IGNORED

Final drive report

outpost22

Since many here post about final drive "issues", I thought I would add that the pivot bearings in my 1100's final drive were displaying a slight amount of play. My dealer's mechanic confirmed this. I had my dealer replace them along with a slightly leaking pinion seal, shaft seal and seal ring. The bike has 59,700 miles on it. The other rear drive bearings all passed the "tests".

All in all, I'll take almost 60,000 miles of rear end use (and a lot 2-up) with an under $300 repair bill. I know my old chain and sprocket bikes wouldn't come close to that mileage or $ spent at 60K miles.

nice, thanks for the encouragement since i just started riding BMWs...96 with 14.5k on it i hope it will make 60k with no FD issues. I know i will be needing a clutch tho. It was out of adjustment when i got it and even tho i adjusted it, i think the guy trashed the clutch by riding it with it adjusted too tight.

When I had my 1150GS, the pivot bearings had a fair amount of play in them. After doing some research I went with the Rubber Chicken Racing bushing upgrade. It was amazing at how much better the bike handled after that. The bearings came out in pieces and were thrashed, but that was at 14k miles. I did the job myself and wasnt too difficult. You just need to make a special tool.

All in all, I'll take almost 60,000 miles of rear end use (and a lot 2-up) with an under $300 repair bill. I know my old chain and sprocket bikes wouldn't come close to that mileage or $ spent at 60K miles.

Hi Outpost. I see where you are coming from, and for many of us -we wouldn't even bother with the leaking pinion seal as that is a common re-occuring weep, I also put the pivot bearing in the same category as a swing arm pivot - they wear quicker than I would like to see, but not too bad.

However, when an FD does genuinly fail, or wear out, you may have a different viewpoint to your comparison with chains and sprockets, becuase then we start to see big £'s spent.

Keep well.

Andy

Archived