IGNORED

2011 Unrally rumor!!!

philbytx

A little birdie told me that we may be going waaaaay Upmarket next year. Rumor is that one of the UnOrganizers has an "in" at Biltmore :Cool: and that Biltmore will now allow camping in the grounds and GSer's will be welcome to offroad.....!!!!

Firefight911

And they're gonna fill the pool in the basement and allow us in for a post ride dip daily!

Ooh, and the grand dining room will be pressed in to service once more.

Biltmore = North Carolina = east of the Rockies = hot and sticky.

Let me be the first to say OUT!

Did anyone mention August yet?

I am very much going to need convincing myself.

But I have to get there and back, probably take longer than the time I would be there. Asheville is currently 83F with 65% humidity - right on the edge of voluntarily unbearable. The UN in West Virginia was utterly miserable.

Hmm, Cody, WY: 77F and 36%, that's more like it.

Paul Mihalka

I guess you and I have different definitions of "miserable". 10 days ago 108 on the Klamath River Scenic Highway was close to, but not quite, miserable for me - and it was not dry heat. :grin:

I think it's pretty miserable in Torrey right now, 93F and 20%.

Anyway - please let's get back to the rumours.

The UN in WV was during an unseasonably hot September. It was 10 to 20 degrees hotter than usual. That can happen most places in the US.

And riding crosscountry during July and/or August is almost always hot most places. Aside from holding the UNs in May/June or Sept/Oct, I don't see how to avoid that. Then one has to worry about snow at altitude!

What's a ride planner to do?

There's probably nothing to be done, I simply said I was out. Personally I would prefer that we had all the Un's either at Gunnison or even better Cody, yes the eastern contingent would have to cross the plains but at least they would be pretty sure of pleasant weather when they arrived.
skinny_tom (aka boney)
There's probably nothing to be done, I simply said I was out. Personally I would prefer that we had all the Un's either at Gunnison or even better Cody, yes the eastern contingent would have to cross the plains but at least they would be pretty sure of pleasant weather when they arrived.

Let me first say that this is a proposal, and definitely not a volunteer to run it thing, but I'm sure there's a large enough motorhome and cargo trailer to haul all of us wimps and our bikes to the Un all "party bus" like.

Just a thought.

If I'm going, I'll probably fly in with Gabby.

Tom, if you do come plan on a night or 2 in atlanta if possible. If you fly east there is no way to avoid atlanta. I may even have a spare bike for you to ride.

I'm in Lake Lure area just south of Asheville and the temperature difference is noticeable. Rafted the French Broad 2 weeks ago and it was wonderful. Mountain Biked Bent Creek in Asheville just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and it was very bearable. Much cooler at the higher elevation in Asheville and the things to do in Asheville including great restaurants is a winner.

I'm in for this one.

Bruce

P.S. Having lived in Utah for 25 years, the idea of going to Cody is a non-starter unless I wanted to get a new hair part and wanted to practice 45 degree motorcycle riding in the wind.

I heard a rumo(u)r that Killer doesn't really ride much anywhere anymore, since it's usually not perfect weather most anywhere near to (or far from) his house most of the year . . . . :dopeslap:

:lurk:

I heard a rumo(u)r that Killer doesn't really ride much anywhere anymore, since it's usually not perfect weather most anywhere near to (or far from) his house most of the year . . . .
I don't need to ride much any more because I'm already where I want to go. Nevertheless, 8 day trip to Colorado on the RT coming up...

Damn Killer......you're really starting to sound like like a grumpy old fart. I would be honored to be graced with your presence here on our nasty, sticky, humid East coast. After all, how can you appreciate what you have if you don't suck it up and suffer from time to time. We're worth it :grin:

Its not much consolation, but if ya show up, I'll buy ya beer........:lurk:

Damn Killer......you're really starting to sound like like a grumpy old fart.

[snip]

Grumpy old fart? More like an Arrogant old Bastard! :rofl:

Better make sure the beer measures up . . . he's pretty damn finicky about that, too! :wave:

53374515_Git9D-L.jpg

He's been here, we met at Daytona years ago for a Boxer Cup race.

He won the Monkey Butt powder prize I gave out at Mrio's during dinner.

Don't know if it helped him or not.

I agree, it porbably wiil be hot.

It moist (sic) likely will be humid.

So, forewarned makes it ez to prepare with the right gear and hydration.

Excellent roads to be found.

A personal call that each will make.

It was a long trip to this UN, for us.

But 100% happy we did it.

Hope the Left Coasters can make it.

By riding, trailering, flying and borrowing or renting.

