IGNORED

The Official Un-Check-In Thread

Firefight911

Finally home. Great Un and a pretty good MOA. Super thanks to Dave, Michael and the team for an exceptional job, and for probably the brightest and BMW-bluest T-shirts of any Un ever!

Got back home after a 36 hour 1500mile run (should have got all documentation etc for IBA Bun Burner....ah well, next time) - almost all the way with Santa - we split at the border - he off to the countryside of Saskatoon and me up to the cold of Leduc (well 20 degrees seems cold after the hot - hot hot weather down in Topaz.)

I was the the guy who dropped / flipped / forced my bike off of the road at the Sonora summit. The awesome 1150RT looked after me all the way home and I have spent about 10 hours caressing it all back into shape

I have re-convinced my bike's front body frame to rest where it should, am going in for new fork seals and front tire tomorrow.

I was reviewing my RT to GS incident on google maps for the benefit of my wife (decided that I should fess up to crashing) and found a road relatively close to where I ran off the road called "Lucky Boy" and that is what I feel I am......one lucky boy. I am now going to name my bike "Lucky Boy"

I learned a lot from the incident, I regret putting MikeRC through the grief of watching me "off road" with the RT and when we returned to Topaz I was so thankful for all of your support, encouragement, empathy and most of all your ability to not make me feel a fool.

I really want to say thanks and well done to the organizers, as a first time attendee I was very impressed. A job well done.

I offer my support as a volunteer for any UnRally up here in our neck of the woods and look forward to seeing you all again at another UnRally.

Thanks for a great time,

Tony lake

Bullett and I are home. A bit toasty, but cooling nicely. BMW 2, Garmin 0.

That means the bikes ran flawlessly for, oh, maybe, around 3500 miles. We won't be asking the Zumo for a trip report... Bricked.

Great UN, Great Riding, Great Peeps, Great Site.

... and oh, those CA roads...

More later.

Laney and I got home about 1:00 pm on Friday.Where did ya'll go? It was real quiet around Topaz Lake yesterday afternoon.

I talked with Endobobdds this morning. Sierra BMW had the needed slave cylinder for his RS. They had him back on the road about 2:00 pm Thursday. He got to the MOA about 8:30 that night.

Dennis

Can't put into words how much I appreciated Laney and Dennis getting up early last Thursday to trailer my bike to Sierra BMW in time for me to be on their doorstep when they opened! Scott, the service manager, kindly put one of his mechanics immediately to work on the bike.

As Dennis stated, I moved along quickly to arrive at the MOA just before sunset. After putting up my tent, I collapsed into my sleeping bag and had the best night sleep I have had since leaving home 10 days earlier!

With clutch/shifting amazingly smooth, new Ohlin shocks front and rear put on at the MOA on Friday, and my new Arizona Al’s stereo ear phones I am one “happy camper”!

I arrived today in Arlington, WA (north of Seattle) at my brother-in-laws. As some of you know, I am leaving the bike here and I am flying back to DC this Wednesday to work for 7 weeks. I’ll return the end of August to pick up the bike and ride over to Spokane, WA to attend my nephews wedding and then I’ll take a northern route up over Lake Superior to get back to DC.

Thank you Mike and Dave – it was a fantastic UnRally long to be remembered! I love the BMWST family and look forward to riding with many of you again soon.

After leaving on Thursday, I made it to southern Illinois to attend a family reunion yesterday, and finally got home last night. Was too tired to post. Another great Unrally. Michael, Dave et al found a great venue and produced another truly memorable event.

Some pics of my ride to the Un:

http://tinyurl.com/279dula

Our first Un...and had a great time and very glad we made it :clap:!

The UnOrganizers did a fabulous job, we met some new faces and caught up with (and hugged!) some old friends. Thanks to all for making us feel welcome. To quote Vinnie Jones (from the movie Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) "It was emotional"!

On the final leg home now. Spent Saturday sailing with our friends on SF Bay (Bloody cold!!) and Deb and I are resting our weary bones in the warmth of a pool in Palm Springs (a balmy 115F!) for a day before the 2 day run back to Kerrville.

So far, 2900 miles on El Coche Frijol (and the trailer) and 1400 miles on Darth. And on the drive from Fairfield to PS, both Deb and I agreed that the RT's seats are more comfortable than the cage! And THEY have sheepskin covers on them :grin:

Already booked Torrey for May......and now waiting for info about next years Un with bated breath!!

