IGNORED

Yosemite ride options, need recommendation

johnlt

I'm considering 3 different possible loops through Yosemite.

They all start down 395 and take 120 over to Yosemite but have options for the return.

#1 out and back on 120 results in the shortest and scenery is usually a lot different when traveling in the oposite direction.

#2 take 49 north to 108 then back to 395

#3 take 49 north to 4 then back to 89 then over to 395

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Any of those routes would be fun. All are beautiful.

You will not go wrong flipping a coin to make your decision.

If planning on returning via SR108 (Sonora Pass), check out Wards Ferry Road which heads north off of SR120 just West of Groveland and terminates in Sonora. A great tight twisty little back road.

If planning on returning via SR108 (Sonora Pass), check out Wards Ferry Road which heads north off of SR120 just West of Groveland and terminates in Sonora. A great tight twisty little back road.

+1 :thumbsup:

This is a road which puts that big goofy grin on your face.

Dwight

I too have pondered over the last several weeks what yosemite route would i take. I am glad to hear that i really cant go wrong here!. a ride through yosemite is the only must do for me on this trip.

Wow, that looks great Michael, I just added it and helps me make the decision to do the 120_108 loop. Thanks

Firefight911

You have no idea what Yosemite has in store for you!!!!

This was last week.

Bridal Veil Falls

918774729_HSwbH-L.jpg

Yosemite Falls

918785108_LP82F-L.jpg

The "locals" off Hwy. 120

918794292_teMuV-L.jpg

Tenaya Lake

918697511_DmZeY-L.jpg

918704992_zzfZ7-L.jpg

Just you wait!!!!!

Dennis Andress

120 from 395 is a great ride. I remember 49 north to 108 as being kind of technical. Tight curves and hotter weather. 108 is probably more fun that 120.

It's been 25 years since I lived near Yosemite so this is a bit of a guess, but I'd say that route from Topaz Lake would take at least 7 hours. With extra time you could drop down into Yosemite Valley. It's slow going down there; 35 mph speed limit and lots of people. There are lots of places to stop and take in the views.

A 12-13 hour day would be enough to make a few good memories. But to do it right would take an overnight somewhere on the west side of Yosemite.

Firefight911
OK Phil, Susie want to know where you were when you took the Bridal Veil Falls shot?

See you soon!

In the previous shot, I was behind the camera, pushing the button. :)

918766128_4GfSP-M.jpg

Better? This time I was in front of the camera. :)

I came in to the park through Mariposa on 140. This is on the main road that runs through the valley floor which is 140.

CoarsegoldKid

It looks more like 41 just beyond junction of 41 and 140 near the falls parking lot. Also a spot for seeing Yosemite Falls across the valley. But you took the picture so I guess you are right.

Firefight911
It looks more like 41 just beyond junction of 41 and 140 near the falls parking lot. Also a spot for seeing Yosemite Falls across the valley. But you took the picture so I guess you are right.

Yea, yea, yea, you're right. I looked it up on MapWuest and figured it was 140. I guess it is a convergence of these tow roads. Either way, you can't miss it when you get there.

In the previous shot, I was behind the camera, pushing the button. :)

Now that there's funny! I often get myself in trouble at home with wise-@$$ comments like that.

storman113

There are no gas stations on the valley floor since the flood. On 120 to Tioga Pass from the valley a few miles up there is gas and at the end of the road Lee Vining is a gas station/restaurant

LT

My pref in direction:

West 120 from 395, then 120 (Groveland) TO:

East 108 from Sonora (49)

East 4 from Angels Camp (49)

East 88 from Jackson (49)

Of course, my fav is 4

http://www.scenic4.org/

C ya there.

MB>

I'd say 120 then 108 over Sonora Pass. Sonora Pass is our favorite!

I can still remember on one of my early trips, west to east, cooking it around a tight turn near the summit, .... and coming face-to-face with an Abrams tank from the USMC training base there! :eek:

Bill_Walker
There are no gas stations on the valley floor since the flood. On 120 to Tioga Pass from the valley a few miles up there is gas and at the end of the road Lee Vining is a gas station/restaurant

Be prepared to be shocked by the gas prices in Lee Vining. I think Bridgeport, the next town north on 395, is the only place in high-priced California with higher prices than Lee Vining.

Firefight911

Be prepared to be shocked by the gas prices in Lee Vining. I think Bridgeport, the next town north on 395, is the only place in high-priced California with higher prices than Lee Vining.

Or El Portal!!!

Two weeks ago -

918736333_UVpeX-M.jpg

918737580_UX27A-M.jpg

Any of those routes would be fun. All are beautiful.

You will not go wrong flipping a coin to make your decision.

Great idea!! You don't even have to go down to 49, which can be s-l-o-w with tourists in the summer. As mentioned elsewhere here, make sure you're OK with gas.

CoarsegoldKid

I prefer to take Wards Ferry Road out of Groveland because it seems safer to me. Part of time you are on the uphill side and part of the time you are on the down hill side. Maybe it's split 50/50 I don't know but I feel better taking it from Groveland. The issue with Wards is it is narrow, really only one lane, in much of it and it's cut on the sides of a steep ravine. Locals do use it often take up the entire road going around the blind curves.

Though not near Yosemite, I think Gorda (on the PCH) gets the prize. Routinely > $6/gal. Fill up in Monterey.

If you have to fill up at any of the aforementioned gas stops, you've done it wrong.

Decide your routes, and someone here will "fill" you in on where to stop to avoid high prices.

MB>

Archived