IGNORED

Washington (state) sure is backward

Lets_Play_Two

Lets_Play_Two

This backwater state might invest in good bicycle paths, but they sure don't invest in infrastructure. Power has gone out twice in a week from some little wind blowing. Not even tropical storm force----geez.

Get used to it....the snow that is currently falling will cause widespread abandonment of cars, leading to closed freeways, business brought to a virtual standstill and general mayhem for days and days after it stops falling. When I used to live there they had 7 snowplows for the entire city of Seattle....

Electricity is overrated. Lay in a supply of candles, firewood and maybe a few books on the to-read list, and you'll be fine. Where you from anyway, city boy?

(actually it depends on where you live. some places, primarily Eastern Wa., are a little more robust than others. The problem is all those pine and fir trees. The place is COVERED with them.)

There are still many places, and maintained by people, what have no electricity, but wood burning stove, oil lamp, unpaved road, and are far, far away. And considered by some to be 'favorite' places.

So when you say no electricity my mind begins to wander; out of the city, to a far away place.

dc

This backwater state might invest in good bicycle paths, but they sure don't invest in infrastructure. Power has gone out twice in a week from some little wind blowing. Not even tropical storm force----geez.

Don't tell me you moved here without a woodburning stove, chainsaw, and some pancake mix for the hot griddle. You must be from Florida.

Get your fishing pole out and lets eat. :grin:

I was going up a 1/2 mile hill tonight in deep snow and 10 degrees outside. Even with chains, the icing made that 1/2 mile trip into almost an hour.

I thought you researched the place before moving.

With the colder weather and high wnds there are fewer squirrels running in the cage so expect frequent outages.

Lets_Play_Two

Just haven't had time to get the generator installed!! But they do freak out about almost nothing. A little snow and some wind has brought Seattle to its knees!!! :) I wonder if the new mayor will survive this winter?

...A little snow and some wind has brought Seattle to its knees...

Happens every year. First thing to do is make a beer run. Next thing is turn off the local news. 10 minutes of that nonsense, and you'd swear that aliens were running around eating small children and gathering up the women to take back to planet Zelderon....

Lets_Play_Two
Looks like they have upgraded to 27 plows....

27. Yeah, that ought to do it! :dopeslap:

Politicians are always comical, but when they are trying to outsmart the weather it becomes absurd. :)

C'mon, who doesn't like a snow day! :)

Kids get to not go to school and if parents "have to" stay home too they might actually get to do something fun together. Like play in the snow!

Who cares if "things grind to a halt" for a day or two, bring it on say I.

--

Mikko

"37 degrees here in So Cal and we are almost paralyzed...we dont have clothes for this kind of weather.....lol"

My gas heating bill is gonna wreak havoc on my retirement check! AAAHHHH!

Now if we weren't playing war in some faraway country we'd have an extra 150 million/day to invest in the USA infrastructure. Golly, bet we could fix just about everything is no time flat! A set of dependable power cables to every house in the nation! Roads without craters, Bridges without grate decking, the American dream realized.

It’s not a place for a pansy to live, but it’s not backward.

Let’s see, power out at 4pm yesterday due to sustained 40mph winds with gusts in the 60’s creating a white out. No power equals no water since I couldn’t talk the other families on our communal well to spring for a generator. Candles and the fireplace keep the house up to about 58 degrees so that’s not an issue with heat or light. There is plenty of jugged water in the store room for drinking and a bucket to fetch creek water for the toilet bowls.

The only real pain was the morning commute, it’s not the snow but the freeze thaw cycle that makes the roads so damn slick around here. I didn’t appreciate the 18 inch diameter tree across my drive this morning either, I need to remember to sharpen the axe before the next time. The fun was walking 3 miles to my wife’s office that is on a generator, work has to get done.

I am somewhat confused. In my state, Michigan, the government doesn't provide electricity for the most part. Electrical service is provided by companies with stockholders etc. So if there is a demand the private (although regulated) sector provides service, without demand the service is not provided.

Unless the State of Washington is different, and that is possible, your criticism of the state seems misplaced.

JMHO.

Unless the State of Washington is different, and that is possible, your criticism of the state seems misplaced.

I'm sure the power companies are not updating the power grid and not maintaining it any better because they are held back by unnecessary and disruptive government regulation.

Most of the rural locations, Kitsap county is rural for the most part, have above ground power lines. Kitsap county also has an abundance of fir trees that reminds many locals of what Washington State used to look like. We had a great deal of wet weather just recently followed closely by this frost and high wind condition, even with planned trimming of limbs sh*t happens. A good friend is out replacing lines in freezing temps today, I’m without power but my thoughts are with him.

Cheers.

Here is a description of the electrical service providers or at least the PUD (public utility districts) in Washington State. Appears they are consumer owned not stockholders, so the customers are the owners.

Public Power

Public Utility Districts are non-profit, community-owned utilities that provide electricity and in some cases, water services. Washington's first initiative, approved by voters in 1930, gave citizens of each county the right to form a PUD. Today, twenty-eight PUD's serve more than 1.5 million citizens throughout Washington.

Local Control:

PUD's have a board of elected PUD commissioners who set policy. Benton PUD has three commissioners who are dedicated to customer service. The public is encouraged to participate in Benton PUD's open commission meetings. They meet the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 9 am.

Cost-based Rates:

Because PUD's are nonprofit utilities owned by our customers, not by stockholders, they are in business solely to provide service.

Community Benefits:

Benton PUD contributes to our community in many ways. We sponsor educational programs for students, offer use of our facilities for public meetings, support local economic development efforts, provide energy information to customers and pay taxes that support schools and communities.

In California at least the services are either State owned or state controlled to a large extent. Southern California Edison is our natural gas supplier, MWD is the primary water and electricity supplier to local agencies. The infrastructure is supplied by the State as far as i can see. When we build a Power house for the generators or water turbines we are contracted by the state usually.

I'm sure the power companies are not updating the power grid and not maintaining it any better because they are held back by unnecessary and disruptive government regulation.

Don't forget the easiest way to pump up next quarter's earnings report is to slack off on maintenance. Then you get your big stock option bonus. And when next quarter rolls around...

It was a wonderful, sunny, 82 degrees here today. Took a nice hundred mile ride. Miss it yet?

He might need to wait until hurricane season to reply to that.... ;)

Lets_Play_Two
I am somewhat confused. In my state, Michigan, the government doesn't provide electricity for the most part. Electrical service is provided by companies with stockholders etc. So if there is a demand the private (although regulated) sector provides service, without demand the service is not provided.

JMHO.

Who sets the rates in Michigan? Consumer demand?

Archived