IGNORED

R80RT missing off idle

johnlt

My recently aquired 85 R80RT seems to miss on one cylinder just off of idle then cuts in at about 3K. Idle is fine aznd 3k and up are fine but runs on one cylinder between idle and 3K. Put in new plugs and no improvement. Tried it with the choke on and it was a significant improvement which leads me to the Bing carb. Poped the top off to look at the diaphram and all looked good. This bike had been in storage for a year or two. Any ideas?

I would check the jets in the carb. Just a small piece of trash in the transistion jet can cause a similar problem to yours. I would remove all of the jets and clean them completly and replace the o-rings. One other common problem on the bings is an air leak around the choke bodies. The gasket on the choke body sometimes goes bad. If you remove the chokes make sure that you put them back on correctly, with the small dimple on the choke handle pointed toward the port on the choke cover.

Thanks Jim, I'll take a look. As I mentioned, this bike had been in storage for a couple years. I probably should do a complet carb kit on them.

That did the trick Dave. I cleaned the main, the needle and the idle jet plus cleaned the "slide" that holds the needle and put it all back together and wa-la, it solved the problem. Thanks

Archived