IGNORED

Garmin 665 reviews.

randy

I am looking for an upgrade to my 2730. I want XM radio, GPS, mps3 and audio books. I like all those features on the 2730. I was wondering if there are any long term 665 users who can give me an update on using the 665 on the bike and in the car. I commute almost everyday on the bike, so I would use it then, and usually once a month I try to take a bike trip somewhere in which I tow the bike then ride for a few days and then tow home. So would like to have the 665 in the truck during tow time. But basically 80% commute use, 10% weekend ride use, and 10% car use.

Can’t speak to the 665, but the similar 660, ours has been pretty good and I move it back and forth between vehicles all the time. (Have a separate cradle for each.) GARMIN has slowly done software updates to get most of the bugs and user complaints out.

OTOH it’s awfully expensive for what it is and if I had to do it over again I think I’d consider one of the Nuvis instead. I find most of the motorcycle specific features of the 660/665 pretty much cosmetic silliness.

Steve Kolenda

Randy,

I had a Garmin 276C which had an incredibly brilliant display that could be seen under all conditions. I purchased a 665 which has a display that is hard to see under many conditions. Some will tell you that you can put a shade over the unit but I have tried those and find the display at times to be unreadable. The 665 has lot of neat features but the display visibility issue makes it a loser for me. Having said that, I don't know what is available that has the features of the 665 without the display issue.

ken do any of the nuvi units have XM ? do any of the nuvi unites have uploade from PC capability. I forgot to mention I use that a lot.

I do route planning on my computer then load to the GPS. currently I have maybe 5 dozen routes on my computer. As I take trips I can load the various roads/routes for that event, then clear them until the next ride.

I am also interested in the 665 reviews, I will check consumer reports, sometimes they have helpful info. That would be an issue if the screen visibility is poor, I can't see spending that kind of money and have that issue. I am sure you have looked at it but is there an adjustment to brighten?I have a friend with the nuvi and loves it. He keeps multiple cradles and switches back and forth.

thanks for the compliment, but to be honest, really only with the street pilot series. I never got into the nuvi or the zummo models. Now our local garmin guru Ken I has I think done all three lines of garmin units.

actually I knew about that forum, and forgot about it. however only members can seem to read. unless you become a member, (at least I cannot figure it out) you cannot just simply read the post's (i.e. similar to how the BMWST site works)

Archived