IGNORED

Your thoughts on this 2004 R1150RT with 92K miles for $5K

FordBoy33

So, I've got a Honda Shadow now, and have been looking at used ST1300s and FJR1300s primarily as an entry into the sport touring space. Just happened to see this BMW...the looks and price caught my attention, but 92,000 miles?!? No used bike that I've ever seriously considered has had anywhere near 92K miles...more like 6-25K miles.

Assuming all scheduled service has been done (as the ad implies), what kinda things would the next owner of this bike be facing in the way of near-term major service/maintanence?

There are pros and cons to everything. A bike that is 6 years old with 92k mean it has been ridden regularly and as it says serviced there regularly. An older bike like what I got with low miles means it has sat alot which is hard on bikes as much as riding them can be.

If it has good service records and it looks clean, 5k is pretty cheap for an 04 IMHO...but it is a lot of miles, everything has a life expectancy, BMW have a long life expentancy but it is not infinite.

Again assuming service has been properly done, there is not much to really worry about. Top of the list would probably be the clutch and spline lube. Or not at all, if it wasn't abused.

right now on IBMWR there are these deals:

'96 1100RT, 24810 miles for $4000

'98 1100RT, 64748 miles for $4000

'00 1100RT, unknown miles for $5800

'96 1100RT, 27000 miles for $5000

'04 1150RT, 55000 miles for $7700

'03 1150RT, 22000 miles for $6500

that I would heavily consider to be as good a deal because of the lower mileage. That said, an '04 for $5K is a pretty darned good deal even with 92K on the odo. Personally, I prefer the 1100 over the 1150 because of its simplicity to work on and I like the appearance of the front end better. On the down side of the 1100 though is slightly less power. For me that is not a big deal because I do not consider myself to be a great racer who practices my skills on the public roadways. I personally just purchased a '00 with 12K on the odo for just slightly more than book and am very happy with the deal. I'm sure it will serve me well for at least another 150K or more.

Search for "motivated/private party seller", with lower mileage. Personally, picked up the R with 31,000 for 3500 w/ new skins & oil/filter installed. Yup, pretty much stole the machine, yet these types of transactions are very rare, yet out there.

Although the price is pretty good, I'd definitely go with a lower mileage bike. It's a buyer's market for used bikes. You should be able to haggle a similar price for much lower mileage.

92K is lot of miles on any bike.

It is a decent deal with slightly more downside than upside. BMW's are 250k bikes but require maintenance! I'm with others....there are lower mileage bikes around that are not THAT much more expensive than this particular bike.

There is no mention in the ad of any major expenditures such as brakes (pads, discs etc) or clutch. You really need to get hold of the maintenance records.

At 92k, a new clutch (if not already fitted) could well be an issue and thusly, will be a nice four figure "investment" in the near future.

Don't know where in the country you are, but BMWMCGrand Rapids Mi, has a 99 1100RT w/32xxx miles priced at $5965 on a consignment sale. The color is Boston Green (dark green metallic). I'm fairly certain you could get it for $5K. I haven't heard it run, but it's in very good condition. A year ago March I bought a 99 RT w/27xxxmiles for $5600. The only things I've "had" to do to it is replace the FD pivot bearing with a Rubber Chicken Racing bushing and adjust valves, sync TBs. I have over 7K miles on it this year- no buyers remorse at all.

http://www.bmwmcgr.com/?page=bikes&type=used

I'm just as leery of older bikes as I am of high mileage bikes: both could have major expenses around the corner. I'm in Houston, and that bike's at a local dealership, so it would be fairly easy to check the records.

Mainly the whole BMW idea is new, and I'm not sure what to make of it, mainly in terms of availability and cost of parts and service. Here's one of the competition, for example:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2078404028.html

Thanks!

Personally, I prefer the 1100 over the 1150 because of its simplicity to work on and I like the appearance of the front end better. On the down side of the 1100 though is slightly less power.

It is so funny how people see things so different. I LOVE the look of the 1150 headlight over my 1100. I hear that while the brakes are more expensive to servive and work on they stop much better than my 1100. And more power is always a good thing to me.

I too love myh 1100rt but kinda wish i would have held out and gotten an 1150Rt....

I'm just as leery of older bikes as I am of high mileage bikes: both could have major expenses around the corner. I'm in Houston, and that bike's at a local dealership, so it would be fairly easy to check the records.

Mainly the whole BMW idea is new, and I'm not sure what to make of it, mainly in terms of availability and cost of parts and service. Here's one of the competition, for example:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2078404028.html

Thanks!

Love, love, love my 04 1150RT, but that FJR looks like a pretty tasty deal...

Your budget is???

IMO your budget should determine what you look for not whether or not it is a "deal".

If you want an RT, the '04 is the best 1150 but '03's are out there too.

At some point, $1000-$2000 dollars spent up front for lower mileage may be a better deal than having to repair/replace items

from a high mileage bike.

Patience should provide some other options.

. . . Patience should provide some other options.

BINGO!! While it was tough, I waited a year to replace the '98 that I started parting out last fall. It was worth the wait too. I got the 2000 with 12K on the ODO and about as near to show-room condition as a used bike can get. It runs flawlessly, is the color I wanted, etc. I sat here and watched deal after deal slide by until this one just jumped out at me at a time when the finaces were right with the sale of my Catalina 22 to my bro-in-law. The timing couldn't have been better.

