IGNORED

The best and worst of DVD (UPDATE)

PhillyFlash

This is a long tale of my DVD experiences. If you just want to read the gory details of my crash, scroll about two thirds of the way down. But you'll miss the fun parts.

Prologue

This was my first DVD, but certainly not the first time that I had ridden with many of the people there. We've had the Torrey's, Gunnison, SoCal rides, and other get togethers, and I've always had a great time. So when I had the opportunity to head over to Southern California the Friday of DVD to meet Denny, Russell, Rodger and Sue, and Jamie and Leslie for the ride to Death Valley, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I had spent a fair amount of time with Denny, and had done a good bit of riding with Russell and him, but had only met Jamie and Leslie a couple of times. I was looking forward to getting to know them better. It was my first time meeting Rodger (Signman) and Sue.

Friday

I had never been on the road through Joshua Tree up to Twenty-Nine Palms, or any of the other roads up to Death Valley, so this was a real treat for me. I met everyone in Mecca, including Pepo, who wasn't going to Death Valley, but just came along to ride with us for awhile. We stood around eating Cinnamon rolls and telling stories until it was time to go. Russell lit out from Mecca at a pretty good pace, and I slid in behind him. We quickly left the others behind as we carved our way through the canyon up to I-10. Some of the curves still had gravel in the apex, so we didn't push it. The others soon caught up to us, and we cruised into the visitor center at Cottonwood, then on to Twentynine Palms. Being a desert dweller, and riding many times through the AZ desert, this was a familiar kind of ride, not too much different from what I've been used to. It was still quite pretty, with good roads, and some nice twisties.

Twentynine Palms has an excellent Mexican restaurant, and we couldn't pass it up. We spent much too much time sitting around, eating, telling stories, and laughing, just like a typical BMW get-together. This is something that you may have heard before, and you'll certainly hear again: we got along as if we had known each other since childhood, even though we all met less than a year and a half ago. This BMW group bonds quickly and strongly, and it quickly becomes evident that we are a family.

We finally left the Mexican restaurant (Ed Chilada's?), said our good-byes to Pepo, and continued north through the desert. The weather was almost perfect - low to mid 70s, clear blue sky, but occasional strong gusts of wind (no problem for the RT). We rode through Amboy, Kelso, Baker - places I had only known from maps, but now enjoying the starkness of the desert canyons and mountains, and the virtually empty roads. We continued north up 127 to Tecopa and Shoshone, racing though fantastic twisting desert canyons and low mountains. The scenery was unbelievable, as the sun set, casting an orange glow on the hillsides, and a full moon rose over the mountains in an ever darkening blue sky. The scene was so striking that it was difficult to keep our eyes on the road, something that's important to do at 110!

We slowly approached Shoshone, with a warning from Denny that there is always a cop there. The local LEO didn't let us down, sitting there watching us as we took a break, and heading out just 5 minutes before us. That meant for a dull speed limit ride until we were sure that he wasn't waiting up the road for us. It was now dark, and the only thing lighting the road was the brilliant full moon and Russell's million candlepower spotlights. The road continued to twist and turn, and rise and fall, and I tucked in close on Russell's six so that I could see what was up ahead. My stock RT headlight was as good as someone lighting a match, so I put my trust in Russell. I kept my eyes focused ahead of his bike, so I never knew the ridiculous speeds we were traveling at until he told me later. There aren't many riders I would trust to lead me like that, but he certainly is one of them. It was a blast.

We finally pulled into Furnace Creek at Death Valley, and it was like old home week and a class reunion rolled into one. We quickly found old friends and made new ones. It was good to see Wurty, finally on parole. There was Arizona Al, and Brian T (with a surprise appearance by Meghan), and Cary, and Daryll, and Dick, and Laney, and the Monkey (who no longer had it in for me); Fernando, Sam, Mike, Dave; you couldn't keep track. They were everywhere. The night was spent eating, drinking, socializing, telling lies, smoking ceegars, and keeping all the women away from Wurty.

