IGNORED

F650 CS Battery

Bakaboy

My Haynes manual just says remove left front side panel, then basically reach in there and pull it out.

I don't remember it being that easy. That battery is tucked down in there tight. My memory is a little hazy, but you may need to remove both front side panels, and loosen the metal frame that supports that bird bath.

For each side panel: remove the "side handles", two screws (four total) at the rear of the panel, one screw at each forward and rear bottom corner. There's a trim piece at the front of the bird bath (on top) which needs to be unscrewed. Front turn signals too. I just (carefully) let the side panels dangle from the turn signal wires instead of disconnecting all of that.

I recall that the metal support frame has 4 legs, undo the rear, and just loosen the front so the whole thing can tilt up just a bit. You might be able to skip this step.

I have a vague recollection of loosening the fuseblock to slide it sideways a little.

Once you're in there, remove the cables, then pull it out. I recall using a 1/4" drive socket (10mm perhaps) on a 12" extension. Thread that in from the right side of the bike to undo the screw at the forward terminal. I believe the forward terminal is positive, so make certain you disconnect the negative first.

I looked into upgrading the battery from the OEM, but there was only one (might've been an Odyssey) that would fit. And even then, it didn't really fit anyway - to squeeze it in there, you have to remove the battery tray and trim it significantly. After getting the original battery out, and looking at what's required, I determined that it's a whole lot easier to just put in the OEM unit.

Good luck.

You should find more info here:

http://www.f650.com/

Archived