IGNORED

Reliability: K1200LT ?

NonComp

I don't know too much about the K1200LT, but I keep seeing what appear to be really good deals on the LTs on Craig's List. Currently, there is an '07 in my neighbourhood that had a clutch replacement at 17k miles (owner abandoned the bike in mid-trip at friend's house, bought a used Goldwing and left the bike with the friend to sell).

What are the issues/weaknesses with these bikes? Comparitive value suggests that they don't have the resale value that Goldwings do (maybe not a bad thing, if you are 'value buyer'). How are they for DIY wrenching?

Rich06FJR1300

i have heard a lot of horror stories in regards to this bike, probably why i will never buy one. Just numerous issues with the drivetrain components and you have to pretty much dis-assemble the entire bike to get at certain parts. Yes, some owners will chime in they never had any issues but just be aware, it looks like its not an easy bike to maintain (unless of course you use your dealer).

The original owner dropped the bike off after it broke, bought a GoldWing, continued his trip.

What is there to discuss?

The original owner dropped the bike off after it broke, bought a GoldWing, continued his trip.
Enquiring minds want to know... why an LT of similar vintage would cost half of what a comparable Goldwing would cost. Are they really that bad?

OK, I'm also cheap and a bargain hunter.

Compare apples to apples.

Post the ads showing the 2 bikes have similar miles and equipment.

Then we can talk.

I know people who have ridden them through Alaska, throgh water crossings etc.

They get better mpg than a GoldWing.

About 3 years ago MCN did a comparison.

LT/Gold/Ultra

75,000 miles

5 years

all costs

purchase price and resale (real world)

LT was #1

#2 was GW

#3 waaay back Ultra

Many might not agree.

Maintenance?

There is some serious disassembly at some service intervals.

Guess my friends have been fortunate, no problems.

Best wishes.

I have had 2 LT's. The first one was pretty good. The second was one of the horror stories. I think you will find the LT is beemers poster child for pre-mature final drive failure. Mine happened at 12k miles. The similar issues are the o-ring leaking form the slave cylinder on the clutch, final drives, stereos, CD player skipping, trunk latches. I see these issues pop up alot on the LT forum and I have personally experienced almost all of them on my LT's. They are a PITA to dis- assemble and work on if you need to but overall they are great bike to ride. I never felt comfortable leaving town on mine, afraid of what was next so I sold my last one. If it werent for all the mechanical issues, I would still have my LT. I have been tempted to buy another just because of how much I like it, but I dont have the time to invest in working on it. My personal thoughts of the gold wing is that it holds a much better value over the LT. I have seen plenty of early 2000's LT's for 6k dollars, I dont see wings dipping down like that. The cost of owning an LT will most likely offset any savings in purchase IMO. I amsure I will be tarred and feathered for that statement, but thats my opinion. If I buy another beemer it will most likely be a boxer out of simplicity and ease of working on, eventhough they often share some of the same issues.

Well, that's basically what I'm asking. The LT that caught my eye has been on Craig's List for a month at C$12k and the current seller says he will take any reasonable offer. No takers and it looks great.

A similar LT out of town has an asking price of $25k, but that's unusual. Similarly equipped Goldwings usually sit at $18k to $20k+. Its not that unusual to see LTs with reasonable mileage in the $12k to $15k price range that don't move for months. I don't often see an LT with more than 40-50k miles on them.

Having one foot in the boxer camp, I have to say that those sound like similar issues to what an r1100, r1150 or r1200 owner might run into. Add spline failures, stick coil failures, quick disconnect failures ABS problems, etc. etc. No CDs skipping or trunk latch failures, but you get the idea.

Calvin  (no socks)

I picked up a used one and took it from Fla to Cali and back... No problems...roll the dice and live. Too many grandmas crying over spilled milk.. If the son-of a gun breaks, fix it or sell it...life is short and full of surprises...

Having one foot in the boxer camp, I have to say that those sound like similar issues to what an r1100, r1150 or r1200 owner might run into. Add spline failures, stick coil failures, quick disconnect failures ABS problems, etc. etc. No CDs skipping or trunk latch failures, but you get the idea.

As I noted, some are common BMW issues. The LT motor should have no problem going for a very long time, i have seen plenty with well over 100k miles. If you do repairs yourself then its a better bike but having a dealer maintain or repair this beast and you will be in for sticker shock.

Fair enough. I guess that most LT owners are not likely to be DIY folks. As for sticker shock, I read somewhere that a first service on a new Goldwing is $800, so I guess it goes with that market segment.

