IGNORED

Back in the BMW family........picked up my RT!

cali_beemer

Well after taking a break form BMW and giving a Vstrom a try, I am officially back on a BMW. I picked up my new to me 2004 R1150RT in titan silver. Ironically, I bought it form the guy that bought the Vstrom from me. I left the BMW originally after some unpleasant experiences, but I suppose I will just have to live with it if this breaks. I have grown to love the BMW suspension and I feel spoiled by the BMW when riding a japanese bike. I test rode the RT tonight to seal the deal and after the Vstrom, its like a dream. Smoother, more power, and the brakes.......ohhhh, its so nice to be back on a bike with some serious brakes. One of these days I would love another Vstrom as its an excellent bike but it would need to be a second bike next to the RT. My new bike has a hair over 14k miles and came with the maintenance receipes for the 12k mile service and brake flush. It also still has some extended warranty left until April so I felt comfortable buying it. Its pretty well farkled. A list of the things it came with:

Cee bailey design 2 windshield, lightly tinted (original included)

Aeroflow headlight protector

Saergent seat with matching backrest pad in the topcase (stock included)

BMW topcase

Kaoko throttle lock

BMW co-piliot shelf (not installed)

engine guards

Kisan trailblazer brakelight modulator

Kisan headlight modulator (not installed)

BMW cover

Kathys bags for the side cases

Beemerbags top case liner

Mirror leashes installed

centech AP-i fuseblock (not installed)

PIAA 1100XX lights and bracket kit (new, not installed)

Saergent tank mounting system but no tank bag included

new BMW gel battery just installed 2 months ago

I just got back form trailering it home. A few pics of my new baby. I hope she treats me well.

rt.jpg

rt2.jpg

Survived-til-now

I know I deserted my R1150Rt for the upgraded, flashy etc R1200RT but looking at your photos reminds me what a great bike I parted company from......

I still think it beats the 1200 on looks :cry:

I know I deserted my R1150Rt for the upgraded, flashy etc R1200RT but looking at your photos reminds me what a great bike I parted company from......

I still think it beats the 1200 on looks :cry:

I agree, the R1150RT is hard to beat for looks, but after having a 1200RT, the 1200 is the better bike. I test rode the bike last night and I was amazed at how smooth it is for an 1150. I dont remember my 04 1150GS being as smooth.

Good looking bike! :thumbsup: Had a Sargent seat on my 03, thought it was great.

Pat

Eventually it will come off for a Russel Day Long. I plan to use the stock seat to get the Russell made and then I will sell off the Saergent most likely.

congrats cali....i think the 1150rt is one of the best looking bmws ever made. just sleek and smooth, yet sexy lines to it.

i like the brakes better than the 1100rt and the headlight is way better looking and working than my 1100rt.

nice ride...northern or southern cali? riverside cali here

congrats cali....i think the 1150rt is one of the best looking bmws ever made. just sleek and smooth, yet sexy lines to it.

i like the brakes better than the 1100rt and the headlight is way better looking and working than my 1100rt.

nice ride...northern or southern cali? riverside cali here

Folsom in Northern Cal, near Sacramento

I'm assuming you both (the new owner of the VStrom and you) are in California, where we have to pay sales tax (or use tax or what ever the DMV calls it) also when buying a vehicle from a private party.

Sice you two essentially switched bikes, did you check would it have been possible to avoid paying the sales tax buy making it a direct trade?

--

Mikko

I'm assuming you both (the new owner of the VStrom and you) are in California, where we have to pay sales tax (or use tax or what ever the DMV calls it) also when buying a vehicle from a private party.

Sice you two essentially switched bikes, did you check would it have been possible to avoid paying the sales tax buy making it a direct trade?

--

Mikko

Technically we didnt trade. I sold the Vstrom almost a month ago. He was considering a trade but decided the keep the RT until deciding if he liked the Vstrom. I then had planned on buying a FJR, and waited a couple of weeks to get it. That bike didnt work out, so I called the guy that bought the Vstrom to see if he decided he wanted to sell the RT. He said he was going to sell the RT and emailed me the specs and we discussed it over the phone. I ended up getting the RT for $7500 which was a fair deal IMO, given the extended warranty, low mileage and farkles.

