IGNORED

Old Fart is on his way home

Cary

I Picked up Paul early this morning and delivered him to a wheelchair at Southwest Airlines in Oakland. He should be home tonight safe and sound.

An MOA member from Santa Rosa is taking care of his bike, and it will be shipped back home.

The verdict was broken long bones along the top of his foot. He will be back on the bike in a few weeks!

Best, and I hope everyone has fun at the Rally!

Cary

well there are no details so I am going to make it up

Paul was riding along the lOBO pass. He went hot into a decreasing radius right hand turn. As he leaned the bike over, and over and even more over, the top part of Paul's foot hit the payment, and broke that long top bone in his foot

:-)

The verdict was broken long bones along the top of his foot. He will be back on the bike in a few weeks!

Best, and I hope everyone has fun at the Rally!

Cary

Cary:

Thanks for the update. Fun is being had in great abundance! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Cary!

For the rest of the "details", I'm afraid it wasn't all that glamorous . . . . :dopeslap:

I guess the UnRally wasn't placed FAR enough from Paul's home to be enough of a challenge, so he had ridden from MD to Oregon and was on his way back to Topaz Lake Saturday. He stopped for dinner in Santa Rosa and put his foot down in some deep gravel in the parking lot and dropped the bike on his foot. He was going to continue the next day, but come Sunday morning the swelling was too great to get his foot in his boot, he had my number in his phone so he called me (we were in Lone Pine) as well as a member from the MOA Anonymous Book who along with Cary have been complete angels taking care of Paul. Thanks again, guys! :clap:

The xrays confirmed a badly broken foot and despite trying to talk Paul into catching a ride to at least say hi at the UnRally, he's in a lot of pain and just wants to go home. As Cary who has been down this road before said, it's very painful and he should stay off of it as much as possible. :(

As much as we'll miss seeing his smiling face, we understand and completely support his choice--health comes first. He says to say "HI!" to everyone and he's already counting the days to UnRally X (TBA). Look for him to be posting as soon as he gets home. :wave:

. . . and then there were four . . . . :Wink:

Oh drat, Paul broke his UN record streak! And I'm so sorry he's hurting. Grateful he's OK. Nice to see he was well taken care of by all. :thumbsup:

HUGS to you Paul. :wave:

Paul Mihalka

OK, I'm home! Right now I should be with you guys and gals having a beer in Topaz Lake. Darn!

The story, Saturday 7/10: Had my Rodeway Inn reserved in Rohnert Park CA, on rt. 101 about 7 miles South of Santa Rosa. As it was early pm I went out for a ride looking for dinner. Found a nice looking place near Sonoma. Had a great Spanish dinner. On the way out (I had only one glass of Sangría!) on the bike, pushing it back, my right foot slipped on ball bearing kind of gravel and over it went. Something, probably crash bar, hit my foot. Right away people helped pick up the bike. Looked at the bike, only damage a broken windshield because it hit the bumper of a parked car. My foot hurt a bit but not too much. On the way back to the hotel I stopped and bought a roll of duct tape to fix the windshield. At the hotel I felt my foot really swelling, had a hard time pulling of my boot. No boot, no riding. Forget the windshield.

So I called Jamie because I had his number, but I knew all of you around are getting busy with the Un. So I looked in my BMWMOA Anonymous book, and right there in Rohnert Park, a small place, was a listing from a member with about four lines of the things he can and is willing to do. I called. Right away a superb response. His name is Mike Tibbet. He came in the morning, took me to emergency. Took me to his home where we watched the last football game. At his home on the computer I bought my Southwest ticket to fly home on Monday. Back to my hotel, I took out my bag liner with my clothing, in it's place we packed all my riding gear. He rode my bike to his home, to ride it over to Santa Rosa BMW on Tuesday so I can arrange dealer to dealer freight to get the bike home. What a wonderful guy! In the meantime Cary Littell (founder of BMWRT/ST.com) got in touch. He picked me up this morning and drove me to Oakland airport. A lot of sad conversation about his business. Thank you, Cary! Flight home. A friend and over 10 years work partner, Drew Alexander, took me home from the airport so Maria did not have to do it. Well, I'm home, one week too early.

The foot: First thing, it's a bit swollen, but NO pain! I can walk putting weight only on the heel. X rays show fractured long bones no. 3,4,5 (thumb side is 1), with 4 and 5 seriously displaced. Will probably get some screws, but I really don't want to compete with Selden!

I MISS YOU GUYS!

Firstly, Glad to see you got home with the help of so many wonderful people! Terrible about the foot. Heal up and you will be right back to it! Just stay way from those damn gravel parking lots!

I am so sorry you did not get to the UN. I feel bad, you were so close to us in Benicia you could have stayed here with us and I would have made you dinner.... no need to go out looking for a gravel parking lot.

Glad it wasn't worst. Heal quickly....

:( I didn't get MY hug from you.

Nice n Easy Rider

Sorry to hear about your accident Paul but glad that it was a "non-moving" one. Heal quickly. We all want to see you at the BRR in September. :wave:

JerryMather

So sorry to hear this but glad your back home where you can rest and heal. It seems that more of my older friends have had problems like this with their feet lately.

Hope to see you out and about soon.

barryNmarin

Paul, glad you are safely home and are mending with minimal discomfort. Darn that gravel, it's the bane of riders for sure. Heal quickly and I hope to see you again at Fall Torrey.

I hate having to break out my dog trainer puns for situations like this, but

HEAL!

Sorry about your mishap and spoiled trip. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.

Paul Mihalka
Paul, so sorry to hear about this. Here's hoping you heal quickly!

And now there are only four "present at all Unrallies" members left :cry: .

Thank you all for the good wishes!

