IGNORED

Top Case Road Rash Fix

DavidAnthony

My top case took a tumble off the bike and got a couple of areas

scratched up on it. I've sanded down the areas to a smooth surface

but would like to figure out a way to give those areas the same

pebbly look as the rest of the case. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Probably a less than ideal solution but perhaps painting the entire bag to match. Recently used some "hammered metal" look on some outdoor lights and it gives a textured finish and actually looks really good.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

"sandblast" with walnut shells? They use them for floor traction. Don't know what the size is but, probably more manageable than sand.

Yeeha! Stephen

Not perfect, but it works a little.

Take one of those green Scotchbrite pads and hold it up against the affected area. Pound the pad with a large mallet to impress the pad's texture into the plastic.

Kinda worked on my side case lid.

The last one about the scotchpad got me thinking...

what about a tool that is used with leather working...

I wonder if something like that exists.

DaveTheAffable
Not perfect, but it works a little.

Take one of those green Scotchbrite pads and hold it up against the affected area. Pound the pad with a large mallet to impress the pad's texture into the plastic.

Kinda worked on my side case lid.

+1

I used scotch brite type pads to remove small nicks/scratches in my old sidecases.

Gently tapping a piece of sandpaper/scotchbrite/orbital sander disk... with a rubber mallet DOES work to apply tecture to plastic. I've never done it on a side/topcase, but done it on other plastic projects.

- Rubber mallet

- Even tape a piece of foam over the mallet face so the impact is well distributed

- Gently

- Small sample area first

- Try different grits for diferent affect

Archived