IGNORED

Official January 2006 Death Valley Ride Announcement!!

KMG_365

Yes, the Longstreet is pretty much the only game "in town", such as it is. grin.gif

Precisely that remoteness (and its proximity to the Valley floor), and the minimum amenities provided there are part of the reasons the recon-team picked it for the HQ of this year's Death Valley MLK Gathering Ride. I can't speak for Phil, but I am not dead-set on making this the permanent "home base" of this ride if we find something else that strikes us as better for the group. The Longstreet has their own unique differences from other places that have truly "spoiled" us. They don't seem to have any problem selling out for weekends in January (their peak season) so they are under less pressure to capitulate to any "demands" we might want to make.

We'll do our best to make it as convenient, as comfortable, and as inexpensive as possible for those who'd like to join us riding some incredible scenery. Beyond that, we have to deal with--and choose from--the best options we're given. The Longstreet is literally in the middle of nowhere, employee turn-over might be a bit on the high side, they work with what they've got as well, and they are under relatively new management. Just keep in mind that this is NOT Las Vegas as Mike pointed out! grin.gif

I would recommend that anyone still looking for rooms post here first (as Laney already has) and also then post if you've gotten a room. Then anyone needing to cancel can get with the next poster still needing a room and make sure they're taken care of and then move on down the line. If it were me, I would make sure I got a confirmation number for my room and then plan a fun route and have a good time.

Don't forget: Phil and I are just facilitating this gathering and providing an excuse to gather with some awesome (new?) friends in a beatuifully unique part of the country to ride some awesome roads in the dead of winter! grin.gif

This gathering will be what we all make of it and the rest is just details! thumbsup.gif

How many days left????!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

[snip]Don't forget: Phil and I are just facilitating this gathering and providing an excuse to gather with some awesome (new?) friends in a beatuifully unique part of the country to ride some awesome roads in the dead of winter! grin.gif

This gathering will be what we all make of it and the rest is just details! thumbsup.gif[/snip]

Amen, brother; amen.

[snip]How many days left????!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif [/snip]

That would be 39, counting today and day of departure. Mercifully, only four of those are work days (insert teacher's s**t-eating grin here)

I've been watching the recent discussion on the digs at the Longstreet. For those that haven't been to the Longstreet, it really is a fairly nice place, considering the remote location. Clean, well appointed rooms, decent food, friendly staff, nice bar for those who imbibe, Karaoke on Friday nights, live music on Saturday nights, and very near the Valley of Death (most important item). The little things, such as finger foods on Friday, are just that, little things that are being worked out, maybe to our favor. If not, then no doubt Phil, Jaimie, and others wishing to help make this a spectacular event that we all are accustomed to, will be taken care of, one way or another. This will be a weekend to remember if we all approach it with the right attitude. I know I am planning on having a great time as I hope all of you are as well.

So, I say let's enjoy the Christmas season that is upon us and expect a great event in January. thumbsup.gif

ATTENTION! All California riders North and South! A few of us, SNC 1923, bmweerman, Tank, myself, and possibly a few others will be departing from Bakersfield on Friday the 13TH for the Longstreet. I would like to invite any of you that may be thinking of travelling the same route below to join us for the ride over.

Departure time has not been set, dependent on the arrival times of a few out of towners, but will be early enough to keep us in the light of day.

The route will consist of Hwy 178 through Lake Isabella, Ridgecrest, Trona, and Stove Pipe Wells. We will then follow Hwy 190/178 to Furnace Creek, then out of Death Valley on 190 to the junction of Hwy 127. 127 North will take us directly to the Longstreet, about 7 miles down the road. Total miles from Bakersfield is 290 miles. These are all good roads and very excellent riding with almost no traffic! I rode this same route when "we" did our recon ride a short while back and the trip was most excellent. thumbsup.gif

Of course, the weather will play its role as it always does this time of year. So far, the weather has been mild, nothing like last year. blush.gif I will be monitoring road and weather conditions very closely and will keep all of you posted that join in.

So, if you would like to join some good riders and have a great day riding with new friends and old, come join us! thumbsup.gif

Please PM me a message as well as posting here if you want to join this group. I don't want to miss a post and miss you somehow.

Wow, Greg that sounds like a great group and a great ride!

But if you would be so kind as to re-post this group Ride Plan in the "Excited Chatter" thread here. I'd like to try to keep this thread for official lodging or event schedule-related announcements.

Thanks.

I also wonder, since this thread is getting a wee bit long already, if we shouldn't start another thread for folks who are needing a room to be able to hook up with people who need to cancel their reserved ones? confused.gif

Wow, Greg that sounds like a great group and a great ride!
Yes it is shaping up to be just that, GREAT!

