IGNORED

R1100RT Rear Brake Rotor Replacement

twowheelsonly

twowheelsonly

Hi

I have a new rear rotor I was going to replace my rear rotor, everything was going well, wheel removed until I got to the 2 rotor bolts that secure the rotor to the rear drive which are held on by 2 small Allan screws, I tried to remove them but they did not want to release, I twisted the first one and looks like I may have damaged the allen slot so rather than strip the allen heads I left them.. did the factory use locktite on these 2 bolts? has anyone got a suggestion on what is usually required to remove them other than brute force..

Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. You have to heat them to 200 degrees F to loosen the locktite before attempting to loosen them. I completely failed, even with heating, to get them out and ended up having to get a shop to drill them out for me.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I just took mine out last night. Definitely loctited. No heat needed but YMMV. With ample heat, damaged ones should come out with an easy out.

There are a couple ways:

heat just the head

heat the rotor area to make it expand.

The shop that did mine said they spent half a day trying to get those screws out. And this is a shop that specializes in older BMWs and does full restorations (the only charged me for one hour, which I was grateful for). So, they can be a bugger to get out.

The BMW shop manual advises to heat those screws to 120 degrees C and that the OEM installation uses Locktite 273.

If there were a way to securely support the back side of the rotor mounting plate, you could use and impact driver with an allen in it, but im not sure how you could get the rotor mounting plat on a hard surface?

I don't think you want to be pounding away with the delicate setup on the crown bearing. In any case, these bolts seem to strip out really easily.

Using a body size drill or slightly smaller, drill only enough for the flat head part of the fastener to separate from the bolt. The plate can then be removed and about 1/4 inch of bolt will be protruding from the threaded hole.

The bolt will heat quickly with the plate removed and usually turn easily with vice grips.

No easy-out required. No threads damaged.

Archived