Saturday

Morning came differently to each of us. Some were up early, and riding with the rising sun. Many of us slept in and met for breakfast in the restaurant or at the buffet. Some even completed their 600 mile service before taking their ride. My group decided to ride up past Panamint Springs, a relatively gentle ride, according to Al and Denny. There were 6 of us- Russell, Denny, Arizona Al, Rodger & Sue, and me. The road to Stovepipe Wells had some twists and turns and beautiful desert and mountain scenery, but it was wide open and made for sightseeing more than for hooning. We hit some high speeds, but there was nothing spectacular.

Following Stovepipe Wells, the road began to climb and became twistier. Russell took off, and I was right behind him. We reached a stretch of road that had many peaks and dips, and while my RT never went airborn, several times I did. It was like being on a roller coaster, and Russell and I were a couple of kids yelling to each other on our radios. We twisted and turned up the mountain, leaving the others further and further behind. Russell pushed the limits hard, and I did my best to keep up with him. It's tough to stay with Russell when he rides 2-up, and even tougher when he's solo, but I stayed pretty close. We crested a mountain and an enormous valley opened up before us. The view was spectacular, but we had little time to appreciate it as we realized that we were now careening steeply down the other side of the mountain though an enormously long series of giant sweepers. We leaned over and hung off on the long right hander, and just as I saw Russell shift his body to the left and enter the left hander I heard a loud "whoooohooooo" through the radio. I couldn't tell you how fast we were going, but I doubt we could have gone much faster.

The road kept angling downward but straightened out, and we took our speed to the max. The only thing that slowed us down was a vehicle parked at the bottom. This was not the place that we wanted to get clocked at, ahem, a very high rate of speed, so we slowed down and stopped to wait for the others. Once we saw them coming, I started out and Russell followed. The road continued across the valley, then climbed up the other side in a tighter series of numerous S-curves. I didn't push it as hard, but set a fast, comfortable rhythm. We passed through Panamint, and kept climbing, back and forth, back and forth, Russell staying the same distance behind me all the way up as we danced in synch almost to the top. We stopped near an overlook, laughing about the thrill of this unexpected ride, waiting for the others to arrive. When we were all together, Denny and Al laughed about telling us this road wasn't very exciting. Nice joke.

The Fall

It was decided to ride to the overlook. This was dirt, and rocky, and sloped downhill, with many large rocks embedded in the ground and partially jutting out. The going became very tough and Al warned us to pick our way carefully. That's when it happened. I was making my way through some larger rocks, and glanced ahead to pick my path, when suddenly I found myself on the ground, looking up at blue sky, and thinking "What the F***!!" Russell was yelling into the FRS "Howard's down! Howard's down!" It all happened in an instant. No slip, no slide, just straight down! Hard!! And I couldn't lift my head. Russell was the first to make it to me, asking if I was OK. My first response, in typical rider fashion, was "Is the bike still running?" Priorities. My next response was that I couldn't lift my head. Each time I tried, it felt like something was pulling me down. Something was - the cord to my FRS. Once it was unplugged, I realized that I could move again, and Russell helped me to my feet. Denny was now there, and then Al, and the three of them quickly lifted my bike back on its wheels, which stopped the oil from continuing to run downhill. Rodger and Sue were a little further up the hill, being careful not to end up like me. They were soon off of their bike, and came over to lend a hand. I had some pain in my right ribs, and my right foot, but overall felt pretty good. But just in case, Denny told me to take it easy, slow down, and check myself over. He also seemed to be keeping a close watch on me, waiting to see if I was going to fall over. We tried to figure out what happened. As best as we could tell, I must have caught the edge of a large, embedded, immovable rock with the side of my tire, which forced the wheel to quickly turn hard to the left, resulting in an instant fall to the right. All at a speed of about 5 mph. Yes, 5 miles per hour. Just a freak incident.

They pushed my bike to a flat area, and other riders started to appear; Gleno, Brant, and Andy to begin with; some riders I never had met before; some Harley riders; and an older nearly blind man and his wife, who politely asked if they could take photos of our bikes (that she would use to paint from later). He took a genuine interest in our BMWs, and we took an interest in telling him all about them. Oddly enough, this was developing into a party atmosphere. There was some good-natured kidding (with me as a perfect target), and just a good old time. (See photos taken by anyone who cares to share them). Al found a couple of genuine good samaritans in Panamint with a pick up truck who took us back to Panamint, then graciously agreed to drive me all the way back to Furnace Creek. No matter how hard I tried, I could not give these people any money, buy them dinner, buy them booze, or any other compensation. They kept saying that this was just the right thing to do, they wanted nothing in return, and believed if they help out others, others will help out them. I was deeply touched by this, and feel very indebted. They just hoped that I would do the same for someone else some time.

