IGNORED

Triumph Sprint problem?

RT Russ

Not sure where to put this. Thought Wrenching but since it's a diffferent brand I'll put it here for now.

A good friend with a 200X Triumph 955 Sprint had to get a jump start 2 miles from work this morning after he stopped for gas. He had already ridden 25+ miles from home to the gas station. We went out with my Digital volt meter a few minutes ago, 11.9V DC. It did manage to start and the voltage did not come up much. Revved it to 4K and the voltage never went above 12.4V DC. I should go over 13.5V DC but never did. We pulled the battery and are having it charged at our auto garage here at the plant.

We have to assume that the alternator is going bad AGAIN. 2 years ago the alternator stator failed and he replaed it with an aftermarket part that was supposed to be 25% highere output. The rider has PIA's and Gerbings and I felt that the Triumph alternator was not designed for that much current. Winter weather has not hit yet and he was not using the Gerbings today, he also took the PIA's off so he wasn't running them either.

Any of you that run the Triumph ever have an alternator issue?

ShovelStrokeEd

As I recall, the alternator on my Sprint ST, a different motor as it is a 1050, puts out 480 watts which is more than adequate for my needs.

Stator problems are not unheard of on both the early and late Triumphs and the aftermarket, high output stator does not enjoy a very good reputation.

Quite often, the problem doesn't lie so much with the stator as with the wiring and connectors between the stator and the voltage regulator and battery. Voltage regulator position is also a bit of an issue. They really need to be located where there is plenty of air flow and, on the earlier bikes, they are tucked into a corner of the RH fairing. Regulator overheats and dumps too much current, taking out the stator. Tests our fine on the bench after.

There is a lot of information to be had at www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/

Thanks for the link. I've forwarded it to my friend. You said, "tests out fine on the bench later". Funny, I work with industrial motors so I took a motor winding analyzer with surge comparison capability to his original stator....it took nearly 5000 volts before it flashed over from one coil to another....we had fun that day!

• 2 weeks later...

Check the AC Voltage output from the stator while running. It should be at least 40v ac at 3000rpm or above. If it is put a regulator on it. Company called Ricks makes them for $120.95 retail and another called Electrosport industries make them for $86.95 PM me if you want one. I can do credit card over the phone and I'll do free shipping. Ken

Archived