Thanks again everyone for a great event and making us feel so much at home.

Got home late last night. After frying in CA/NV I decided to head for the coast Thursday morning. But of course I couldn't do anything direct so I decided to include a few more crooked roads getting there. Heading down CA 88 I diverted onto Shake Ridge Road. Crossed the Central Valley on 12 and 160. What a bizarre road - packed with traffic, central barrier and construction, but probably still better then going through Sacramento in the heat. North to CA 128 Winters to Rutherford, then onto Spring Mtn Rd/St Helena Rd. Up the coast to Gualala for the night.

What an absolute pleasure to spend a few hours on CA 1 early Friday morning with no other traffic. Well except that RX-8 that was trying to stay with me north of Westport until 101. Turned down at Harris Beach OR campground so headed to Grants Pass for the night instead.

Saturday I made a brief run around Crater Lake and Cascade Lakes Scenic byway before getting to Redmond. But as I was getting gas there I decided to skip the MOA and head home instead. 1250 miles in two days, included some great side trips (Palouse Scenic Byway, MT 37 from Libby to Eureka)and even some snow on the last push home.

Thanks to Dave, Michael, Tom, Joe, MB, Larry and everyone else involved.

Mike Cassidy

Beth and I got in around 10:30 Saturday night.

She left at 6 a.m. for Orlando.

:P

Spending that much time together in a small space was fun and I recommend it to all couples.

Particularly when you end up at the UN.

:Cool:

Truck ran great, trailer worked fantastic and we had a great time.

Thanks to the UNkrewe for organizing above and beyond, yet allowing each of us to experience the event with a spontaneously delightful freshness.

We enjoyed all of the time spent at Lake Topaz, all of the opportunities to talk, rescue broken down bikes, and the beautiful roads that lead to even more lovely locations.

The food was superb, the company better.

Pics will follow.

BTW, Richard, did you find your Boeing card holder?

I put it on your seat when we left.

We accidentally found it in the truck cab where it fell while you were "navigating".

:wave:

gOT iN Sunday @ 5:00 pm.

actually working just now - so, my lil' ride report will come in a few days.

Awesome job "UN" organizers - really a bang up job.!

Loved the location and the 3-card poker thang was a freekin' hoot.

BeniciaRT_GT
BTW, Richard, did you find your Boeing card holder?

Yes I did! I thought it was gone forever!!! Thanks!

Angel & Ben back home, we arrived this afternoon about 2pm

4,275 miles,

a butt-load of new friends :wave:

5 National Parks :thumbsup:

5.5 states (hey we were in AZ for a few miles) :P

1 performance award :/

not a bad way to spend eleven days...

thanks everybody.

Guess I shoulda posted earlier...

back Sunday AM.

After leaving Topaz, headed for MOA rally. My first and last. Too many people for me, 1 1/2 days were enough. Saw some BMWST'ers there though, support group if you will.

Left Sat AM from MOA for a marathon ride home through Oregon on twisty two-laners, with a stop in Cave Junction to see the man I bought my first BMW from...he's 84 years young. Then back on the bike home, or so I thought. An 0600 start,hot weather, coupled with inexcusable mistakes of not to stop and intake water forced a motel room 2 hours from my doorstep at 10pm.

They call it heat exhaustion. Ill and didn't sleep much, but dragged my butt out and finished what I started Sun morning.

Humbling when you reach a limit.

Good to see and make new friends.

Thanks to committee for an exceptional UnRally.

MB>

We are still on the road home!

Had to stop in Billings Mt to get a new set of tires.

Made it to Miles City Mt and stopped for the night.

Track Me

Still need to get home by Thursday so will have to get a move on!

Andy & Kristina.

Calvin  (no socks)

Back on the East Coast! Thanks to everyone that made the Un happen! See ya'll at the next Un!

Still on the road. In Salem, OR for the moment, but will be putting miles on the GS tomorrow as I head to the coast and start working my way back south.

The Zumo has decided to take it's own vacation, so will navigate the old fashion way.

Dwight

Well our rid eis DONE!

No we are not home, Our trip home was cut short as a nice old lady pulled out from a stop sign right in front of us!

Was travelling at 55 maybe got slowed dow to 40mph befor we hit her square in the drivers door.

