IGNORED

TourMaster Zipper longevity

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Anyone else having problems with their Tourmaster zipper 'pull tabs' breaking off? What did you do to fix it?

My tourmaster 'transition 2' jacket, 'Solution' boots, and 'Venture air' pants were bought in August 2008 - so clearly no longer under warranty (their web site says 1 year) - so sending them back for repair is not an option.

i like the gear but today the zipper pull broke on one of the boots (nice ride btw. & mine was the only bike i saw in 250 km...) . The zipper pull on the jacket broke about a month ago.

i am not particularly rough on my stuff i have lots of jackets which are several decades old with no zipper problems - so this short lifespan is not impressive to say the least. thank goodness the zippers still work (the zipper slides are still in place) but not very well as very hard to get a grip on the slider. the boot zipper is particularly annoying to get to move. :mad:

i was thinking a small tie wrap threw the hole in the slide but maybe someone has a better idea?

thanks.

Did the entire metal piece of the tab break off or just the plastic/fabric extender?

If it is just the extender then redbricks link will work but if it is the metal piece that hooks to the zipper base mechanism, the you could use a small piece of wire to make a loop, and then add the tabs in redbricks link.

You might try using a small round ring from a bracelet, not gold or silver since they are soft, but maybe surgical stainless steel. Like you might find at a kiosk in a mall or in the costume jewelery area in the womens dept.

The zipper pull tab on my Tourmaster jacket snapped off right where the plastic meets the metal about 2 months ago; I improvised a new pull tab from an old piece of plastic and a small split ring. I thought it was a fluke, but it sounds like this is a not uncommon problem. I suspect that a tailor/alterations shop could fit a proper new pull tab.

If you want a perfect match, find out who does their warranty repairs (one such place is Rainy Pass Repair, in Seattle, WA) and see if they will send you a replacement zipper. Any good alterations place can swap out the pull tab mechanism).

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

wow 5 replies - good ones too! thanks - the paper clip and split rings are both excellent ideas - they are free & i have large quantities of both - nice to find a use for them.

hope the sliders dont break next.

----

Reissverscheisse odor Reissverschluss?

the wire used in spinnerbaits is very strong stanless steel and can be obtained in any Wal Mart's fishing tackle area for very low cost if you buy a multipack of spinnerbaits. Like a couple others said, "not elegant but effective." Before making your tab from a spiinerbait though, just be sure to cut away and the lead head and hook for your own safety and dignity. :eek:

+1 on Rainy Pass

Any good alteration shop, or perhaps even a cobbler, could do the job, good as new.

Lately I just use some 1/8" nylon twine. Tie a 1" loop into the slider. I've done the paper clip fix. Once I got industrious and soldered the paperclip together after installing it. Looked a wee goofy, but worked like it had never been broken!

"...i was thinking a small tie wrap threw the hole in the slide but maybe someone has a better idea?...."

I insert large paperclips to replace the pulls, then put duct tape on the clip. Works well, but not too pretty.

The hole in most zipper bases is pretty small. Not sure if a zip tie will fit, i do have some pretty small Zip ties tho.

Split rings and any kida tab.

Archived