Ford Boy...I am in Houston and am going to the m/c show at Gulf Coast tomorrow. I own a 2005 R1150RT and am pretty familiar with the maintenance that is required. If you want me to glance at it with you or check the records let me know. I have a book that shows the required maintenance for every 6k miles.

Evening FB33

How many miles are too many you ask? One more than the warranty covers IF you have problems or you aren’t fluent in doing your own repairs.

On the 1150 BMW boxer engine bikes the engines are their strong suit with the trans, final drive, and ABS brake controller being their weaker areas.

You could luck out and ride that bike another 50,000 miles trouble free but if I were a betting man I would definitely bet you couldn’t.

I have owned some high miler BMW motorcycles and for the most part the higher mileage isn’t an issue but I do ALL my own major and minor repairs so long term ownership is only costly on the parts side not the labor side. I also have multiple bikes so have something to ride if one is down for repair.

If you don’t do your own repairs then buying a BMW bike in that mileage range can be quite costly IF you have issues. BMW parts are very expensive and a lot of major type repairs are expensive labor wise. One major dealer done repair could easily push the ownership price to well over what a much lower mileage comparable bike would cost you. Not that a lower mileage BMW can’t have similar failures but the chances are much less.

There is just no way to tell what you have in store if you buy that bike. The fact that it is being sold by a dealer puts up a red flag for me as most dealers just want the bike sold so don’t always tell the buyer the entire truth. You also lose the ability to look the seller in the eye to gauge his/her honesty. Not to mention you lose a major buying assessment aid and that is seeing the sellers other vehicles, seeing their home, and how they care for their property.

You go to look at a used motorcycle and see a shinny motorcycle sitting there but the sellers house is in shambles, his other vehicles are beat to death, and his property is covered with rusty old motorcycles. What are the chances that shinny motorcycle is the only thing nice he owns or took care of?

You could luck out and ride that bike another 50,000 miles trouble free but if I were a betting man I would definitely bet you couldn’t.

I was hoping to ride my R1150RS at least another 50 k mi, but then this happened unexpectedly (to me): link to thread. Just another data point. Good luck!

---John.

FB...I looked at the ad closer. Looks like it is at WW Honda BMW. The ad says all service done here!. Go talk to the service manager and ask them to show you what has been done over it's life.

Yes, I will probably just go to Wild West and talk to them about it, maybe ride it, etc. However, I'm probably going to pass on this bike though, simply due to the high mileage and high parts cost for the BMWs. The post from blackyam was helpful, and just what I'm afraid of, honestly.

I've seen some nice deals like the 2005 FJR with 9K miles for $6K and another 2004 FJR with 18K miles for $4500, so I'll keep looking...patiently as was suggested. ;-) But now I'll at least include these RTs in my search.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I will probably just go to Wild West and talk to them about it, maybe ride it, etc. However, I'm probably going to pass on this bike though, simply due to the high mileage and high parts cost for the BMWs. The post from blackyam was helpful, and just what I'm afraid of, honestly.

I've seen some nice deals like the 2005 FJR with 9K miles for $6K and another 2004 FJR with 18K miles for $4500, so I'll keep looking...patiently as was suggested. ;-) But now I'll at least include these RTs in my search.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you go with an FJR, I would highly recomend a 2006+ from the changes they made. Although the price will be a bit more than 6k most likely.

I would only buy a BMW when I bought my 2000RT. It had 101,000 miles on it last year I paid 5K for it. It now has 123,000 miles on it. No major problems. I am a mechanic so I went over the bike pretty well.

Its all in what you want. Nothing but happy with mine. I bought the bike from the original owner and saw the records. Tires, brakes, tires..... Head gasket at 40K and HES at 70K. That is all. Looks wise it was in as near new as it could be.

David

Wow, that blue 2005 is SHARP, but way outta the price range.

Amazing range of prices on these RTs. Years don't seem to affect price as much as they do on other lines of bikes.

Years don't seem to affect price as much as they do on other lines of bikes.

Just one of the things you'll learn with the BMW experience, Grasshopper.

Wasn't the R1200RT intro'd as a 2005 model? Was there a 2005 R1150RT? (Also, the advert lists the engine size as 1150 cc, but my R1150RS was 1130 cc.) Please correct me. Thanks.

---John.

Yes there was a 2005 R1150RT and I own one. So far it has been a great bike, but smelling that new 1600GT Yes that was the intro year of the 1200, and yes they are 1130..but what is 20cc's among marketing...

I just bought my 04 R1150RT, 14k miles, about 2k dollars in upgrades/accesories, 6 months left to a extended warranty for $7500. I dont really find that to be an outstanding deal but compared to 5k for what appears to be a stock RT with 94k miles for 5k, it seems like it.

$5K is too much unless all other variables are positve. Specifically, is the plastic in excellent condition? Has service has been done as appropriate including documentation? Do the tires have miles left? Has the service consistent with this mileage level been addressed? Buying used makes lots of sense but some issues that may not be apparent initially and eventually could lead to significant investment. 92K isn't a lot of miles if it's your scooter and you have taken great care of it. Personnally, unless all the stars are aligned I'd walk.

Archived