IGNORED

The Official Un-Check-In Thread

Firefight911

Wow! I forgot to check in until now and did I miss a lot: broken thumbs, busted forks and ruined final drives. I am glad everyone is home safe, albeit some with more adventure than others.

UN 2010 was another great event: folks, food, rides and new friends. I fell back to San Fran for a few days after UN before flying back to Boston. Great city but I missed the riding. The people at Dubbelju had fun scraping the bugs off my rented GS but nary a scratch. I left the Un-routes in their rented Zumo 550; the next renter will have some awesome options :thumbsup:)

See y'all in North Carolina next year, God willing and the creek don't rise!

Thanks to all the UN-staff for a job well done!

Home at Last!

Well from the Un up to the MOA at Redmond and then on to TOR at Paonia, and finally -- HOME!!!

After the episode with my eye at Topaz-- it was not a fun trip up to Redmond, but after some days of rest in Oregon, the trip down to Colorado wasn't too bad, and the trip from Paonia back home was just fine and the eye is pretty much back to normal.

Many thanks to KTM Doug and his wife for the taxi service to the doctors and to all who checked up on me-- I had all kinds of folks ask about the eye-- word spreads fast in this group!!

Till next time--

Al Schibi

Al.

Glad to hear that your eye has gotten better!

Thanks for the fantastic ear plugs!

They worked great for Kristina and I, at least untill the accident!

My ear plugs stayed pluged into the GPS and the tubes ripped right out of earplugs! Of course the ear plugs stayed in my ears.

When I checked them out later they still worked, but I will have to replace the plug on the cord.

Hope to see you again!

Andy.

Andy,

I was so relieved to hear you guys came out of the accident OK.

I was offline till I got home so was unaware of the situation--glad you enjoyed the earplugs and will be in touch about possible repair--

Al Schibi

Hi Al, hope all continues well.

FWIW... seems the morning I left Topaz I had some irritation in my eye. 5 days later it was unbearable... went to the doc and he said it was something in the eye that caused the irritation (and the infection). I'm a week into allergy drops for both eyes and antibiotic drops and oral med for the infection...

that topaz air... bad mojo!

Home at Last!

Glad you made it home. You were not looking to good when I saw you checking in at the MOA.

Thanks for the ear buds, they work great! I did learn one lesson. One guy suggested using lip balm as a lube since most of us carry/use it anyway. Well, the sound quality really sucked one day so I checked the tubes, yup, full of lip balm :grin:

With all that crap flying around from the trees it's a wonder EVERYONE didn't have eye problems.

But it WAS a good UN, wasn't it?

MB>

Arrived at the Un on Thursday morning 12:30am. Nice to see four friendly faces around the picnic table at that late hour.

5 hrs later followed Al to Redmond--he had touble staying in his lane. Couple of close calls.

Home from Redmond via Top of the Rockies rally late Sunday. Nice riding with you AL.

See you all at Fall Torrey, maybe bring my better half.

Still on the road, spending a relaxing day in Ouray with Katherine after a gorgeous ride yesterday from Torrey. Should be home on Tuesday.

Late check-in. I figured I already checked in when I was at the UN so this was something I kinda skipped until I realized… ooops!

So sorry to hear of the mishaps. Glad everyone is ok.

This was our first UN and it was most memorable & enjoyable. Thank you to all who made this event such a great success and us, welcomed.

We left Topaz on Thursday morning headed for Cedar City/Bryce Canyon via the southern route. We rode with Steve & Jen and split up at Cedar City where we forged on to stay the night at Bryce Canyon. The following morning, I had an hour at Sunrise Point. Simply stunning.

We then headed for Torrey and through Durango and home. This is the most fun I have had in a long time. Wonderful roads coupled with great people - most excellent!

How did we know we are in Oklahoma? Well it was straight and no longer just hot but plenty HUMID!

Got home Saturday @ 2115. Got up early Sunday and did chores. Karen left for Venezuela first thing Monday morning.

CHEERS!

noel

Quick update - Bike back from the shop - $800.00 seals, tire and foot peg - I have got to get an Edmonton / Calgary Tech Day organized..........this seems a little crazy having to spend $109.00hr for someone to work on my bike - I took it in without any tupperware and did not get any credit..........Sheez!