Congrats Ryan! I was confused when I saw this as I knew you were planning on an FJR. The RT certainly won't have the power of the FJR but it sure is a fun ride! Let's go around the lakes again!

Russ

Congrats Ryan! I was confused when I saw this as I knew you were planning on an FJR. The RT certainly won't have the power of the FJR but it sure is a fun ride! Let's go around the lakes again!

Russ

Yep, another day ride around Berryessa would be great. The RT should be a better weapon of choice than the RS for that ride. Ohhhh....and I have a GPS now.... :grin: I will be putting the BMR shelf on the bike this weekend and mounting my Garmin 2730 with the GXM-30.

I have to join the others to congratulate you on the bike. 2004 1150RT is almost becoming bit of a collectible, the 1150 body styling is gorgeous and that twin-spark motor was the pinnacle of the oilheads.

But for future reference, (since you seem to have a trailer and will likely use it again sometime in the future) that was a bad way to strap down the RT. You should feel lucky for getting away with it w/o causing damage to the bike.

In the front you should loop the straps over and around the top of lower fork tubes and in the back pop off those black side covers and attach the straps to the rear sub-frame.

--

Mikko

I have to join the others to congratulate you on the bike. 2004 1150RT is almost becoming bit of a collectible, the 1150 body styling is gorgeous and that twin-spark motor was the pinnacle of the oilheads.

But for future reference, (since you seem to have a trailer and will likely use it again sometime in the future) that was a bad way to strap down the RT. You should feel lucky for getting away with it w/o causing damage to the bike.

In the front you should loop the straps over and around the top of lower fork tubes and in the back pop off those black side covers and attach the straps to the rear sub-frame.

--

Mikko

It wasnt my trailer. However, up front I was using this product which works great:

http://canyondancer.com/

As for the rear, the rack mount is pretty rigid. It did fine being towed 100 miles last night. The bike never moved.

Francois_Dumas

Yes, but it can still damage your (heated!) grips ! Happened to mine the first time I did that..... have learned the better way since ;-)

Yep, another day ride around Berryessa would be great.

Congratulations! I ride up there too. I have a '04 RT in Biarritz Blue. The photo below was taken on the Berryessa/Knoxville Road and the birds being flipped were a joke. :D

IMG_1443.jpg

Congratulations! I bought my RT the day before Thanksgiving 2 years ago and have always taken a ride on Turkey Day. Bike looks great and you gotta love the 1150 styling.

Welcome back to the BMW fold. I did much like you; after a couple problem BMW's I went back to Honda for 5 years. I came back to BMW with a different perspective and an 03' RT.

Hmm, a 2004 1150RT or a V-Strom? Tough choice, I think. :) (see sig)

Yeah, that is a tough choice. I would have loved to keep the Vstrom, it was a fun bike for in town stuff and in some twisties. One of these days I would like to look for a fixer upper Vstrom project bike.

Congrats on the new to you ride.

I think of all the bikes BMW has produced over the past 15 years that Titan Silver R1150RT was the best looking. Here's hoping she treats you well.

Look forward to another jaunt around the lake for BBQ and curves.

Yeah Gary, another ride around the lake is overdue. The bike is up on the lift right now getting some new tires and some maintenace owrk as well as PIAA lights and a GPS. The original pictures were pretty bad, hers are some better pictures.

photobucket1.jpg

photobucket2.jpg

Great looking bike. Excellent color choice.

I like the design of the 1100's and 1150's so much better than the 1200's. I love my new R12RT but wish it had the eye appeal of the 1100 and 1150's.

Great looking bike. Excellent color choice.

I like the design of the 1100's and 1150's so much better than the 1200's. I love my new R12RT but wish it had the eye appeal of the 1100 and 1150's.

+1; The older RT's look Much Better! My ideal RT would look like the 1150RT and have the power/weight savings of the 2010RT.

08RT Silver

Archived