Both Kristina and I wer thrown over the car I think. I landed on my hands and knees, and immediatly got up to find my daughter. She was thrown another 10 to 15ft farther than I was. She was completly unhurt, although her knees are a little sore.

I knew that my right hand was injured but not broken as I could still move it, just a little sore.

The RT on the other hand will be a write off! Front end is completly broken, the fork sluders are broken in two, the tubes bent and the ball joint shattered. There it was laying in the road leaking oil and gas. Every bag flew off the bike and landed in the road. They all stayed shut, but even the tank bag flew off.

Went to the local hospital in Marquette Mi by ambulance, Kristina is fine but I have a fractured thumb. We were very lucky as it should have been much worse!

We were both wearing our mesh riding pants and jacketts at the time and I can't see any damage to them either.

The rest of our journy will now be by car.

All things considered we still had a great time at the UN!

Andy & Kristina.

BeniciaRT_GT
Well our rid eis DONE!

So glad to hear Y'all are okay! Very sorry to hear about the dipshit driver ruining your trip though!

Hope Kristina isn't traumatized! I also hope you get to go on your other trip!!!

Again, glad to hear you're both okay!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Well our rid eis DONE!

No we are not home, Our trip home was cut short as a nice old lady pulled out from a stop sign right in front of us!

Was travelling at 55 maybe got slowed dow to 40mph befor we hit her square in the drivers door.

Both Kristina and I wer thrown over the car I think. I landed on my hands and knees, and immediatly got up to find my daughter. She was thrown another 10 to 15ft farther than I was. She was completly unhurt, although her knees are a little sore.

I knew that my right hand was injured but not broken as I could still move it, just a little sore.

The RT on the other hand will be a write off! Front end is completly broken, the fork sluders are broken in two, the tubes bent and the ball joint shattered. There it was laying in the road leaking oil and gas. Every bag flew off the bike and landed in the road. They all stayed shut, but even the tank bag flew off.

Went to the local hospital in Marquette Mi by ambulance, Kristina is fine but I have a fractured thumb. We were very lucky as it should have been much worse!

We were both wearing our mesh riding pants and jacketts at the time and I can't see any damage to them either.

The rest of our journy will now be by car.

Andy & Kristina.

Holy COW! I'm glad you two fared well considering the circumstances. Sorry to hear about the bike.

Well our rid eis DONE!

Was travelling at 55 maybe got slowed dow to 40mph befor we hit her square in the drivers door.................

Oh no!

I'm glad both of you are ok!

I enjoyed talking to both of you, as Al made us his little things, and at dinner. Heal up and stay safe.

Wow, glad you're both ok! Had to be an awful feeling knowing your daughter was sitting right behind you.

Pat

Andy and Kristina:

I'm so glad you two are physically OK. Saw you briefly at the Un supper, but didn't get a chance to talk. I think you had an aftermarket HID installed, right? Well you can't do too much more to make yourself conspicuous. I see from your SPOT page that it was on 28/41 in the UP somewhere close to 9:00am. Done that drive/ride a couple of times and I would certainly be more worried about deer then drivers. Since you were traveling west to east she can't claim that the sun was in her eyes either.

Hope everything turns out well with insurance, your thumb & your daughter.

Mike Cassidy

Well our rid eis DONE!

Holy-Cr@p! Very sorry to hear of the accident but so happy to hear that both you and Kristina were mostly unhurt. Bikes are replaceable.....

aNDY & kRISTINA : dang son - a lousy way to end a perfectly good road trip.

So sorry to hear of the outcome - but to think how bad it could of REALLY been..

I guess we all are counting our collecive blessings when we hear of stories like yours.

Glad the angels were with you and kept you somewhat upright.

Sorry also for the bike - that sux.

Hugs to all and all good things coming your way.!

Andy & Kristina,

Beth & I are very glad that both of you are OK.

We've enjoyed all the times together at the various events and know you are an excellent rider who keeps very aware of the situations that evolve around you.

This is bad, but not as horrible as it might have been.

We're keeping you all in our thoughts and send positive energy towards your healing and return to riding.

I know this isn't the ending you two had in mind, but after all the thousands of miles and positive experiences I'm sure that eventually this will just be a small part of the memories you created on this trip.

Best wishes to all of you.

You set an great example as a man, a father, and a memeber of the riding community, even in this time of chaos.

I'm proud to know you.

