Sign in to follow this  
Firefight911

Routes, you say?!?! Yes, we have routes!!!!

Firefight911

You ask and we provide. The attached link will give all attendees some routes to start pulling to their GPS, laptops, etc.

We have made the set of routes that we have created available in both PDF format which will give turn by turn and a detail map and we have provided a Garmin GPS route set as well.

Here ya go - LINKY

As an added value bonus to all UN attendees, the UN committee will have a table set up each morning that will have maps, pencils, paper, and a laptop. We are here to help you along your quest for gold in them thar hills.

The table will have an UN committee member there each day to assist and help point you to some nice areas.

We must ask and encourage all attendees to make every effort possible to download these routes and PDFs either prior to your arrival, by way of the available wifi at the rally site, or any other means possible. It will be overwhelming to all to try and download routes at the table off of a single laptop. Also, only routes and waypoints can be downloaded at this time, no Garmin detail maps.

With that being said, do not forget to bring the appropriate cable for your GPS so you can share with each other and download routes throughout the week that become of interest to you. We will help in any way we can to get you set off in the direction you like.

Do not by any means think this is all that is available. There are roads upon corners, upon vistas, upon miles and miles of exploring to do. Our sole purpose was to get you started. Do not hesitate to veer off the provided areas and venture out to the many other fantastic roads and offerings available to you while out here! Find any committee member or fellow attendee for assistance!!!

philbytx

Great Phil - Thank y'all :thumbsup:

I just downloaded them all in PPS format :grin:

Just one question.

Are these "real" riding times or could we subtract a "fudge factor" for those riding at a slightly more brisk (but legal!) pace ;)?

Edited by philbytx

Firefight911

You can always do them quicker than advertised.....errr, well, uhhhh, so I've been told!

marcopolo

Great stuff. Thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work.

sebjones906

Thanks for the Garmin download.

hopz

That is good stuff...

Will there be a Yosemite Route(s) or is that not recommended, or?

Bill_Walker
As an added value bonus to all UN attendees, the UN committee will have a table set up each morning that will have maps, pencils, paper, and a laptop. We are here to help you along your quest for gold in them thar hills.

The table will have an UN committee member there each day to assist and help point you to some nice areas.

Man, that's starting to look suspiciously un-UNorganized! :grin:

Nice work, you guys!

CoarsegoldKid

Yeah there will be Yosemite routes. See me at UN if they don't appear on the site as google maps as I know the area very well. Yosemite isn't that far away from UN and beautiful routes are no secret. There are three highways at enter Yosemite, 120 from east or west, 140 which follows the Merced River I'll call that southwest entrance, and 41 which enters from the south. All those roads go into the foothills of the west slope and offer great riding. Doing so will take you a fair distance from UN. Take a few more days while out here and ride them.

Endobobdds

Thank you, thank you! :clap:

I hope to have the routes loaded before I depart this Friday! :thumbsup:

Bullett

Thanks, y'all!

drswift

Here are the Google Maps for the main UnRally Garmin Routes. These should be up on the UnRally website soon. Enjoy!

Seven Passes

Bodie Ghost Town

Benton - Wellington, NV

Ebbetts-Columbia-Sonora Pass

Wentworth Springs-Georgetown-Placerville

Mammoth -June Lake Loops

Sierra City - Tahoe Loop

Tahoe Loop

Virgina City - Tahoe East

Virgina City - Tahoe West

There is a slight variation on the 7 Passes Map due to my inability to exactly match some of the smaller roads outside of Twin Bridges to Carson Pass.

Edited by drswift

blaisew

Just call me a Garmin Newbi (rhymes with Nuvi), but after a bit of work I completed my very first Routes download. Now, I hope someone at the un-rally can show me how to access them! I know they are in there, but as of yet I'm not sure how to use them on my 2720. This is just a warning to brace yourself for some really dumb questions in a few weeks!

Ken

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Just call me a Garmin Newbi (rhymes with Nuvi), but after a bit of work I completed my very first Routes download. Now, I hope someone at the un-rally can show me how to access them! I know they are in there, but as of yet I'm not sure how to use them on my 2720. This is just a warning to brace yourself for some really dumb questions in a few weeks!

Ken

Don't worry, we'll get you squared away.

blaisew

I'll take that as a promise. It's gonna be fun!

Heck

Question ??

