IGNORED

Wyoming and South Dakota

Albert

OK, about 4 weeks until we leave on this year's western jaunt (yes I'm psyched). While I've got the major things covered (Yellowstone, Beartooth Hwy, Devils Tower, etc.). If anyone has any suggestions on "must see" attractions in the area please let me know. Here's where we'll be staying over: TIA :thumbsup:

Custer, SD

Buffalo, WY

Red Lodge, MT

West Yellowstone, MT

Jackson, WY

Cody, WY

Rapid City, SD

I have wanted to go to one of these night time events since the first time I visited Crazyhorse.

I am gonna try to talk Mrs Whip into going north.

Maybe we can meet there???

L

Good luck with the ride, Albert. It looked like you were heading to many of the same places I chose. I was a little disappointed in the Badlands, seeing them after all the other stuff, but considering it is in the mid 90s and humid here today, I think it sounds preferable 8). I did no off road in that area and that very well could make a difference.

Spearfish was nicely located for riding the area (as opposed to Rapid City). I motelled it there. There is a BIG Honda shop along 90 and I got a rec for a day ride in the area that was pretty cool, pictured in the report. And there is a car wash to wash some of the accumulated crud.

There is a state park just at the beginning of Needles highway, forget the name now, that is pretty good too, and has camping. Custer State park, maybe?

Joe Frickin' Friday

I recommend a visit to Roadside America, where you can track down obscure and interesting things to see along your entire route. Type a city/state into their search engine, and you will be handed a list of bizarre crap within a day's journey of the specified location. Some of the stuff is cheezy, but some of the stuff is pretty cool, too; you just gotta sift through the results and pick out the stuff you like.

John,

We're spending a couple of nights in Custer which is just a couple of miles from the Needles Highway. Also, I've got US14 as part of my route heading west. Thanks again.

Formerly_Capecodbeemer

I regret driving by Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming Web Site lots to see, and if into firearms an easy all day attraction. On my list for the next western trip.

We were in South Dakota in June, and highlights for us were Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road (goes north from Custer State Park to Rushmore), Spearfish Canyon, Custer State Park, Wind Cave National park...the latter two are south near Hot Springs, SD. We stayed in Hot Springs and it was a great location for access - 15 minutes to Custer and Wind Cave parks. Those two were amazing for access to wildlife...tons of buffalo roaming along the road!

Custer and Hill City would be good locations for roaming the area. You will really enjoy the Black Hills...the whole area was fabulous!

Archived