Andy and Kristina,

I'm glad you both came out of this OK.

I'm glad your trip had gone so well up to that point, and am thankful that you will be able to finish the trip, even if in a car.

News Report

Wow!... I was so proud of you and her at the UN. It was so cool to see you ride with your daughter, but now so sorry to hear of the accident.

I hope you both have a complete and easy recovery and that she does not lose her taste for riding.

Jeez Andy,

I am so very relieved to hear that you and your daughter are both well. Having just completed our unrally trip (riding 2 up with my 16yr old son). I can imagine the terror that you experienced. My hope is that we will all get to see you and your daughter at next years UN.

marty mayer

In 3:30 this am.

Really want to thank everyone that made the UN happen.

14 days on the road, 6,400 miles. Saw some spectacular sites.

Only 1 final drive bearing failure. 9:30 pm Monday night. Luckily it happened 40 miles west of Sturgis SD. Got out my anonymous book, Started calling for help. 4 calls later got ahold of a great guy named Jason,( sorry don't know his last name) Said he would be there in 20 minutes with his truck. He showed up we loaded the big pig in it and he took me and the bike to Sturgis BMW, 40 miles away. I was sitting at their door when they showed up the next morning. I was a little disappointed that they said they couldn't look at it until afternoon. But very grateful that they would look at at all. Told them I would be happy to buy the parts from them, but if they didn't have them in stock I have them with me(it's only a matter of when it's going to puke) As most BMW shops go they didn't have the parts, but said they would install mine. Seems that now days if you want a t shirt, crush washer, light bulb you have a pretty good chance of getting it. Not much else. They got on it after noon, and finished it before they closed. I left Sturgis yesterday AM. Rode straight home. 20.5 hours, 1400 miles I was home. A great trip! I just don't know if I want a bike that I have to carry major repair parts with me, and wonder when and where I will need them. Sure could of happened in a much worse spot. Pretty disappointed in BMW right now. In 10 years I have owned 2 BMW motorcycles, and have replaced 3 final drives. It might be time to jump ship.

Marty

Nice n Easy Rider
Well our rid eis DONE!

So glad to hear Y'all are okay! Very sorry to hear about the dipshit driver ruining your trip though!

Hope Kristina isn't traumatized! I also hope you get to go on your other trip!!!

Again, glad to hear you're both okay!

Andy, glad to hear that you and your daughter came out of this relatively unscathed (at least physically). I hope that your daughter doesn't lose her interest in riding.

Richard, while I share your frustration at such careless drivers I'm not sure that referring to this "nice old lady" as a dipshit driver is warranted. There is probably a fair chance that this woman is someone's mother and a reasonable chance that during her lifetime she might have contributed to the betterment of society through a productive career as a teacher or nurse or business woman or housewife or volunteer of some sort.

We certainly need to figure out a way to get older drivers off the road when their driving skills have diminished but in any case we should still accord them our respect. In most cases they've earned it. Just MO.

Man, I knew there had to be some way to get you to get new shocks... but this... :(

Glad you are both ok.

Keep on keeping on.

Crazy_Canuck

Holy cow! Andy I am so sorry to hear that had happened. I am glad you and your daughter are OK. That is so scary.

I hope she isnt too traumatized by this.

Have a safe trip home.

Andy and Kristina, so very glad that you are OK. As mentioned previously by many, your trip as a father & daughter was inspiring and encouraging for many of us, particularly those of us with kids that we are riding with. My daughter Jillian is away at camp and will contact Kristina when she gets back.

Continue to take care and we will keep you in our thoughts as you navigate the insurance, healing and "getting back on" logistics.

Tony

Les is more

Andy, I'm so sorry to hear that your ride ended so badly but I'm overjoyed to know that you're both basically okay. Please give Kristina a big hug for me. I still hope to see her on her own bike at the next UN.

Well our ride is DONE! ....

Andy & Kristina.

So sorry for your mishap! Wonderful that it was not worse - bikes are easily replaced.

Hope your daughter has the same great attitude you seem to have about the overall experience at this years UN and hope to see you both again soon.

Andy, I couldn't believe your post when I read it a few minutes ago. That's an awful experience at the best of times, but even more so with your daughter involved. Hope you are both feeling better soon and that it does not adversely affect your enthusiasm for riding. All the best.

