IGNORED

Dances With Cows

Joe Frickin' Friday

Mitch, This is a first rate ride tale. Thank you very much for sharing. :thumbsup:

If this place is still there it's worth a stop. National Motorcycle Museum

I can vouch for the Sparta-Elroy bike trail. I did 35 miles of it one fine morning. It was the most memorable ride of my life, thus far.

Are there enough of those nice roads for an UN?

It's not out of the question. I think the entire area of SW Wisconsin (everything circled in blue on the map below) is pretty much like what I was describing: valleys, bluffs, and tons of scenic, twisty roads with good pavement. Do like I did - stay off the main highways, stick to the lettered county roads - and you're just about guaranteed a good time.

I'll have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. The area isn't as spectacular--as in Rocky Mountain Spectacular--as some, but I'd rank it among the very best riding areas in the U.S. Really, the roads are stunningly good. There are quite a few camping and hotel options, and an abundance of worthy sites to visit within a pretty reasonable radius. If anyone is interested in hosting/organizing in the future, I'd urge you to contact Les.

It's not out of the question. I think the entire area of SW Wisconsin (everything circled in blue on the map below) is pretty much like what I was describing: valleys, bluffs, and tons of scenic, twisty roads with good pavement. Do like I did - stay off the main highways, stick to the lettered county roads - and you're just about guaranteed a good time.

I'll have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind. The area isn't as spectacular--as in Rocky Mountain Spectacular--as some, but I'd rank it among the very best riding areas in the U.S. Really, the roads are stunningly good. There are quite a few camping and hotel options, and an abundance of worthy sites to visit within a pretty reasonable radius. If anyone is interested in hosting/organizing in the future, I'd urge you to contact Les.

Thanks Mike. I just sent Les a PM telling her that you are ready to take on the task. :wave:

I second Mike's nomination. :lurk:

I'd love to ride that area again. Lot's of fond early riding memories. The Big Muddy. Sweet little towns. :)

Do we do thirds? I'll be IN if it happens! Sounds absolutely perfect.

First off, that was fantastic ride tale. Mitch, you always fill your tales with lots of details as well as throwing some historical or background information in there. Excellent!

I ride this area quite a bit for weekend trips because it's all I've got for my surrogate backyard! A while ago I tried to gather some interest in perhaps planning a rider's weekend getaway in this area:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39750&Number=432123

And there were a few nibbles but the dates polled weren't in agreement and after talking with the motel owner I conceded there wasn't enough interest to block rooms so the dream died.

It is a fantastic area and Mitch's ride tale illustrated this well. The beauty of it is that it's only the tip of the iceberg and there are literally hundreds of little twisty roads all over this area.

Outstanding Mitch :thumbsup: - Your effort is a Ride Tale model of information, inspiration and entertainment.

I had a little trouble viewing the footnotes and bibliography. Mitch has now set the bar so high that I'm going to have to enclude a diorama for extra credit in my next ride tale.

---

Archived