The ride down the mountain to Panamint was quite different than the ride up, especially trying to explain that the hoons who were passing us on a downhill left hand curve at a high rate of speed were really not in any danger because they could see through the curve from further back on the mountain, and they all had radios to communicate with each other. Yeah, right, they believed that one.

I kept a pretty good attitude for most of Saturday and Saturday night. Lots of people came up to find out what happened, make sure I was alright, and to give their condolences on my RT. We had a wake, and drank to it. Daryll made sure I had some appropriate Scotch for the occasion, and Jerry provided Jack Daniels. My Jim Beam went quickly. Everyone was amazed that all the damage occurred from a 5 mph fall. Right and center fairing damage, belly pan scraped, windshield cracked, windshield pushed in breaking the motor, right footpeg panel cracked, fairing twisted and shifted to the left, and the right cylinder head cover cracked open. How much more damage won't be known until my dealer takes a look at it next week.

We had a great time Saturday night, with a continual party in Denny and Arizona Al's room, as Al made earplugs while everyone got, well, a little tipsy. Someone else will have to tell the saga about Sock Monkey that evening, because I had to spend time in my room, making phone calls to try to find a way to get my bike home. The reality of the whole thing was settling in; bummer. Andy Sager walked all over the campground with me, trying to find someone with a trailer who was heading to AZ. Gleno said he would help out in any way I needed, and would go home and get his trailer if I wanted him to. Shelley, Angie, and John, my riding buddies in Phoenix, were all set to jump in the truck Sunday morning and ride all the way to Death Valley to get me. Brant was ready to help out in any way he could, as were several others. Jamie checked my ribs and foot for any breaks, and Leslie gave lots of emotional support. Tool and Russell were always there for me; good buddies, both of them.

Sunday

Arizona Al let me ride on the back of his RS for 90+ miles Sunday morning, taking me to Indian Springs so that I could pick up a U-Haul (an experience I won't soon forget smile.gif). Denny and Jamie pushed my bike up the ramp into the U-Haul while Leslie sat on it and steered. I had a long, lonely ride home, with a great dinner stop at Gleno and Terri's, then getting home at 3 am on Monday. Now comes the repair estimates, fights with insurance, etc., etc., etc.

Epilogue

So, did I have a good time at DVD? I had a great time! I had some fantastic rides with great friends, I got to see old friends and make new ones, I laughed until all hours of the night at Denny and Al's party central, and back at the room with my roomy Russell, and I have some good stories to tell. As much as I love my RT, I'm really keeping things in perspective, and have the attitude that it is just a bike, it can be fixed or replaced, I have no broken bones, I'm not in the hospital, no one else got hurt, and in a few months, this will all be behind me. Most of all, it was reaffirmed that we are part of a close-knit group of people who truly care about each other. The friends that I've made over the last year and a half while riding, many of whom were not named, were there for me, just as they would be for any others in this group. DVD was the best, well, almost. See you there next year. Just don't look for me at any dirt overlooks.

Howard, that was a very emotional and moving write up. Thank you for sharing it with us.

When I saw you after your mishap I was mightily impressed at your grace and stength in a difficult situation.

You sir are in my personal motorcycling hall of fame.

Cory's right. As soon as I saw Howard wasn't hurt badly and was using humor to ward off the negative vibes, I started heckling him about his Remus exhaust and his Ohlins shocks. "Good thing you didn't dent that pipe. If the bike's totaled, I want the Remus. Might even make you a package deal for the Remus AND the Ohlins. Gleno's got a set of bent rims. Let's throw those on there and it'll be totaled for sure. I got tools. Can we take the pipe off now?" Howard, a gentleman if there ever was one, took it all in stride.

Yes, we're all family. But some are more family than others. They would never step up and admit it, but it's because of how much they give.

You need a hand? Howard will help. Want to organize something? Howard's your man. Need a GREAT moderator? Let's pick Howard. So when those folks told Howard that what goes around comes around, they didn't know that THEY were the "coming around" for Howard. Nevertheless, rest assured that when it comes time to "go around," Howard will be there pitching in with the best of them.