BeniciaRT_GT
Richard, while I share your frustration at such careless drivers I'm not sure that referring to this "nice old lady" as a dipshit driver is warranted. There is probably a fair chance that this woman is someone's mother and a reasonable chance that during her lifetime she might have contributed to the betterment of society through a productive career as a teacher or nurse or business woman or housewife or volunteer of some sort.

George,

I didn't mention anything about age or character. I'm sure she is a wonderful neighbor/mommy/meemaw/etc. However, if someone, for whatever reason, pulls out in front of one of us, I stand by my comment. I really had no thoughts on her age at that point, or for that matter, even now... (BTW, if I pull out in front of someone, I am also in that category...)

Also, for those of you who might be trying to remember, here are the two travelers after the Un when they stopped by for a night before seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and wandering up the California coast:

936569873_HAHN6-L.jpg

After getting to spend a little alone time with Kristina, I have little doubt she will continue to pursue her desire to ride next year. Very resolute young lady. she reminds me a little of someone else I know...

FWIW,

I think Rich is being WAY to kind... "dipshit driver" would undoubtedly be the nicest thing that would spew out of my mouth while yelling (inside my helmet) at someone who simply pulls out in front of me.

I'm jussayin.

FWIW,

I think Rich is being WAY to kind... "dipshit driver" would undoubtedly be the nicest thing that would spew out of my mouth while yelling (inside my helmet) at someone who simply pulls out in front of me.

I'm jussayin.

Agreed.

Two time hit and run survivor here, plus numerous pulled out in front of me incidents and all the other garbage we deal with.

If it walks like a duck...

OK Glad to report that Kristina and I have arrived home safe!

My buddy that I was to ride to Trans Labrador Highway with this week took off work and picked us and the bike up. We had an easy ride in the van and got home at 1:00am this morning. The RT rode the whole way on it's left side in a U-Haul trailer!

We went to our doctor today Kristina is fine, just a brused right knee! I just can't believe it!

When I showed him the X-Rays of my hand from the hospital he had a slightly different opinion.

He said that my thumb is broken and may need some hardware in there to repair it.

So it's off to the fracture clinic to see a plastic surgen next week.

I was going to drive the van out to Newfoundland and meet my buddies but I guess that is off now also. Oh well.

The last time someone pulled out in front of me like this I was very angry and slammed my helmet down on his car and was ready to kill him as I cursed and swore at him! mind you I was only 17 at the time.

In this case I believe that she really didn't see us. She did say that the sun was in her eyes but the sun was in front of me so don't think that was the real reason.

When she got out of the car (took her a long time as she had to crawl out the other side) she was very shaken up, and thought that she may have killed someone. I gave her a big hug ( just like Richard did at the UN) and told her that it was alright and no one was seriously hurt. I was just glad that everyone including her was OK. She was bleading quite a bit from the cuts from the flying glass. She just hugged me back for what seemed like hours, all the while clutching a basket of Blueberries she had picked just befor the accident.

Kristina has just sort of shrugged it off, she does know that we were very lucky, but I don't think it will prevent her from riding in the future. I think she has learned a good lesson about ATGATT!

She is amazing!

Andy.

Just found this thread and wanted to say welcome home Andy. Glad both of you came out of this okay and that you has such a good time at the UN. You're a class act dad!

Home safe today 230pm, cut trip short by five days to justified purchase (in my mind) of rather expensive riding gear from Aero Stich. I bought there new Vented Leather TRANSIT suit. I tried in on and just had to have it? (in touch with my feminie side)sorry ladies. When I left Duluth it was 93 degrees. I began to think about the purchase just I made, black leather ? Im going to cook, some how the the suit performed as advertised it was not uncomfortable at all and seven hundred miles of on and off rain with a few thunder storms mixed in the same suit kept me dry. Did I just hijak this thread? sorry..

Mike, Dave great UN thank you.

Wow, Andy, it was so cool seeing you and your daughter at the Un, so sorry it ending on a bad note. It's great that you're both OK. Will see you at Un 2011.

Home after a great trip. Thanks to the UN organizers! Lots of miles, lots of smiles, and a cool slice of the country. Made it home with just a flat that I was able to fix on the road and drive to purchase a new one. Pictures to follow.

A few pics to share.

Ya gotta show some pics Ray....black vented leather? feminine side? way too much info Ray... Great to see you at the UN. glad your back home... does your family still recognize you?

Archived