Best wishes.

He's been here, we met at Daytona years ago for a Boxer Cup race.

He won the Monkey Butt powder prize I gave out at Mrio's during dinner.

Don't know if it helped him or not.

I still have the Monkey Butt powder container in my bathroom! It didn't help much but my real problem on that trip was the evil Day Long seat - worst thing I ever bought for a motorcycle (and I've bought a lot of junk).

I don't see myself venturing east of the Rockies in the summer ever again if I can avoid it, and I'm definitely a grumpy old man! I often say to Janet that I don't care if I ever leave the county again, maybe I'll include the neighbouring counties to be safe. And to prove it I'll head to Colorado tomorrow.

Day Long's hit me in the wrong spot too.

If I get that warrant quashed, will you reconsider?

:grin:

Would be nice to see you, but if not, maybe we'll just have to head west and drop in.

:wave:

[snip]

Better make sure the beer measures up . . . he's pretty damn finicky about that, too! :wave:

53374515_Git9D-L.jpg

So you say he's getting older ... he's arrogant ... and finicky. Oh! Surprise me there! :/ He's a Brit, for goodness sakes! ;)

Hi, Bob! :wave:

Also count me as finicky!

I would prolly be retching over THAT beer :rofl:

Can we say "Fullers 1845" anyone???? ;)

Yeah! I'm a Brit too LOL!

That's strange.

By your accent I would've thought eastern Arkansas.

;)

Are you making comparisons of dental plans between AR and the UK?

:rofl::wave:

That's strange.

By your accent I would've thought eastern Arkansas.

;)

Are you making comparisons of dental plans between AR and the UK?

:rofl::wave:

I don't think the UK has "dental" plans. The Brits love their candy!

Paul Mihalka
Was there an official announcement yet? I need to plan.

Where?

When?

Who?

Hey, it's still July 2010. If I can be patient (it's tough) so can you :)

Les is more

"Have no fear, have no fear," said the cat. "There'll be an announcement and I'll see to that! The next UN is coming and not in aught seven, the UN will take place in two thousand eleven. Why August, I think, is the month that they chose so start making your plans and stay on your toes. Official announcements are all well and good. I can tell you that North Carolina's the 'hood. For more, though it may make your faces go red, you'll wait until this UN has been tucked in its bed. When all have returned and the tales all posted, the new UN will then become feted and toasted. so be patient my dears and shed no more tears the news of next year shall soon hit your ears."

For folks who like beer and if Asheville is chosen, this city has the distinction of being one of the top microbrewery areas in the country. You'll have your choice of some really good beer that meets the requirements of finicky drinkers, I'm sure.

Bruce

For folks who like beer and if Asheville is chosen, this city has the distinction of being one of the top microbrewery areas in the country. You'll have your choice of some really good beer that meets the requirements of finicky drinkers, I'm sure.

Bruce

Not that I needed any more incentive, but that's a good start!!!

Was there an official announcement yet? I need to plan.

Where?

When?

Who?

Hey, it's still July 2010. If I can be a patient (it's tough) so can you be patient. :)

I guess I need to start uploading pictures from this year.

:dopeslap:

A little birdie told me that we may be going waaaaay Upmarket next year. Rumor is that one of the UnOrganizers has an "in" at Biltmore :Cool: and that Biltmore will now allow camping in the grounds and GSer's will be welcome to offroad.....!!!!

Oh the tangled webs we weave :lurk:

Lone_RT_rider

[snip]

Oaked_Arrogant_Bastard_Ale.jpg

Bill_Walker
The UN in West Virginia was utterly miserable.

Funny, but I don't recall the WV UN being bad at all. But I did skip that whole "middle of the country" part. TN to WV and back was great. OTOH, I remember several crossings from SoCal to Torrey with a decided lack of fondness. 100F+ sucks, regardless of the humidity level.

CoarsegoldKid
OTOH, I remember several crossings from SoCal to Torrey with a decided lack of fondness. 100F+ sucks, ...

Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

"Have no fear, have no fear," said the cat. "There'll be an announcement and I'll see to that! The next UN is coming and not in aught seven, the UN will take place in two thousand eleven. Why August, I think, is the month that they chose so start making your plans and stay on your toes. Official announcements are all well and good. I can tell you that North Carolina's the 'hood. For more, though it may make your faces go red, you'll wait until this UN has been tucked in its bed. When all have returned and the tales all posted, the new UN will then become feted and toasted. so be patient my dears and shed no more tears the news of next year shall soon hit your ears."

Very nice! ;)

Archived