But if you would be so kind as to re-post this group Ride Plan in the "Excited Chatter" thread here. I'd like to try to keep this thread for official lodging or event schedule-related announcements.
I can do that, but I thought my post was an announcement and an event schedule related thingy. blush.gifdopeslap.gif BTW-the excited chatter thread had dropped off, and I was feeling lazy. That's my story and ... well you know the rest. smirk.gif

I also wonder, since this thread is getting a wee bit long already, if we shouldn't start another thread for folks who are needing a room to be able to hook up with people who need to cancel their reserved ones? confused.gif
Might be a good idea-er to help keep things straight and easier to track/find. thumbsup.gif

Just an update - no call so far from Joe at the Longstreet. I am leaving on a short business trip tomorrow, returning Thursday night, and if I haven't heard from him by then I will track him down and call him hourly if I have to Friday to get the welcome party settled.

As for the back and forth on the Longstreet, I agree with Jamie, this is just our first try here, so I am prepared to give them a chance (which I shall make clear to him Friday - this is his shot to get a repeat group annually in an otherwise obviously slow time for them). I am in the hotel business, so I won't beat him up to badly to accommodate our (my?) every whim, but I do expect them to show us they want us, as the Beatty folks did last year. Just unfortunate the ownership changed.

I also think a separate thread for the rooms list would be a good idea, and I will have an update for you on that front after I speak to Joe. I can understand their reluctance to start a waiting list (given the level of competence shown so far, it's not surprising, and may be a good thing....) but I do expect them to give me a clear count asap since they are still holding my one large. They have said they will give that back, and I have no reason to doubt it, but as long as they have it I plan to use the leverage.

More to come...........

OK, sports fans, here's the latest on our arrival shindig:

We will take the Colorado Room upstairs over the bar from 6-8pm Friday night the 13th, at no charge to us. There will be a full bar set up, with bartender, and snacks (ie, chips n dip, veggie trays and cheese/crackers). Joe will call me back first of the week with a price for the food, but he knows to keep it to $5 a head. If I can get an "Amen" on that contribution from y'all, that would be great. Nobody needs to send money, my deposit will cover all of that since the hotel is full, and we can then settle up during the arrival soiree.

As to reservations, I am expecting a faxed list of reservations any moment (uh, make that any day...) so I will post that list once receievd, probably this weekend after I get back from a business trip I am leaaving on shortly. I understand SOMEBODY has a block of 8 rooms reserved, and whoever that is, I would hope that if they decide they can't use all of them they post here and just add any takers to that block rather than releasing the rooms back into the black hole of the front desk at the Longstreet.

That's it for now. More info as I hear it / get it.

Oops, more info:

In honor of our little get-together, Joe has signed a band for BOTH nights of our stay, Friday and Sat. They will play from 7 to midnight, so unfortunately none of us will get to hear the vocal stylings of our own Jamie Edmonds on Sat - no Karaoke. frown.gif

Also, I have placed an order for some additional beers, just in case anyone has a hankering for a pale ale or AB, rather than just the usual swill.

And that IS all I know, for now.

We will take the Colorado Room upstairs over the bar from 6-8pm Friday night the 13th, at no charge to us.

he knows to keep it to $5 a head. If I can get an "Amen" on that contribution from y'all, that would be great.

Sounds good Phil.....AMEN....

Jack

Amen and halleluiah! Maybe you should ask those who DON'T agree to chime in; otherwise, this reply thread is going to get pretty long. . . .

Where else are you going to get trip planning and a buffet (of sorts) for $5? Please!

Thanks Phil! thumbsup.gif

Amen and halleluiah! Maybe you should ask those who DON'T agree to chime in; otherwise, this reply thread is going to get pretty long. . . .

Where else are you going to get trip planning and a buffett for $5? Please!

Thanks Phil! thumbsup.gif

Just checking in and all of sudden this thread has gotten pretty religious. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif With that said - put Sun-joo and I down as "In There!"

amen and thanks Phil but frown.gif on - no Karaoke with Jamie Edmonds on Sat. Was really looking forward to that smile.gif maybe if we all hum a tune he'll sing for us.

Great Job! $5.00 no worries mate, sounds like a bargain at twice the price.

Cool....so you'll throw in 5 bucks for me too?? confused.gif

Well, I dunno, that $5 might be the little-less-than-two gallons of gas worth that I'll need to make it home. grin.gif

Amen, brother Phil! Great work!

Amen, Phil--and thanks! thumbsup.gif

Gleno, if you and Terri do make it for Friday, I'll gladly cover your $5.00 each! clap.gif

Wooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Hello...I'm a newbie here, and if anyone is backing out on their reservation, I would be happy to take their spot. Has anyone started a waiting list?

$5 for the snacks is good. Having the option of decent beer is great.

Having Guniness or a great beer available...priceless!!!

Hi duc_st, and welcome!

We're trying to get a final total on rooms still available and we'll post as soon as we know. Once we get that nailed down, I think we'll be better able to use a new thread here in Ride Planning to manage a waiting list. The folks at the Longstreet are very nice, but they and the computer/reservations system are all new and we'd probably be better off trying to make sure we all have our rooms/confirmation numbers and handling any cancellations/late comers here in-house rather than relying on the "pot luck" you get when you call the front desk at the Longstreet.

