IGNORED

How long does it take for parts to come from Germany, anyway?

Robus

I bought a new RT from Chicago BMW in July. The gasket on the brake fluid reservoir failed, which caused the enamel paint on the reservoir cap to begin to erode. I was concerned that brake fluid would leak onto the paint of the gas tank. I spoke to the service manager when I did my 6000 mile service on October 21. He promised to order a new gasket and cap from Germany. I spoke to him again a couple of weeks later. He assured me that the parts would arrive soon. No word since.

How long does it take for parts to come from Germany, anyway? I'm second-guessing my decision to buy a BMW. I don't mind having to ride 70 miles round trip for service. But for it to take weeks or months to get basic parts?

What are your experiences? Does your local BMW dealer get you back on the road quickly, or does your $20,000 motorcycle have to sit for weeks in the garage awaiting parts?

If I remember right , my dealer has had parts from Germany in a week. My guess is that they forgot to order them, or they waited to combine orders to save on shipping.

Francois_Dumas

Don't know about dealers, but I have shipped parts to BMWST members a few times now and it took 4-7 days in all cases.

With dealers mostly on a weekly order cycle it would be max. 8 days. If the part has to come from Germany, it is treated there as a emergency order and shipped right away direct to the dealer. Should not be more than 10 days. I'm afraid something fell in a crack between "promise to order" and "order". Shipping is not a cost to the dealer - it is included in the cost of the part. IMHO if BMW does one thing right, it is parts availability and service.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Tough situation. While it is true you get more with sugar than with salt it is also true that the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I'd escalate.

My experience with Chicago BMW is a weekly ordering cycle, parts arriving there in ~7 days. I've never waited more than 2 weeks for parts from Chicago.

i give any retail business, my original purchase, and 2 trys to fix problems like warranty issues that i treat them very politely. But 3 strikes and they are out. If i have to go back or call or email after 2 civil attempts to handle a problem....Then the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I raise my voice, make trouble, get bosses involved...and it has never failed to get the problem fixed for me.

Please realize that i give them a few trys to correct. but i have a specified line in the sand.

It's a longer distance from Germany to Oz. Our dealer here says two weeks but it never takes that long. No matter what I've ordered, it's 9-10 days to my door.

I would agree with those that vouch for BMW corporate doing a good job sending parts that have actually been ordered.......My experience is that problems with warranty service are either BMW does not acknowledge that a problem exists, or dealers are not prompt in addressing the problem or ordering the parts. Notice I stated dealers.....I have had this experience with more than one.

Archived