IGNORED

ANOTHER F650GS/F800GS recall has arrived!

Firefight911

Firefight911

Looks like it made it to our shores! New chain and sprockets anyone?????????

LINKY

Let's hope it doesn't take as long to handle this one as it did the canister/stalling recall!!! In other words, GET ON IT BMW!

Bill_Walker

Well, y'know, that whole "chain and sprockets" thing is new for BMW. You've got to cut them a little slack. :)

Firefight911

The parts are on order and should be here at any time. It's about a one hour job.

Interestingly, the chain supplied will be an endless loop. This involves a removal of the swingarm. At least I'll be getting a swingarm bearing service at the same time.

Odd that they wouldn't just use either a clip or rivet link.

KLR's have always been been supplied with an endless chain.... and no recall on the drive chain.... :)

all the best,

Mike

baggerchris

My 06 F650 Gs single also came with the endless chain. I think all of the F series did except of course for the "endless" belt drive ones. Over on the chaingang site there are quite a few comments on master links; failure thereof, and cures for that particular ill.

It is clear from that site that in their collective viewpoint, the only equal to the endless chain is to rivet your new chain or master link per the somewhat expensive devices available for that purpose. Others wire and RV silicone their master links to try and get as perfect a link as possible to greater or lesser outcome.

This would be a good time to make sure they grease the swing arm bearings really well, instead of the usual 2 cents worth of grease they install the bikes with from the factory. I would ask them to do the linkage too (if the "new" F has linkage?).

I rode with master links for 18 years or so, and never had a problem. Just make sure to face the open clip part away from the direction of rotation.

Firefight911

No linkage so you're good there.

Absolutely!! Have them service the swingarm. I was quite happy to hear that they are going to get in there as they are. It's prolly gonna be my time to re-spring the shock for my weight. The stock shock is actually quite good.

The one thing that is not on the recall instructions is to replace the swingarm nut which is called for in the repair manual. This nut is mechanically "locked" in place. I'll happily spring for this nut to be replaced is they balk at doing it under warranty.

Firefight911
A ball bearing and a good c clamp can be used on the rivet master links.

A moot point in this thread as the recall is VERY specific, it is an endless loop chain that requires swingarm removal.

Rich06FJR1300

jeez, bmw can't get the shaft drives right or they like giving the shaft to their customers, and now the chain drives too? ugh!

• 3 weeks later...

Good work on the heads up Phil. I only wish you would get the new MTS 1200 so we would have such a strong advocate. Course most of my problem is the 250 miles plus to my nearest dealer.

Guess I am going to have to learn to communicate and get along with a dealer (not my strong suit as a DIYer).

Archived