Mr. Rush (can I call you Mister?), you're a class act. Even later that evening, when I saw you soften up a bit to the reality of the damage that had been inflicted on your baby, you were trying not to let it show, lest it alter everyone else's fun.

Next time we all get together, anyone who's new to the group needs to sit next to Howard and see one of the big reasons WHY we're like a family. We got really good kin.

russell_bynum

Thanks for the recap, brother. Up to the point of your mishap, that was one of (if not THE) most fun riding I've done.

Having you along on the Friday ride made it just that much better. I felt a real bond as we blasted down the curves into the valley at 100+ in the dark (I love those 910's). We stayed up WAY too late on Friday night talking about...well...everything. Saturday's ride was just spectacular. Our pace down the hill was fast, but prudent, and I just LOVE that right-hand sweeper (the wooohoooo turn was really a YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA turn and it was a right, not a left wink.gif ). I got to ride it again on the way out of DV on Sunday and went blowing by a dude on (I think) a K75s and an RT (black RT...dude had an orange vest on) like they were going backwards...and I was going slower than you and I did. laugh.gif That blast across the valley was sweet and I only wish that car hadn't been there playing "I might be a LEO" mind games with us....not that it really mattered...I think 132 (GPS) was as fast as that bike was going to go that day anyway. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

When you shot ahead at the start of the climb, I grinned ear to ear and tucked in tight behind you. That first big right-hander I found some sand or something and wound up sliding the front end a bit...but the rest of the ride up was sticky and fast with decent sight lines and just all-out great hooning with a hoon's hoon leading the way. smile.gif

Your accident bummed me out, but I was glad you were OK. Everyone helping out didn't suprise me, but it did totally amaze me. Gleno was there, as Gleno always is when people need help and he provided both his assistance and a ribbing that only Gleno could come up with "So, you went down without your helmet on?" "no, I had it on." "Well dude, what happened to your face then?!" laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I know we probably shouldn't have passed you on the way down the hill in the pickup, but we just couldn't help it...it was our duty. smile.gif Al blazing the way on that rocket ship RS of his with me stuck to his fender and Gleno stuck to my fender as I'm hanging off to the left and we go rocketing past you with Al calling "All clear" over FRS. I knew you were probably in there saying "Those *ssholes", but like I said...we couldn't help it. Call it a Hoon salute. laugh.gif

I found it ironic that Crash and Bounce were roomies. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Saturday's party at Tool and Al's was about the most fun anyone should ever be allowed to have.

I had an absolute blast riding and YOU were one of the biggest factors in that. Not too bad for a guy who leads the "slow" ride at Torrey. wink.giftongue.gifsmile.gif

If the bike is totalled (and I'd be amazed if it was not), and you find something out in my neck of the woods that you want me to check out, you know who to call. Of course...if' it's a K12, I might just get lost again but that's just a risk you'll have to take. wink.gif

Howard-

Thanks for a truly moving write-up and for sharing what was probably the best of times and the worst of times - all in one afternoon.

Really sorry to hear about your bike and such a freak accident. I'm thrilled, however, to hear that you made it through OK - both physically and apparently emotionally.

I had to read and re-read the tale of the ride you and Russell took a couple of times. I felt like I was there along for the ride - incredible. With the amount of skill it takes to ride THAT kind of ride - I am blown away - and can at this point only dream of being in a league like that. Incredible stuff and incredible skill.

Although we've never met, I just wanted to say I had a knot in my stomach when I heard your bike was wrecked and held my breath waiting for your ride tale.

Recently, I was witness to an accident that was much much worse, and no doubt the drama of that hasn't worn off yet in my mind. Glad you're OK.

See you in Torrey, if not sooner. I'll be the one with a passenger bringing up the rear! laugh.gif

Nice write up. I've been on all those roads you wrote about and have to agree. I've burned up rear tires chasing both Russell and you so I can imagine the fun you were having. I hold you solely responsible for destroying that brand new Dunlop D205 that no longer had side tread on it, only a center stripe of tread, after the "slow ride" at Torrey. There's nothing better than riding with a similar rider on challenging roads.

