and would have to finance the rest of it. I was not ignorant, I knew what I could afford and what kind of medel/bike I wanted. I knew I could not get new, and that a used bike with around 40k-50k was in my future. Yet when I was at this dealer, I was told that since I was a payment buyer, he really did not want to work with me. To say I was a tad pissed would be an understatement. I will not even go in there for service, despite the fact that there service department is incredible and well liked. I refuse to give a dime of MY money to tht dealer due to this one event. I bought my bike from a dealer 90 minutes away, who treated me like a human despite not dropping $20k on a bike. The gentleman that will do my work is very involved with the local BMWOA group(s). I met him at a breakfast ride in. He heard my bike (as I was leaving to go home) and came over and gave a quick looksy. Gave me a few ideas of the possible problem (already knew I needed a new stick coil) and gave me an on the spot estimate. I was blown away. I canceled my appointment at another place, that was A LOT closer to take it to him in a few weeks. Yes I may have only spent $7,500 on my first bike, but my second will be more. My local dealer will not see any of that money, even if they are cheaper. I can not wait to see your shop and hopefully give you some business. Also, this is slightly off key, but since you are near the BRP, and many people ride that off business hours, or find the issues during dinner or in the morning, non-tradiitonal hours may be something to look into.

Again, thank yoo so much for bringing BMW to Asheville and I wish you the best of luck. I do know I will be there in the near future when you open.

Jerry in Monument

I have 2 options for BMW dealers; one south of me, 15 miles, in Colorado Springs that shares the building with H-D dealership, and one north of me, 35 miles, in Denver (Aurora). I have not visited Foothills BMW yet.

After a couple of visits to both, I will gladly drive to Denver when I need anything from the dealer.

It seems to me that since Pikes Peak BMW merged with the H-D dealership and moved off the hill on 21st Street, the entire attitude has changed.

Where it used to be that the employees were friendly and eager to talk, now it seems like they are being put out if I intereupt their conversation about their weekend activities. Service questions/needs get shuffled off to the H-D end of the building where there is definitely and attitude if your not a H-D rider. They also don't seems to know answers to BMW specific questions without having to track down 2-3 other people.

BMW of Denver, the people have always been friendly, taken time to talk and answer questions. Very knowledgeable staff. Have not had any issues with getting answers.

Add to that the $20/hr difference in shop rate and BMW of Denver wins for me.

Might get a chance for a look while at Un next week though there isn't much to see at a dealership if you already are familiar with the product line.

The location near the mountains suggests that doing business with touring riders may be an opportunity but traditional bike shop hours have always been incompatible with the real needs of touring riders who may need assistance on Sun and Mon. IMO the bike industry's lame behavior of leaving a machine with a Sat problem unsupported until Tues is one of many reasons most people don't see motorcycles as serious transport (and those of us who do tend to be our own mechanics removing that potential business from dealerships} Perhaps there is profit in non-traditional hours if a proper balance of costs can be established.

DavidEBSmith
The location near the mountains suggests that doing business with touring riders may be an opportunity but traditional bike shop hours have always been incompatible with the real needs of touring riders who may need assistance on Sun and Mon. IMO the bike industry's lame behavior of leaving a machine with a Sat problem unsupported until Tues is one of many reasons most people don't see motorcycles as serious transport (and those of us who do tend to be our own mechanics removing that potential business from dealerships} Perhaps there is profit in non-traditional hours if a proper balance of costs can be established.

Slight hijack, but we have a somewhat local independent shop, MotoRider in Kenosha, WI, that makes a point of being open and having a mechanic around 7 days a week. The owner is a serious enthusiast who also has his own motorcycle collection on site and he's made exactly this point - motorcyclists are most likely to need service on weekends and need to be on their way on Monday.

Thanks for all the kind words. We are so excited to get the doors open tomorrow. I look forward to meeting everyone and showing you around the shop. Mark you are correct, our address is:

30 Bryson St.

Asheville, NC 28803

Phone: 828.255.6600

It is easy to find, right off I40 exit 50 towards the Biltmore Estate. We are directly behind Wendys and Kinkos you can see the BMW signage. Large white building, lots of parking, (42 spots).

Pssst. Make sure you have the highest-quality, best-selling heated gear in your store come winter. It's not only good revenue, it keeps your customers out on the road longer and that means more tires, oil, service parts and service work for your dealership. :thumbsup:

Paul Mihalka

Pssst. Make sure you have the highest-quality, best-selling heated gear in your store come winter. It's not only good revenue, it keeps your customers out on the road longer and that means more tires, oil, service parts and service work for your dealership. :thumbsup:

Now Fernando, in your opinion which brand is in your opinion the highest-quality, best-selling heated gear on the market? :grin:

Thanks guys we are looking forward to the future and hopefully getting the chance to build a strong brand in Eurosport Asheville. We are excited about the opportunity to meet everyone. The UN is upon us so I hope everyone has a great time! Enjoy the ride!

Archived