IGNORED

Aerostich Roadcrafter vs Leather?

old_farmer

Hi all. I'm considering a Roadcrafter 1 piece. Presently I use a Hein Gericke V-Pilot jacket and pants. Heavy black leather, ventilation is 2 10" long zipper vents front and rear. My main concern is heat. How do you suppose the Roadcrafter compares to what I'm presently wearing for warm weather? I ride a R1100RT.

Thanks

I ride with a 2 piece Roadcrafter in the desert southwest with no problems. There is a 18" vent in the back and two huge zippered vents under each arm. I open up my cuffs, open all vents and unzip the front about 6" down fron the neck and it works fine.

I have a Roadcrafter 1 piece that I've had for a little over 5 years now. Pic of suit is in my avatar, standing in the middle of the Bonneville Salt Flats. :D

Heat isn't a problem for me up to 90-95 degrees.

Last summer on my tour, I was in Phoenix and did about 6 hours in 115+ temps. That was brutal, but doable.

As Johnlt mentioned, there are plenty of vents to open and they do help alot.

Is it OK to ride with any of the non-vent zippers partially open? In particular, it seems to me that the front zip might open too much in the event of a get-off - thus degrading the safety aspect. I do know about hot weather though.

Is it OK to ride with any of the non-vent zippers partially open?...

I can't find it anymore, but there was a guy that was selling a zip-in vent panel. It zipped in to your main jacket zipper. It was basically two zippers that mated to your jacket zip, and a 3" mesh panel in between.... maybe somebody here can find it or, just sew up your own....

I've found that closing up the armpit zippers most of the way is more effective because the air forced up the sleeve will move to the torso better. If I unzip the armpits, I get great cooling on my arms, but very little through the torso. give it a try and see if it works for you.

And for my money, the 2 piece roadcrafter is the better choice for hot climates.

AdventurePoser

I find the comfort levels similar between my leather and my one piece 'Stich. Like 'em both.

All things considered, after many years of wear, I am considering selling my

'Stich and going with a Darien jacket and pants. For my kind of riding a two piece seems more versatile...

Enjoy your new 'Stich! It's a great piece of gear.

Steve

Hi all. I'm considering a Roadcrafter 1 piece. Presently I use a Hein Gericke V-Pilot jacket and pants. Heavy black leather, ventilation is 2 10" long zipper vents front and rear. My main concern is heat. How do you suppose the Roadcrafter compares to what I'm presently wearing for warm weather? I ride a R1100RT.

Thanks

From my past Aerostich experience,I'd go with either the two piece

Roadcrafter or the Darien set.

Like the ability to easily take off the jacket.

JR356

If you plan on crashing, go with the leather. If you want comfort and some protection just in case, the pic your poison based on comfort.

People who ride at the track know they will go down and they almost solely wear leather. Street riders who ride like they are at a track should wear leather, casual careful skilled and controlled riders will likely be fine in a textile suit. Decide who you are a pick what fits your needs.

I hear only good things about aerostitch and they are my short list of my next gear purchase.

Had aerostiches for the last 20 years. My first one lasted 15 years and I only replaced it because the color had faded and the velcro was worn. In super hot weather i wet a towel or my tee shirt and zip up. the arm pits and the back panel let the air in and circulate creating an air conditioned effect. lasts about 30minutes in 100+ degree weather. otherwise very confortable, easy to put on and off. lots of compartment too. I figure for $800 dollars and 15 years used, worth every penny. Also the two piece is the way to go in my opinion. If you need to get to your wallet, ( like at the BMW dealership ) a slight unzip at the waist and reach.

My 2 cents worth

Aerostich one piece summer and winter for me. It's comfortable from about 30 degrees to 90 degrees with some modifications (see previous posts). This will be my 20th year wearing Aerostich and the one I purchased in 1988 is still wearable albeit a bit faded.

I love my 1-piece Stich. As has been repeated before, it's great from about 30 degrees to about 90 degrees. After 6 years a zipper broke and I sent the 'Stich to Duluth for a repair, which I fully expected to pay for -- but they fixed it for free, phoning me to say the zipper should not have broken and they apologized.

The real issue is whether you want to wear overpants (like a 'Stich) or whether you wish to wear leather pants (I have a Motorrad Atlantis 4 that I use when I don't want to wear overpants). Sometimes it's inconvenient to leave an entire suit somewhere after removing it.

Used to ride in leather, now in 2 peice Darien. In leather over 90+ degrees became too hot and I'd shed it, in the Darien I am finding about the same, although also now using a Camelback that helps a lot.

I'd look around for a used 2 piece Roadcrafter or Darien and get the instant rider credibility of a worn in suit. Otherwise you would look like a raw recruit until it breaks in.

They are stiff as a board when new or cold.

Both are very nice garments.

Sometimes it's inconvenient to leave an entire suit somewhere after removing it.
I concur.

I love my one-piece and always feel protected when I'm wearing it. Even in fairly warm weather it's bearable, mostly. As long as I'm moving.

It sure is nice, though, to be able to take off the coat, and throw it over your arm (or leave it with the bike) and go inside.

I've been thinking that maybe a two-piece, armored leather suit might be good, with rain gear for really wet or cold times.

Sometimes it's inconvenient to leave an entire suit somewhere after removing it.