By posting here you're on the list now, so if you don't get contacted by Private Mail (PM, or your email if you've listed it in your profile) by someone looking to find a taker for their room, then keep an eye out elsewhere in this forum for a thread with the "L2DV/MLK" waiting list/looking for roommate(s) list. cool.gif

Oh and Richard, we'll let you have a few Guinnesses, but you're officially CUT OFF from any more Arrogant Bastard Ale!! blush.gifgrin.gif

Oh and Richard, we'll let you have a few Guinnesses, but you're officially CUT OFF from any more Arrogant Bastard Ale!! blush.gifgrin.gif

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Jamie, are you saying he's not worthy? grin.gif

Jamie, are you saying he's not worthy? grin.gif

Well, Richard is a VERY worthy guy, but we don't want to tempt fate now do we? grin.gif

Here's a flashback for you all who were there last year courtesy of Tom "SNC1923": thumbsup.gif

14392024-M.jpg

All this "Excited Chatter" should probably go in the other thread, but what the hey--it's too long already! grin.gif

This block of rooms is filled and at this point I doubt any one from the group will cancel. Everyone is ready to go!!

We will take the Colorado Room upstairs over the bar from 6-8pm Friday night the 13th, at no charge to us. There will be a full bar set up, with bartender, and snacks (ie, chips n dip, veggie trays and cheese/crackers). Joe will call me back first of the week with a price for the food, but he knows to keep it to $5 a head. If I can get an "Amen" on that contribution from y'all, that would be great. Nobody needs to send money, my deposit will cover all of that since the hotel is full, and we can then settle up during the arrival soiree.

As to reservations, I am expecting a faxed list of reservations any moment (uh, make that any day...) so I will post that list once receievd, probably this weekend after I get back from a business trip I am leaaving on shortly. I understand SOMEBODY has a block of 8 rooms reserved, and whoever that is, I would hope that if they decide they can't use all of them they post here and just add any takers to that block rather than releasing the rooms back into the black hole of the front desk at the Longstreet.

That's it for now. More info as I hear it / get it.

thumbsup.gif
blush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif
He didn't say you couldn't have Double Arrogant Bastard Ale

True,

but it isn't the quality of the beer, its the quantity that seems to brew trouble!

I guess it is a good thing we aren't going back to Beatty anyway!!!

Well here's the Deal, I have just comfermed that a fellow that was on the fence won't be joining us, so i have a empty bed in my room, the room comes with two gueensize bunks and i will be using one of them... I have reserved the room for the nights of the 13th and 14th... is there anyone who is interested in sharein the rent P.M. me or the e-mail in my bio is good

Tank:

My buddy duc_st want's to come and doesn't have a room. I know he'd jump at the chance, if it is still available.

-Roburt

All

I have in my hot little hands the reservation list for our get-together. Turns out we have 56 of the 59 available rooms reserved - the other three are handicap accessible rooms, which the Longstreet says no one wanted! C'mon, the rooms are just like a regular room (these three are kings) except the toilet seat may be a bit higher, the closet shelves are lower, and there is probably no cabinet around the lav sink (so not much space for your cosmetics ).

I also happen to have two rooms in my name, one too many, but neither of those is a suite which I was supposed to have.

So, to sum this up, they are giving me the last Suite left (handicap accssible), there are two more accessible rooms available, and there are another two in my name which I am hanging on to. One of those is likely already spoken for, I am just waiting to hear back from the Sock Monkey, so the other one is up for grabs - first person to PM or Email me gets it. I am not giving those back to the hotel as I don't want to "lose them".

Arrival party is all set, I signed the paperwork today, so all that's left is for y'all to get on yer bikes and get movin'!

See you in the Valley about 30 some-odd days from now.

Just poppping in here to remind everyone that tomorrow is the deadline for cancellations to get a refund. If you do cancel before the deadline, PLEASE post here so one of our group can grab the room. If you have to cancel after the deadline, remember you're still on the hook for the cost of the room until you can find someone here to take the reservation off your hands. At least it looks like we won't have to worry about handing back any rooms to the Longstreet, so it'll just be us and the few "locals" who hang out in the bar and eat in the restaurant! clap.gif

Thanks, SM, you are all set.

Now, who wants the other room I am holding in my name?

Is Roburt's friend "duc_st" gonna grab that room or is he gonna bunk with Tank?

Head's up for those wanting to save even more dough and double up, the rooms are pretty comfortable and even the "cheap" room we stayed in on the Pre-run had a decent amount of space and a second lavatory in the room, which makes sharing a room that much more comfortable for two riders who don't know each other that well, or even for two couples.

. . . and then there's always the camping option . . . . grin.gif

Thanks, SM, you are all set.

Now, who wants the other room I am holding in my name?

Gleno does. Was gonna bring the toy hauler and a coupla diff machines, but, if there's a room available....I'll do that this time. Lemme know.

Archived