Hopefully off to Bear Tooth pass this weekend and more training on corners........this time I will be less ageressive..

Again, love to all organizers of the UN look forward to seeing every one again and reading the hilarious posts of the group over the winter.

Tony

Tony,

Glad to hear the problems were small. All things considered, not such a bad bill to pay. Enjoy Beartooth.

Bob

I have got to get an Edmonton / Calgary Tech Day organized........

Tony

Glad to see you and the bike are ready to go again!

Your comment about a Edmonton/Calgary Tech Day got me thinking. It might be to long a ride from DC for a tech day, however, we now have so many Canadan board members perhaps we should hold an UnRally or other BMWST event someplace in Canada. I would certainly try to attend! :thumbsup:

Glad to see you and the bike are ready to go again!

Your comment about a Edmonton/Calgary Tech Day got me thinking. It might be to long a ride from DC for a tech day, however, we now have so many Canadan board members perhaps we should hold an UnRally or other BMWST event someplace in Canada. I would certainly try to attend! :thumbsup:

I guess we just need a volunteer to be the point person? I will chat with the local club and see if there are enough of us crazy canucks to offer our services.....perhaps in the Kootenay valley??

Great Idea - thanks all for the comments.

Paul Mihalka

Well, I didn't make it back from the UN, because I didn't get there :mad: . What did make it back is a wonderful t-shirt signed by all of you with your good wishes. THANK YOU! It is touching... and it will be a reminder to be more careful because I don't want another one like it... :)

Before you ask, the foot is doing OK, thank you. No pain, walking mostly without the cane, won't get much better until I can get rid of the rigid sole sneaker I have to wear. Once it's gone, walk and ride. Right now I feel that without it I could ride tomorrow - yeah, but I'm not that stupid...

I know where there's a Voyager conversion unit.

Hook it up for now, ride, remove when healed.

Hope you're on the road again soon.

Paul Mihalka
I know where there's a Voyager conversion unit.

Hook it up for now, ride, remove when healed.

Hope you're on the road again soon.

Nope. If it doesn't lean, it's not a motorcycle (IMHO) - sorry, sidecar and trike people... :)

Well, after four weeks and a day, and 12,209 km, we pulled into the garage at about 3:00 this afternoon. Ironically, the only time on the entire trip that we stopped to don rain gear was about 30 minutes from our door. Couldn't beat the weather, the striking scenery, the meals (many of them, at least), the UnRally (thanks again Dave and Michael) and the people. I love many things about being on the road on the bike, especially with my wife with me, but I will not miss the one-ply TP.

Glad you had a great trip, Mark. It was good to see you again and to meet the lovely Kathryn.

Peter and Jane

I love many things about being on the road on the bike, especially with my wife with me ....

You are indeed a lucky man!

Look forward to seeing you both again. I am hopeful that one of our Canadian friends will sponsor a Canadian BMWSporttouring event! :thumbsup:

Made it home after 4650 fantastic miles. Only one day of sprinkles on the whole trip. Will post a ride report when I get caught up.

Janet and I had a great time seeing everyone at the Unrally and along the way! :wave:

Well after a seized shaft, bad final drive, two slave cylinders, still leaking slave, fuel strip, two headlight bulbs, and visiting 7 dealerships sadly we are home. Even with all that it was a fun trip when the bike was working, and would have been fantastic if we did not have to worry about it all the time. We had unheard of luck with the weather, after FORTY days we finally had to put on the rain suits in Hells Canyon, for a hard 4 hour storm. That was all the rain we had. It was good to see all the familiar faces and meet new ones. We are already planing for next year, maybe on different bikes, see you then.

We had unheard of luck with the weather, after FORTY days we finally had to put on the rain suits in Hells Canyon, for a hard 4 hour storm. That was all the rain we had....

... We are already planing for next year, maybe on different bikes, see you then.

Glad you are home, that you had great weather, and are ready to go again! :thumbsup:

Ken,

Did you purchase souvenir tee shirts from all those dealers. :rofl:

Sorry i just could not resist. Gald to hear you guys are home safe, and a little envious (forty days). Hells canyon great road.

IronButt Association ought to create a new tour:

BMW dealers of America.

Visit all dealers in the USA, having service work performed at each location. Complete within 40 days and 40 nights...

You would've had a heck of a start......

Glad you finally made it home....

Archived