I may not have showed it, but my heart sank after hearing about your mishap, even though everyone said you were ok. After seeing your bike I felt even worse. You took it better than I would have. You're always a class act.

If you need anything, you know how to reach your brothers here. When you need to put some break in miles on the new K bike, I'm sure Russell and I will meet you halfway.

Howard,

Thanks for sharing the details. Great fun until........ Glad that your ok. Wonderful group-none better that I know of. Take care and I'll see you on the way to torrey.

Howard,

I'm glad you're O.K. I had heard about the incident and that you were O.K., so I was really waiting for all the ribbing to start...

Bikes only stay broke for a while...being able to laugh at yourself keeps you smiling for life!!

Hang in there brother!

Howard,

Enjoyed reading about the weekend we “invested” with you. You were able to recreate our trip

and make it happen all over again, the riding, the food, the laughter, and the good people. It was

certainly time well spent.

This was our first big ride with the RT “family”, and we will never forget it, thanks, we had a

blast!

Sure do hope that what's watching over you, is watching out for the rest of us like that!!

So....about those free parts..........................

Pat

Brant Herbert

The Rescue

I arrived at Furnace Creek at about 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Gleno and I had taken a leasurely ride from Boulder City, stopping in Vegas for breakfast and to catch up on life, then pointing the bikes toward Pahrump. We'd stopped at the race track outside of Pahrump and watched some NSX's and assorted bimmers and Porsches run some laps for a while before leaving the last of the "big" cities for a couple days. We weren't in any particular hurry to get anywhere. The fall Torrey ride had been both our last real rides. It was nice to be back in the high desert again.

There was a group of unknown faces gathered at the General Store. Seemed most of the BMWRT.com regulars were either still sleeping or getting ready or had left for their day rides already. We gathered a group of about six bikes -- Gleno, Andy, and myself, plus a few others whose names I don't remember at this moment, sorry -- and decided to head to Panamint Springs for a burger.

The ride across the Valley floor was spectacular (as everyone has already commented). A brisk and enjoyable pace. Panamint Springs appeared on the horizon as a clump of trees at the western base of the mountains capturing this valley. Gleno, who was leading, faked a move into the parking lot, then off he went up the hill. Hey! I thought we were stopping to eat!! Then I saw the sign: "Twisties. Next 11 Miles" Oh. Okay. So off we went.

What a great ascent! We'd catch glimpses of the valley vistas as we'd round each turn. Awesome! Up and up we go. Then, as we seemed about to crest, one last right hander and in the distance, a group of bikes with hands a-waving. Some of our own, I was sure.

We pulled off the road onto this rocky, gravelly pullout overlooking the valley to the east. Very rocky! As I gingerly navigated my RT toward the others, I had this distinct sense that all eyes were watching as I picked my way through the mine field. I pulled to a stop and dismounted. The handshakes and hugs quickly ensued.

"How is everyone??"

"Howard fell!!"

WHAT??? I looked over to my right. Howard was at his bike, cell phone to his ear tethered to the dash accessory socket. I think, "What are they taking about? Howard and the bike look fine!?"

"He hit a rock going down THAT path (pointing to the white path in the distance) and the bike went over." Now I understood why everyone appeared concerned that we safely land *our* RTs as we joined the pack.

From the distance, and from the left side, I couldn't see any damage. But from the other side, ... Ouch!

DSCN5026_small.jpg DSCN5027_small.jpg

DSCN5025_small.jpg DSCN5029_small.jpg DSCN5030_small.jpg

Howard continued to make phone calls to Roadside Assistance, trying to locate a tow out of here . I did a quick scan of the horizon looking for cell towers. Nothing. We're out in the middle of nowhere, how the heck does Howard have coverage out here? I checked my phone. "Verizon, Can you hear me now??" Nope. Guess AT&T wins this time.

DSCN5031_small.jpg

There was some creative brainstorming as all options for getting Howard out of here were explored. Gleno managed to borrow a tow strap from a guy in a travel trailer. Gleno: "Okay, we'll attach it to the right footpeg on Denny's bike here, then Howard you hold this end and we'll tow you home! Denny and Howard, you both good with that??" Sorry, I wouldn't have wanted to be in either of their shoes at that moment.

