IGNORED

Routing Table help thread. We are the welcome wagon!

Firefight911

Firefight911

Alright gents, germs, and gerbils,

We're right around the corner from a fantastic UN. Everyone has done a fantastic job of providing our visitors some pre made routes, GPS files, PDFs, etc.

Killer will be posting these as early as tonight so we will be live and I have no doubt this will only create more questions from our ravenous travelers.

To help out on site, we are going to have a routing table set up each morning of the UN for several hours. We need people to man it.

I have already put myself down for Monday and Tuesday morning. I will also be available Sunday afternoon/evening for any needs our attendees will have.

I'm asking you to offer up some of your valued time to man the table as well. More than one per day is ideal, especially on Monday as it is the first day.

I'll be working some more logisitcs of what the table will offer with Michael and Dave but we will need some paper maps of the area, note pads, pencils, and probably most important of all is a way to get the GPS files transferred to the GPS units of those wanting to download them. We aren't handing out materials other than what has been created elsewhere but we will need some stuff so we can help guide people.

I do not have any way to accommodate downloads at the table as I have no laptop so any help here would be valuable.

We need to post on the forum that people should do everything possible to download the files prior to their departure from home/arrival at the UN along with having them utilize the internet onsite to do the same of the UN forum section once the files are up and live. A good reminder to bring their respective GPS unit's link cable is also in order.

Let's use this for firming the table's content, signing up with dates, etc. A good, think aloud, thread for us.

To keep this available to all concerned I am sending this in PM to get your attention and will be creating a thread in our forum planning section with a duplicate of this message. Let's use the forum thread so all involved and mods can see what we're up to.

I do need to let you all know that, at this point, I have to work on Wednesday and Thursday of the UN. I have been unsuccessful in getting this time off compliments of our dept. cutbacks and our already impacted work load. I'm still trying though. Unfortunately, the cat is out so there is no way I can be "sick."

Also, my truck and trailer will be at the UN site all week for ANY needs, breakdown, sweeps, etc. I will leave the keys with someone during my absence while riding or being at work. I will return to pick it up on Friday. I will ride back and forth with my bikes. Both of which will be there as well in case any of you are itching! :)

OK, who's in? What did I forget? I just got off of a LONG 72 hour stint at work so I'm quite punchy right now!!!

Thanks again, everyone, for helping out here!!! Especially, Tom, for collating and creating a single source file for all the additions everyone added.

1) I have a laptop computer which can be used to transfer routes and waypoints to a Garmin GPS. I also expect to bring a printer for emergency printout capability.

2) Phil, sorry to hear about your work schedule. I have acquired a motorcycle trailer, so please make the vehicle arrangements that make the most sense for you.

3) Phil, Once the routes are up on the web, please create a post on the board in the unrally forum pointing to the web site.

Also at that time, emphasize what you have stated above as far as pre-loading the info. Garmin detail maps CANNOT be loaded at the unrally, only Routes and Waypoints.

4) I will be picking up a box of highlighters, pencils, and Sharpies.

5) It looks like we have 125 each of Auto Club regional maps of the Lake Tahoe & Yosemite areas as well as 160 of the official Nevada state map and visitor's guide.

6) Once registration check-ins slow down, I can assist on the Routing table, but would prefer that ride committee members man the table if at all possible.

Firefight911
1) I have a laptop computer which can be used to transfer routes and waypoints to a Garmin GPS. I also expect to bring a printer for emergency printout capability.

Awesome. Thanks!

2) Phil, sorry to hear about your work schedule. I have acquired a motorcycle trailer, so please make the vehicle arrangements that make the most sense for you.

It's no problem. The truck will be there with trailer for any eventuality.

3) Phil, Once the routes are up on the web, please create a post on the board in the unrally forum pointing to the web site.

Also at that time, emphasize what you have stated above as far as pre-loading the info. Garmin detail maps CANNOT be loaded at the unrally, only Routes and Waypoints.

You got it!

4) I will be picking up a box of highlighters, pencils, and Sharpies.

I'll tell Jamie not to rob Blue Shield!

5) It looks like we have 125 each of Auto Club regional maps of the Lake Tahoe & Yosemite areas as well as 160 of the official Nevada state map and visitor's guide.

Holy bat theft Robin!!

6) Once registration check-ins slow down, I can assist on the Routing table, but would prefer that ride committee members man the table if at all possible.

We got it!

CoarsegoldKid

I will man a route table on Monday and again on Wednesday since Phil is going to be out. If I have nothing better to do I'll hang in there more.

Since I really didn't contribute on the route stuff, I'll be available for any and all help you guys need. I really only have a need for a days riding, as I've been over the area so much I really don't need to do it all again, unless of course someone (or group) needs a leader...

I might make a cooler run there to Topaz on Sunday eve, but I am not scheduled for arrival until Monday AM, so anything after that is fine with me. I'm available with a truck Sat/Sun to help with setup if need be...Monday-Thurs on a bike.

I will depart EARLY Thurs, so that day is out. All others OK.

Mark.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If you put the coffee at the route table, I'll be there every morning. ;-)

I'll have the KTM there. Happy to lead the GS rides if anyone wants. I know there are some back ways into Bodie and a bunch of dirt roads up in them thar hills. Happy to go along with anyone on those.

Tom, I may get up in the mtns near 89 monitor pass July 4th weekend. As of 3 weeks ago , it was still too early.

As I remember, there is a route that takes off from 89 and ends up north of Topaz on 395...would be a nice loop. But it's been while since I was up there. And I DO remember some nasty area's..

I'll try and check it out.

MB>

CoarsegoldKid

I rechecked my arrival date and it is Monday not Sunday. So I will have to reneg on Monday route table chores. How about Tuesday?

You mean because you haven't received any nit pickin' comments? Maybe these flatlanders don't have a clue where the West Slope is?

FWIW - I liked it a lot and will definitely use it.

Bob,

Can you confirm that you received my email with the revised GPS file and Yosemite routes?

I know from above that you are swamped. Do you have an estimate when these updates will be published?

Thanks,

Archived