Aw Sweet Paul! I'm so sorry to hear this!

I hope you heal quickly and are back on the road in no time!

Take care...

Tina

Paul, First We're sorry about the mishap. But upside you met some very nice people. Secondly, what about storing your bike in one of our garages then flying out when you're healed and riding it back. Like maybe for Fall Torrey. Gar has a few days coming to him we could drive up and he could ride it back and park it in our garage or maybe someone closer has spare room. It's a thought anyway.

Heal fast and take care.

Sorry for your misfortune. Zero speed drops unfortunately are not always just embarrassing. I should know, I've had my fair share.

Take care, Paul.

Paul Mihalka
Paul, First We're sorry about the mishap. But upside you met some very nice people. Secondly, what about storing your bike in one of our garages then flying out when you're healed and riding it back. Like maybe for Fall Torrey. Gar has a few days coming to him we could drive up and he could ride it back and park it in our garage or maybe someone closer has spare room. It's a thought anyway.

Heal fast and take care.

Thank you so much for the offer, but I'd like my bike here, fixed whatever needs fixing, and ready to ride when I'm ready to ride.

Rats! I didn't notice this thread until today. Parking lot mishaps are so embarrassing. I hope your wife takes it easy on you. Heal quickly -- I hope we can meet up again at fall BRR.

Paul Mihalka

Just came back from the orthopedist. Excellent news. Don't have to do nothing! No surgery, no cast, nothing! Keep wearing the solid sole non-bending slipper they gave me in California, take it easy, it will heal, but can do anything I can!

That is wonderful news! You are still an inspiration for the rest of us.

Try wearing a riding boot on the other foot to balance the orthopedic slipper on your broken foot.

Nice n Easy Rider

Paul, you even break your bones with style. That's great news. Hope you're back riding soon. :clap:

Paul, there were 3 jr. old farts at the same table last night. We all wished you could have been with us!

Heal fast.

Just came back from the orthopedist. Excellent news. Don't have to do nothing! No surgery, no cast, nothing! Keep wearing the solid sole non-bending slipper they gave me in California, take it easy, it will heal, but can do anything I can!

Wonderful news Paul! :clap:

Heal quiclky & completely.

They don't make em like they used to. :thumbsup:

Get well very soon. I missed seeing you.

However, I look forward to some interesting conversation with you at the next West rally. Maybe Alaska or Canada would provide you enough milage.

Paul, I nearly had one of those the other day as well. Glad it's all working out and I'm sure it's gratifying to know so many are missing your presence at the UN, but feel you're there in spirit.

good healing.

Javulást kivánunk.

Sorry to hear of your mishap, Paul, but glad to hear it will heal on its own. We did miss you! Between your mishap, and my medical emergency, the "Hungarian contingent" had a 100% failure rate! :dopeslap:

Glad you are home and on the path to full recovery.

I was looking forward to visiting with you at the UN, but will have to do that at another event

God's Speed in recovery..

Paul, very sorry to hear of your mishap. I was so looking forward to meeting you and hearing some stories. Hopefully at another event? Heal fast!

Hawk

Paul, I just wanted to say something, but everyone seems to have hit on all the good stuff, So I'll just say I hope to see ya in torrey....

Dang it , I gotta say it anyways Heal Well, my friend

Dearest Paul,

Just saw this, hope the healing is quick and complete so that I'll see you and get my hug at the Fall BRR!

Shannon

Draftermike

Paul, first thing I did when I got to the Un was to look for you because you're one of the always-there fixtures. Really missed not getting to say hi and visit. See ya in the Carolinas next year.

Love and healing wishes sent to you, Paul. We truly did miss you at the Un. And for my part, if you crossed the longitude where the Un was, especially by several hundred miles, you made it and I think it should count. Surely we have THAT much love and understanding among us.

Now, unless I missed it up above, what an incredible man Cary Littell is. He just closed up Marin BMW, his passion over the past 10 years, and something into which he poured his life, love and every penny he had. He is now unemployed and yet he has the heart to give outwardly to all of us again, this time in helping a fallen brother.

Cary, I don't know where you're going to end up, but whatever it is, we will support it and you. We don't ever forget who founded this board, and who nurtured it through its early growing years. Once again, Cary, your true self shines through.

Nice n Easy Rider
Love and healing wishes sent to you, Paul. We truly did miss you at the Un. And for my part, if you crossed the longitude where the Un was, especially by several hundred miles, you made it and I think it should count. Surely we have THAT much love and understanding among us.

Now, unless I missed it up above, what an incredible man Cary Littell is. He just closed up Marin BMW, his passion over the past 10 years, and something into which he poured his life, love and every penny he had. He is now unemployed and yet he has the heart to give outwardly to all of us again, this time in helping a fallen brother.

Cary, I don't know where you're going to end up, but whatever it is, we will support it and you. We don't ever forget who founded this board, and who nurtured it through its early growing years. Once again, Cary, your true self shines through.

+1. I don't know Cary, having never met him. But he certainly appears to be the kind of person I'd like to be able to refer to as a friend. I hope I'll get to meet him some day (but not necessarily under the same circumstances as Paul). This board has time and time again shown itself to be a true family. Thanks for letting me be a part.

Yes, it had also occurred to me what a gesture this was on the part of Cary, to help out despite his own troubles. Truly, a mark of the man.

+1! Paul signed up, paid his $30 dollars, arrived early on the West coasts and was at Topaz Lake in "spirit"! I believe we still have 5 members that have been present at each UN.

Paul Mihalka

Bob, I'm glad your problems did not mess up your trip. Again, the bmwst brotherhood is always there when needed.

The Unrally? I dunno... In my mind "almost" is not good enough... but thanks for the considerations...

Archived