IGNORED

rt vs police rt

mwood7800

On the positive side, the police version has two batteries and a oil cooler fan. On the negative side, it lacks cruise control. There may be a few other differences like slightly lower gearing but I'm not positive.

mwood:

I have a 2007 rt-p that I am learning about by slowly fixing the little quirks that arise.

E-mail me at bobmorris@spro.net and we can discuss the differences.

Bob

Do a search, I know I've posted about this before.

Here's some stuff off the top of my head.

RT-P:

Weighs about 100 pounds more (I've weighed both of mine)

Has higher gear ratio in the rear end. The added torque when at slow speeds is not obvious because the bike weighs so much more, but at freeway speeds causes noticeably higher RPMs.

Saddle bags bolt on & are not interchangeable with normal RT bags.

Cruise control not an option.

Bike computer not an option.

My 2008 has TPMS, not sure if they all do.

Much lower top speed than RT due to final drive ratio as well as engine programming ... though I don't see this as a problem for most buyers heh heh.

The radio box makes an ok backrest and like the saddle bags is keyed to the ignition key.

Will accept aftermarket seats (I have used a Sargent seat on mine).

Has a very soft front shock, especially considering the extra 100 pounds.

CoarsegoldKid

Has higher gear ratio in the rear end. The added torque when at slow speeds is not obvious because the bike weighs so much more, but at freeway speeds causes noticeably higher RPMs.

Wouldn't that be a lower gear ratio, higher numerically?

I've heard it uses the GSA FD and tranny. Is that true?

Yeah.

I've heard that too about the FD, never heard that about the tranny.

Does anybody know if the wiring for the fan is present on the regular RTs?

I did some a connector behind the oil cooler.

If so is the thermostat and relay also in place on the non RT-

P?

TIA

I've got a 2008 RT-P with only 5000 miles on it of which I've put on about 3K. Still on warranty, but the Ft. Worth BMW dealer is less than enthused about service. I've heard that only first gear ratio was changed from the stock RT. It's a dream to ride compared to my 2002 1150RT. You can reduce the weight by taking out the code 3 box and assorted cop stuff like the siren etc. The keyed radio box lends itself to nice additional storage bin and the city cases while small and non detachable work great with pull out storage bags. Vinyl graphic kits are available for de-policing the looks. The front battery under the glove compt is only for powering police stuff and I've been told that the -P has a heavy duty electrical system vs the stock. It powers all my Gerbings plus heated grips and seat while my riding buddies on the stock 1200RT's have to pick and choose electrical loads or the computer will drop something. Overall it's a very sweet machine but alas due to health, I must thin the herd.

Still on warranty, but the Ft. Worth BMW dealer is less than enthused about service.

They don't want to do warranty work on it? How do they expect to get around this?

Yeah.

I've heard that too about the FD, never heard that about the tranny.

I had heard the same thing about my R1100RT-P, but when I rebuilt the tranny, every part was RT stock, so I'd say negatory on that rumor.

Archived