IGNORED

Judgement getting the better of me

aterry1067

I had full intentions of taking my first road trip on my new-to-me R1100RT over the Thanksgiving holiday, from southern MD where I reside, to see family in east TN. It's not too far, approx 600 miles each direction. After some thought, I've decided to take the truck. The reasons for my change in decision are: 1. I've owned the bike around 3 months, and have accumulated a little over 2000 miles. I feel comfortable and confident on the bike, but statistically, I am still in that "6 month/new rider" window. 2. While weather.com says it will be mostly clear, I ask myself how many times the meteorologists have been off the mark. Two active weather cells moving between two different fronts have the possibility of making this trip a miserable one. 3. I know the bike needs a valve adjustment and throttle body synch, that I don't have time to do before I leave. 4. If I do have problems, not many bike shops are going to be open over the holiday weekend. 5. Traffic expected to be horrible, and I'm sure many of those driver's will have much more on their mind than watching out for a motorcycle. Such as this famous conversation "Yes dear, I can't wait to see all my in-laws.....again."

I will be taking road trips in the future, but I think I will pass on this one. I just don't think this holiday weekend would be the best time to take my first one.

Good judgement? Or am I just being a pansy and making excuses?

Thanks for reading.

russell_bynum

LOL.

Don't get on the bike unless you're really looking forward to it. If there's any doubt or negative feelings about it, don't do it.

Motorcycling is far too dangerous, uncomfortable, impractical, and expensive to do because you feel obligated. Do it because you want to.

Thanks. I REALLY want to, and can't wait to get the chance to do some traveling on it. I love every minute and mile I spend on the bike. Nothing would please me more than to take the bike home to TN. There are some amazing roads where I grew up. But, when weighing the Yays and Nays, the yays are coming up short for this trip. Really looking forward to the next opportunity though. :-) If anyone is ever in east TN, Hwy 52 from Jamestown to Livingston is a road I have dreamed about since I got the bike. Certainly looking forward to that trip. Next time though.

LOL.

Don't get on the bike unless you're really looking forward to it. If there's any doubt or negative feelings about it, don't do it.

Motorcycling is far too dangerous, uncomfortable, impractical, and expensive to do because you feel obligated. Do it because you want to.

+1

Words to live by!

I have ridden my RT hundreds (Perhaps more than 1000) of miles in falling snow........Never intentionally. I would do it again, because I know that I can......but I would go out of my way to avoid it. Just sayin'.

This is the worst extended weekend of the year on which to travel by road, so even if you enjoy the feeling of being out there on two wheels, as all of us do, you would most likely get very frustrated with the imposition caused by all those extra travellers.

You made the right call, and have a good holiday.

#3 is the only valid reasom, IMO.

Too often people put off maintenance and head oout thinking all will go well.

Sometimes it does.

:/

Again, just my .02 but the bike needs to be ready for the trip first and foremost.

The rest you can take care of with the right gear and right attitude.

As a rule of thumb, if you have to ask yourself, you already know.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just go. You can spend too much time equivocating and miss an ooportunity.

Sometimes doing what you have chosen to do is better.

Next time, have the bike ready to go and you will be too.

Happy

Thnaksgiving.

Survived-til-now

To be honest - it does kinda come across as a list of excuses :)

If I were facing a holiday weekend journey travelling on my own on congested roads - I'd chose the bike, knowing that I could get through most if not all of the traffic jams - and a valve adjustment & sync wouldn't put me off. That's what bikes are for :grin:

As for weather, rain has never put me off but the prospect of snow/ice is a different issue entirely.

Having said all that - the biggest reason not to get on the bike was that you had doubts - and that is why you were right to opt for the truck. Doing a little risk assessment before each ride and having the sense to listen to that voice in your head can save your skin

My take on this is ATERRY listen to that voice in his head.

His emotions said “yes I can do this” but the little voice said

“you shouldn’t be doing this.” Most of the time my voice is

right. I hate that voice because it goes against what I really

want to do most of the time.

Happy Thanksgiving all !!!!

You'll never know for certain - I personally think it takes some maturity to listen to the little voice. You made your decision, no use in looking back now.

Riding a motorcycle is an optional activity. If it isn't fun, you don't have to do it.

On the other hand, stretching your limits makes it an adventure and adversity makes for great stories after it's all over.

-----

Your judgement is fine, and you'll have plenty of opportunities down the proverbial road to take road trips when you are more comfortable with the prospect.

I'll definitely have to check out that Hwy 52 in east TN.

Jay

I remember a winter storm that essentially drove everyone off the road back in the late 70's in that area. The weather report was wrong. Valves off for 2,000 miles TB too don't do it.

Thanks all. The weather turned out to be great, although a bit chilly. In the end, I'm glad I drove the truck. Brought home a little extra luggage that would have been difficult at best on the bike. The traffic going was minimal, but coming home was horrendous. I did manage to find a few back roads though, that will be great riding in the spring. While the turkey and fixins' were great, the best had to be moms bbq ribs and bourbon pecan pie. God I love being a southern hillbilly. :clap:

I sure hope everyone here had a great holiday weekend.

Jim, lol, no I'm not a pilot. I work on the program, but keep my feet on the ground.

Thanks again all. I appreciate the comments.

Russell,

Not the first time you have said exactly what I'm thinking...That's what's got me considering selling my bike...

Survived-til-now

Russell,

Not the first time you have said exactly what I'm thinking...That's what's got me considering selling my bike...

You could put a sign up in your garage:

"I am definitely giving up after the NEXT ride"

Russell,

You could put a sign up in your garage:

"I am definitely giving up after the NEXT ride"

LOL..I like it...I'll put that sign up right beside the one that says."I don't want to own all the land. I just want to own the land that adjoins mine."

:)

To be honest - it does kinda come across as a list of excuses :)

If I were facing a holiday weekend journey travelling on my own on congested roads - I'd chose the bike, knowing that I could get through most if not all of the traffic jams

You can filter, the OP can't.

The fact that you've compiled five reasons is enough not to do it. Good call taking the truck.

Be comfortable.

There have been many days where I have gone home from work for lunch with the thought of leaving the car and taking a bike back and riding after work. Then something along the way says not today. I usually listen.

A lot of wisdom in this thread. Some contradictory to some others.

The first issue is dealing with the ride as a decision problem. Have you assembled the facts? My key information is the NOA and Canadian weather radar. Next might be line-ups at border crossings or bridges. And so on.

Less susceptible to rational treatment are the attitude issues. For me, biking is still the "yin" to my eastern intellectual* "yang" - yes, still my polarity after 50 years biking and hanging out with bikers. So for me, I say to myself "Go!" unless it is raining, snowing, or well-below freezing when I am ready to start.

Where is taking a bike scoot in your mental world? What does it represent in terms of your personal development, self-image, sense of mastery, or does it just make you feel more pig-headed than your normal burden of bad choices?

Like with a lot of things, I have more regret for the things I didn't do than things I did dumb.

Ben

cold and wet in Toronto, home of the 10 foot wet leaf pile in the middle of the lane.

*I used to add "effete" as part of that cliche image. But my wife is sure it would be misunderstood by people who don't have access to a dictionary.

One of the best tips I ever learned, and I pass it on to every MSF class I teach, is from my ocean Kayaking.

"One of the most important decisions you will ever make regarding safety is knowing when to stay on the beach."

Well done

Trust your gut

Archived