Fair enough. I guess that most LT owners are not likely to be DIY folks. As for sticker shock, I read somewhere that a first service on a new Goldwing is $800, so I guess it goes with that market segment.

My LT's 12k service was more than that.

Again, and you can search for the review, the only head to head comparison betwee the bikes, as I mentioned above, included ALL costs related to putting 75,000 miles on the bikes.

Maintenance (scheduled), repairs, replacing wear and tear items, gas, inital purchase price and resale.

LT #1

GW #2

Both bikes will do the luxury touring gig in a grand fashion.

Both can be serious maintenance dogs at certain intervals.

Fit on the bike, comfort on the bike, and how it feels under you may be as important as anything when comparing these two.

Like a shaft drive bike that has a final drive go when out of warranty and it costs the owner $$$, if you comapre chains/sprockets etc over a long time period with big miles, the costs can be similar.

Like Calvin said, try 'em and go for a ride.

Best wishes.

All good points, Tim. I did read one review that put the LT ahead for being lighter, more nimble and more sporty (as compared to the GW 1500 ten years ago).

There is a lot to be said for buying a model that has been in production for 10 years - they should have ironed out most of the bugs by year 7. On the other hand, BMW does seem to move rather slowly on some design issues.

The 1200RT boxer suffered from early final drive issues. That didn't seem to hurt their sales or resale values any.

So the picture I'm getting is that used LTs may actually be good value for those that are willing to do their own maintenance.

Was it the slave unit that caused early clutch failures?

My first BMW was a 1999 LT I bought used with about 16,000 miles on it. It was my seventh bike overall, and the first one that I really did my own routine maintenance. Pulling the tupperware is no worse than on an RT. Did have the final drive failure at around 37,000 miles but I wouldn't hesitate to own another one. Sold it with 50,000+ miles, checked the valves regularly and never needed to adjust them. I've been doing the maintenance on a friend's LT that has well over 70,000 miles on it with no issues at all.

Since they quit building LTs in 2008, what is BMW's policy on parts availability? I know Honda's is 10 years after model discontinuation.

Spoke with the seller. His friend somehow managed to burn the clutch up in an afternoon of two-up riding in Seattle traffic. Are clutches a problem area for LTs?

Spoke with the seller. His friend somehow managed to burn the clutch up in an afternoon of two-up riding in Seattle traffic. Are clutches a problem area for LTs?

Its a dry clutch on a really heavy bike, it wouldnt take much. Just going up the driveway you could smell my bikes clutch. Using a BMW clutch is an artform IMO and I have blown a few up myself. They cant handle alot of abuse. If you try launching like a wet clutch, it wont see many miles. The best thing to do is let the clutch out easy with a easy launch. Once the bike is moving with the clutch fully engaged then you can hammer the throttle.

His "friend" is a ham fisted turkey.

Just my .03 .

Rich06FJR1300

i rode my buddy's 2006 LT on the blue ridge this past september. i was fearful of the weight so i was trying to be cautious. then i saw them pull into this scenic lookout while riding on there and i missed the turn, i didn't even want to attempt a u-turn on this beast so i just pulled to the side of the road and waited for them LOL. Weird though, compared to the FJR, you feel like your sitting in a lounge chair.

Re: slave cylinder...i think there is a fix for this (at least for the leaking onto the clutch part, whereas you can drill a small hole where the slave cylinder is and it diverts the oil so it will save your friction disc and subsequently lets you know of impending doom when you see a puddle of fluid on the garage floor).

Hmmmm....I put over 50k on my Lt. After the 36k warranty service crap I never checked the valves. I change oil and all other maintenance stuff but no valve checks etc.

The bike performed flawlessly. Period. The groups that I rode with were amazed the way I treated that thing...Redlined 90% of the time on rides with sport bikes, dragging crap in the curves and riding it like I stole it. The ONLY issue I had was the w/s screws were stripped from all of the tension I placed on it from speed.

The holes were tapped and new screws in and off I went. I sold it for a decent price to a gent that rode it like it was a caddy on a Sunday drive. Far as I know it is going strong.....Don't believe everything you read on the net. ONE story doesn't make it so......

I would trade my all my BMW's since for the LT.....My 2 Rs's, My GT's both of them, My RT, GSA, and 800 GS for the LT. It was a great machine...go for it.

The seller told me that he has offered to store the bike over the winter for the owner, but the owner feels that he has imposed enough on his friend and just wants to see the bike gone. I was told that he will except "any reasonable offer". So it's tempting. I should also mention that the seller also owns an LT. He and his friend both bought a used one in Cali and imported them into Canada. The seller loves his.

Archived