IGNORED

One Part Number? This is rediculous!

OlGeezer

I was changing out my high beam bulb (which is a PITA for this ham fisted wannabe wrench) only to discover there is some melted plastic around the male connector. I called the BMW dealer (closest one to me that was open is 45 miles). I ask if they had a high beam socket. She put me on hold for a couple of minutes, returned and said "sure, it's forty doLlars and change". I said "Great! I'll be right there". When I got there, she had an electrical connector (multiple pin...). I showed her the part I had asked for. She goes in the back for a few minutes (maybe 5 or a little more) and returns to tell me that part is part of the headlight assembly! She looked at her computer screen and, without a change in expression, she said "the headlight assembly is six hundred and ninety nine dollars"!!!! I went home, and put the old one back in.

Sheesh!

Does anyone offhand know of an alternate part number, maybe automotive?

Thank you.

Are you by any chance running non OEM higher W bulbs that get hotter or draw more?

Can't help w/the headlight assembly, sorry.

Are you by any chance running non OEM higher W bulbs that get hotter or draw more?

Can't help w/the headlight assembly, sorry.

I'm running non-OEM, but they are 55w. I'm using PIAAs.

This data is a little old so the prices are probably way out. That said, the R1150RT shares a bulb holder with the K1200LT.

63122305859--Lamp Socket--$9.95

63122305854--Plastic Lamp Holder--$8.75 Researched by Greg at Mairn BMW, found on the K bike fiche.

211.png

Hope this helps,

Andy

CoarsegoldKid

No! This would never happen to a BMW. The three times I asked about a weirdness about my BMW- Like the outside temp gauge was incorrect- the service manager would say I've never heard of anything like that. Or when the plastic connector to the headlamp bulb was so brittle it fell apart in my hands- he said he never heard about that before, or the reason for changing the headlamp bulb- the thing eats lamps- he never heard of that before either. Sorry I should have been clearer. I still like the bike.

DallasR1100RT

or like when my R1100RT main wiring harness caught fire for no apparent reason and the 3 BMW shops I called said they had never heard of that happening....

NO!!!

No!? No What? No this site is not great, or no dont ude that part?

Probably: "No! I paid $699!"

OUCH...sorry to hear that if it wasnt neccesary...somebody buy ELK a beer..

Archived