DSCN5033_small.jpg

Then Al decided to run back down the hill to Panamint Springs and see if anyone there had a truck or trailer. At least we could get Howard to safety where there was food and water, then figure it out from there. So off Al went.

DSCN5034_small.jpg

Al came back about 30 minutes later saying two things: "I found a guy with a truck. He's on his way up.", and "If you thought that road was great coming up, just WAIT till you do it going DOWNHILL !!!!!!"

A couple minutes later the truck showed up. Howard was STILL on the phone trying to work the details of getting home.

DSCN5036_small.jpg

The driver ran the truck down the hill a bit till he found a perfect spot where the ramp would be more horizontal. Gleno maneuvered Howard's injured RT into position.

DSCN5037_small.jpg DSCN5038_small.jpg

"You think if we just gave it a heave here, it'll roll up that ramp on its own??" Russell gives Gleno a sanity check. Gotta love Gleno!! smile.gif

DSCN5039_small.jpg

Howard greets his Good Samaritans. "That ramp is for a dirt bike", and we're cautioned it'll snap under the weight of the RT. So everyone pitched in to lift it ('cept for me, I was busy shooting pics smile.gif)

DSCN5040_small.jpg DSCN5042_small.jpg DSCN5043_small.jpg

The fallen ride got secured in the truck bed, and Howard loaded up his stuff and off they went.

DSCN5045_small.jpg DSCN5050_small.jpg

DSCN5056_small.jpg DSCN5052_small.jpg

Despite this unexpected twist to our day's adventure, it was still great to be in such an awesome place.

DSCN5054_small.jpg DSCN5051_small.jpg

I've had a fear for a long time now that one of these days one of my riding brothers would go down. I've read the Ride Tales. I knows it's happened to others. It got close to home this day. Howard was hardly pushing any limits when this incident occurred (except perhaps trying to spontaneously mutate his RT into a GS). It had only been a tip over, really, but the damage was pretty severe.

For me it was a reminder. S**t happens. Anywhere. Anytime. Be prepared. And be careful.

Howard, I'm glad so many people came together this day with an "It's the right thing to do", "Pay it forward" attitude. It was pretty cool to experience that.

"Family" is right!

See you on the road again real soon.

Brant,

Thanks for taking all of the photos. Although I was there, I never saw it all from that perspective. Great job documenting everything, as always. You can see from the photos that if it wasn't for a wrecked bike, it would have been a festive occasion. Even with the wrecked bike it was a pretty festive occasion. And Al's home made jerky sure spiced up the event!

Yes, Gleno suggested Denny towing me part way and then letting gravity do its part. He also wasn't too optimistic about my brakes, but said I could worry about that on the way down. There was even some talk about trying to tow me all the way back to Furnace Creek, and we might have tried that if nothing else worked.

BMW Roadside Assistance - they really did try to get me a tow, and they would have sent somoeone if I needed to have it. The problem was that the nearest towing place was 100 miles away, and they would only pay for $100 of the towing charges. I was told that they will still pay $100 of the cost to get the bike home, plus room and food during tht time. I have no complaints with Roadside Assistance. They were trying their best, and I'm sure they'll reimburse some expenses. They even tried to send the police out, but said they couldn't find any in the area. That's how remote we were. (I'm glad they couldn't find any.)

Ah, Howard.

So three of the Chief Hoons of the western group have gone down this year. In each case, it wasn't their fault --- but still their responsibility. And I note, none of it had to do with Hoonery. Never seems to. Seems to be like speeding tickets: Just a matter of miles.

Big damage. Perhaps the worst of the three. Why? Slow Speed. You, as well as the bike, are more likely to suffer serious damage at low speed. That's because the impacts are direct, rather than glancing. Sure, hitting tree at speed will be direct. But, I note that "going slow" is not a proof from disaster.

Oh that RT Crowd. God planted the seeds. Somebody's been hard at work culling the result since. I can't imagine a finer group to associate with, nor help to grow. Well, in Thailand there was this group of monks who bought mini-bikes, and they... Nah, they didn't know thing one about Bourbon.

A Crash? Part of the experience. Glad you got to experience it within, and to share it with that special group. And glad too you've now shared it will us all. And what a magnificent way to express it, right there in the midst of all that Riding, that beautiful county, living one day of many with those whose hearts are open to all of that. A fly speck on an elephant.