Very true. That's why I have a cable wrapped around the base of the Top box so I can easily secure the helmet and suit to the bike. Mostly when I'm going to be close to the bike. Otherwise I'd take it with me and disrobe blatantly in the restaurant.

Someone recently suggested that putting on a 1 piece 'Stitch would make a good sobriety check!

I have a two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter (10 years), and an Aerostich Transit leather suit. Both are amazingly well made and worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

I use them on different bikes. The RC feels and looks right on my F800; the Transit feels and looks more appropriate on my S1000RR. The RC is better for touring for me because it has an unlimited number of pockets, which the Transit lacks.

I have not crash tested either, but to be honest, I feel a little more comfortable and more protected in the leathers, fwiw. If I had to chose just one, I would keep the Transit, but would miss the RC for sure.

I also bought a Darien a few years back, but ending up using it more for snowboarding than riding.

... Presently I use a Hein Gericke V-Pilot jacket and pants.

Wow... that suit is ancient. I got one... think I bought it in the early 80s. Still in great shape, super soft and supple, but no real armor and the leather sticks to the seat like velcro, making it difficult to move a cheek off.

Anyway, I have 2pc Stich and it is cooler than the V-Pilot in the heat. A 2pc is cooler than than a 1pc since you can unzip around your mid-section better. ie, fly down, waist up, partially waist around too. Choosing lighter colors helps too.

I'm working on a Vansons suit as I do like leather, but a Stich will always be part of my gear going forward.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I'm still not sure what I want to do here, but seeing 8" of new snow as I look out the window I guess I have some time to think about it.

Any more info on the Aerostich Transit suit? I have heard that they are truly waterproof, comfortable, but lack decent venting for hot weather and lack good pockets. How's the armor in the Transit?

I've heard from some Iron Butt'rs of times where they went through the rains, and would rid up to the a pickanic table,

plopp ontop of it and slept cozy.

I have a Stdler leather (Motorradt) greyblue/blue leather tow zips to one suit, I inherited from my late father (100K awarded).

Heavy, bulky but when worn is comfy, cozy and just feels nice.

My sights are on a one piece, yellow Aero. I wear regualr coveralls all the time anyway and like to jump in and out at leisure, plus I'm very absent minded and would prob lose the jacket...LOL

But my fav choice has always been All of the Above. LOL

My Bithday is Nov 17th, and Christmas coming up in case anyone

wants to be a Secret Santa, and they like 5'3", 130lb., Dwarves from Wyoming. Was that a hint? I think so.

I had a blue one piece and hated looking like an astronaut or something. Now have a two-piece RC, top in high viz yellow, bottom in black. Comfortable, quality, protective, hi viz, and pretty normal looking. I like being able to take my jacket off when I go into a restaurant etc...

• 2 weeks later...
I had a blue one piece and hated looking like an astronaut or something. Now have a two-piece RC, top in high viz yellow, bottom in black. Comfortable, quality, protective, hi viz, and pretty normal looking. I like being able to take my jacket off when I go into a restaurant etc...

To each his own. I'm the opposite...I like the astronaut look and enjoy not looking normal.

Slight hijack.....what is better the roadcrafter or the darien (and why)? I don't want a 1 piece and already have some decent lower pants but cannot decide between the two styles of jacket...

TIA

Deadboy, to me the choice is clear: only the Roadcrafter comes in precise sizes. Unless you're a perfect S/M/L/XL, etc., you will not get a tailored fit. The Roadcrafter is allegedly not 100% waterproof, but I've never gotten wet when wearing it.

Interesting, I always figured the Darien was a bit more versatile because of the various liner options (or even wearing it without a liner in hot weather). My wife has one and really likes it...but the fit comment is worth considering also....

I recently sold my one-piece Aerostich, because I found myself wearing my Darien outfit nearly every time I rode.

The one-piece 'stich is outstanding, really great, but there are a couple of compromises inherent in its design. The first--relatively minor in my experience--is that in downpours you will get some seepage around the crotch. Not horrible, but it's a bit of an issue to some. The second issue--and one that led me to wear it less often--relates to heat. If you're moving, you can remain comfortable in a one-piece Aerostich up to about 90 degrees. But, if you're in stop and go traffic at lower temperatures on a fully faired bike, or if you find yourself riding in hot weather (my personal point of misery was about 90 degrees), you will suffer. The biggest issue is everything below the waistline--you just can't get much effective airflow, so you'll heat up fairly quickly.

I found that the Darien works better for me because of this. First, it flows a lot more air than the top of the Aerostich. Secondly, the Darien pants are unlined and, hence, a little more breathable. Also, you have the option to wear other pants with the Darien, like jeans or vented moto-pants. It just works better for me.

Having said all that, I still think that the Aerostich is probably the best engineered and most well made single piece of riding gear that's on the market. Just realize that every riding suit has some point of compromise; with the one-piece 'stich, it's dealing with über-hot weather.

Thanks Mike, sounds like what I had assumed heat wise.....I am sure a one piece had a lot of advantages in certain circumstances but the Darien just seems better suited for my use.

I actually ordered and returned a Klim jacket last week....just didn't like it when I saw it in person (especially the collar), and for the $$ they are asking it needed to be the best thing I had ever tried on, which is simply wasn't.

Will probably order a grey Darien this week....

My wife always says, "if it's a rider with a one piece suit, its a BMW they're riding." So not surprisingly this topic has brought a smile to my face.

Archived