IGNORED

Anybody into slot cars?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

My 4.5 y/o grandson visited; so, I bought a Scalextric Start set. It's a starter set 1:32 scale, analog; but what a lot of fun. We bought a couple of extra cars and would have bought more track were it available.

Some of the digital stuff looks really interesting with pit boxes, refueling, braking, crossovers, etc.

I have room in the basement......

C1251-GT-Endurance-Box_1.jpg

I used to be into it back in the days of pay-to-play slot car businesses. Used to built my own chassis, attach a Pitmann 300 motor with a rewound armature, and go down to the track. A dime would get you ten minutes of timed track time and a quarter would get you a whole half hour. There were commercial tracks, but the ones we raced on at John's Raceway in West Covina were all handmade by John and his son.

There was no digital in those days, so controllers were often microswitches (before the rheostats got to be reliable). I went one step further. I used an old telegraph key. Much quicker in response to inputs.

Today's slot car tracks for home use look so advanced. They are something I may investigate, once I get old enough to be a kid again.

Francois_Dumas

Wow, that brings back memories ! Scalextrix was too expensive when I was a kid, so we had Faller (H0 scale) tracks and cars. Went to the 'village center' to race the Scalextric cars on a track funded by the town... for a few dimes per afternoon.

But 1:32 scale? That's HUGE !

russell_bynum
Vid capture of grandson playing with slots.

When little kids are visiting for multiple days, this is a terrific investment to get everybody together, especially if the kids are too small for board games. Joe is 4.5 and handled the cars very well.

Luckily, the big boys had other toys and warm weather.

IMG_0145.JPG

At 2, Steven's too young for these right now, but I'm planning on setting something up sometime next year...should be a really fun thing for the kids (and adults who like to act like kids) to play with.

John Ranalletta
When little kids are visiting for multiple days, this is a terrific investment to get everybody together, especially if the kids are too small for board games. Joe is 4.5 and handled the cars very well.

At 2, Steven's too young for these right now, but I'm planning on setting something up sometime next year...should be a really fun thing for the kids (and adults who like to act like kids) to play with.

The granddaughter is 2.5 and way too young. She understood the connection between the hand control and the car, but I spent lots of time chasing cars as they spun (flew) off the track.

The Scalextric Start kits are fun and good starter set.

Wow what a flash back...we used to go to a slot car track on PCH blvd down in Hermosa Beach as a kid. I had my own car but my Dad had some wicked fast car that was all customed out. My dad was a car painter and he had it different bodies for it that were all trick painted....that is the way he was. He painted everything. My first motorcycle was a '71 Yamaha Jt1 minienduro 60 that came an orangy redish color i got new back in 1970 and by '72 he had painted it dark navy blue with a red mirrono, kind of like the modern Kameleon colors. It would flash different colors. It would look like anywhere from blue to purple to red....

Oops back to topic...he had a nice slot car

Archived