I've got an RS I can't ride right now. Why not come over and pick it up?

Howard, thanks for taking the time to put this in writing. I'm just now getting the time to read it. My biggest regret was that I wasn't there to make fun of you! Those rare opportunities should not be squandered.

When I heard that you went down, I didn't know the circumstances until a little later. I was very relieved to hear that nothing serious happened to you.

I want to thank you again publicly for your service as a moderator and for your kind hospitality when I got to ride with the AZ gang this summer. That was a blast. You are a very good rider and human. I wish we lived closer so that we could ride more together.

The first time was that day with Cary and Fernando in Colorado. Great fun, eh? And then a day and a half worth of it in AZ.

Take care, man. And if I may be so bold, if they total your bike I think you should not get another RT. I think it's time for something different!

Did anyone shoot a picture of the trail where Philly, (Howard) went down. Thanks

Glad you were not hurt, let us know what the insurance will do for the bike or will you fix it on your own.

Arizona Al let me ride on the back of his RS for 90+ miles Sunday..an experience I won't soon forget

Glad you're OK. Truthfully, what was scarier...the fall or riding with ArizonaAl smile.gif Does he do the sweepers at 130mph two-up as well.smile.gif

Sorry I missed you when I was in AZ. Hopefully, next time.

Read about

"My biggest regret was that I wasn't there to make fun of you! Those rare opportunities should not be squandered."

David, I like to think we would have made you proud... didn't let up even after Howard started the "Please don't make me laugh, my ribs hurt" whining thing. In fact, we deviously kept him propped up with booze and pain pills all evening so he wouldn't go hide from our "Tough Love." tongue.gif

In response to whether anyone got a shot of the trail, I think Sue and Rodger may have snapped one or two... I seem to remember Sue slyly asking if it would be considered poor taste to have taken a shot of Howard still lying on his back under the RT... I replied that I wanted a copy. I can only hope she wasn't joking!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I'm fairly certain SOMEONE has a shot of that pitiful puddle of 20w-50 RT blood... slowly seeping into the rocky ground. Probably busy contacting the EPA to use on Flash for some Moderator extortion!

In reply to:

I seem to remember Sue slyly asking if it would be considered poor taste to have taken a shot of Howard still lying on his back under the RT... I replied that I wanted a copy. I can only hope she wasn't joking!!

I hope she wasn't joking, either. I want a framed copy of that photo.

"...I want a framed copy of that photo. "

Hey, Crash... GET IN LINE! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But seriously... I hope she wasn't kidding, too! Hee hee. OK, so I wasn't being serious. Or was I? tongue.gif

The long awaited shot are being developed today and will be up for all to see tonight.

Let's cross are fingers and hold our breath.

Here we are at Mecca, where we met up with Howard. That's Jamie tring to put as many sweet rolls in his mouth as he can.

010_10.jpg

One of the many straight roads where you can see forever.

009_9.jpg

Ahhh, "the 10W/50 blood trail" You can only see the tail end of the rock that the valve cover hit. I think it was the tallest rock on the road. I know they don't look that large, but in real life they were.

008_8.jpg

A shot that has been seen many times.

007_7.jpg

Howard and Russell, looking back at the crash scene thinking, what in the h*#ll just happened and how are we going to get out of here?

006_6.jpg

We all, Denny, Russell, Al, and myself pushed the bike to the top of the hill. On the way down, Al was steering it, while Russell & I pushed, Denny walks with Howard.

005_5.jpg

I know it's been over a week to get these posted, but we tried to sell them to the tabloids first.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, folks, the wake that we had for my RT in Death Valley was not premature. Insurance has decided to total it. Dealer said it would cost a minimum of $7500 to repair, based on what they could see on the surface, with the possiblity of additional costs once they tore it apart. Insurance will give me $7900 due to my mileage (62k). A sad day, indeed. frown.gif

Thanks to everyone who helped out that weekend at DVD, and helped keep my spirits up. You're a great group.

Oh, well, time for me to go out and buy me a Norton Black Shadow. smile.gif

Moved to Classified smile.gif

A Norton Black Shadow? Everyone around here seems to like them Eyetalian jobs. You know, them 99x's Look great to me, and your insurance agent would probably love it smile.gif

Mike Cassidy

Archived