What Garmin Map Set are you using for the .gdb file? I'ma getting map error messages when trying to use with version NT2010.4

I have most of the map sets- can prolly match map sets for the event...Don't think there is that much difference between 8 and 10...

Thanks for all the work- routing in Mapsource is a job...

marcopolo
Question ??

What Garmin Map Set are you using for the .gdb file? I'ma getting map error messages when trying to use with version NT2010.4

I have most of the map sets- can prolly match map sets for the event...Don't think there is that much difference between 8 and 10...

FWIW, I have a 2006 version of City Select maps on my PC (and GPS, of course). I just copied and saved the individual route files on my PC (with slightly different file names), opened them and re-calculated. The re-calc didn't seem to do much. I zoomed in and checked some of the details more closely and all seemed fine. I then loaded them onto my GPS. I opened a couple on my GPS and navigated them in simulator mode. Again, all seemed fine and the GPS did not say that the routes did not match the mapset on the GPS. Guess I'll see when I'm actually there, but for now all appears to be OK. Famous last words...

Edited by marcopolo

SageRider
Question ??

NT2009.

Heck
Question ??

NT2009.

The one I don't have..... :eek:

Guess I'll just follow somebody... :clap:

Heck
FWIW, I have a 2006 version of City Select maps on my PC (and GPS, of course). I just copied and saved the individual route files on my PC (with slightly different file names), opened them and re-calculated. The re-calc didn't seem to do much. I zoomed in and checked some of the details more closely and all seemed fine. I then loaded them onto my GPS. I opened a couple on my GPS and navigated them in simulator mode. Again, all seemed fine and the GPS did not say that the routes did not match the mapset on the GPS. Guess I'll see when I'm actually there, but for now all appears to be OK. Famous last words...

Thanks for the quick lesson Mark!!....Got er fixed!! By highlighting the 2010 map set then recalculating all the routes into the new map set, it fixed it up!!

philbytx

Ahh! And THAT is why us Luddites use PPS ;)!

RT Russ

So I've got a Garmin 2820. I've downloaded the routes and sent them to the device. It says on the screen that they have been saved but where are they? I don't see them anywhere in any of the menus. What am I doing wrong?

RT Russ
So I've got a Garmin 2820. I've downloaded the routes and sent them to the device. It says on the screen that they have been saved but where are they? I don't see them anywhere in any of the menus. What am I doing wrong?

As the gal used to say on Saturday Night Live......never mind. I finally figured it out. Now I'm ready to ride. Not fully packed yet but mentally ready to go!

tallman

Thank you, to all who helped create these.

Took me more time to find a power cord than to download.

Can't convey how appreciative we are.

Kudos.

algover

Very well done, guys! Kudos! :thumbsup:

algover

Just one question.

Are these "real" riding times or could we subtract a "fudge factor" for those riding at a slightly more brisk (but legal!) pace ;)?

Keep in mind that this is tourist season (no, you can't shoot them! :dopeslap: ). Traffic around Lake Tahoe will be very slow, and the tourii will be doing dumb things like going very slow even in a 55 mph limit section and stopping suddenly in the middle of the lane, leaving you no way to get by. This is especially common in the Emerald Bay area, but can happen anywhere around the lake. Enjoy the views and vistas, but be careful. It's worth the trip, but don't plan on doing it quickly.

SageRider

Traffic around Lake Tahoe will be very slow, and the tourii will be doing dumb things like going very slow even in a 55 mph limit

And there are very few sections with speed limit as high as 55 MPH. The only areas I am aware of are along parts of the west shore.

TopazTiger

Garmin newbie here. I just bought a used BMW Navigator III. It only came with the City Navigator NT CD which I installed. For some reason, I can't get my computer to recognize my GPS even when it is on and plugged into the USB port. Do I need other drivers? I tried downloading all the free ones I could from the Garmin update site but nothing so far. Thoughts?

TopazTiger

Nevermind! I got my hands on a Zumo 550 just for the UN and the UN-believable IT staff at UN-HQ got me all set up with routes. Thanks guys!

Firefight911
Nevermind! I got my hands on a Zumo 550 just for the UN and the UN-believable IT staff at UN-HQ got me all set up with routes. Thanks guys!

You're welcome Rico!!! Enjoy and come see us if you need anything else!

Sign in to follow this