IGNORED

'85 K100RT - what to know?

Gregori

I've got an opportunity to perhaps pick up a K100RT, but I don't know squat about the K100 bikes. Apparently, the seller's wife told him he needs to pare down the motorcycle collection from his current nine. (I'm looking at the K100RT, and a '98 KLR650.)

As far as the K bike goes - Is there anything I should look for in particular? It's got over 100K, and the owner (who's only had it a year) says it runs great, of course. 'A little blue smoke when starting it up, but runs like a top after that.'

I should be able to see the bike on Sunday morning - any tips before then would be much appreciated!

(Oh yeah, any idea what the thing might be worth? He has no idea, and neither do I...)

Well, you are prob going to see a few of the following issues, perhaps now or later:

Splines dry and buggered up.

Speeedo/Odo may may not work.

Smoke on start up, especially after sitting a while on the side stand.

Fuel gauge may may not work, is inaccurate.

Drivetrain may be noisy, some had ujoint issues.

Headlight lens cracked or broken. These always took a beating, especially on RT's.

Sidestand ready to break off at frame.

And the usual stuff from sitting:

Seals hard and leaking.

Seat cracked

Coolant hoses hard/cracked need replacement.

etc

etc

etc...

If you can swing the deal for cheap do it. You'll enjoy it. But if it has aged from sitting too much, you'll spend a few weekends wrenching, nothing too diff...Good luck.

MB>

The old Kbikes are awesome, I hadn't heard about the side stand snapping off (I was always told the center stand had that issue), but the blue smoke is dead on and annoying at times.

I have a '88 K75s and really couldn't be happier with it.

Paul Mihalka

The basic bike is as solid as can be. If you get it, expect a lot of heat coming out from under the tank and the gas tank getting hot. It is also a bit buzzy, K75 was much smoother.

"Splines dry and buggered up." Just in case, we are talking about drive shaft to rear drive splines, not clutch splines. Easy to check/clean/lube.I too never heard of a side stand problem, and don't know about headlight lens problems.

One of the pics I have is of the dash - and it looks like the bike has TWO gas gauges? So, since it seems highly unlikely that the bike has two tanks, what's going on with that?

5103.jpg.66d10c74be7754cc147a11075e4869bb.jpg

Dennis Andress

One gas gauge, two level indications i.e. 7l left, and 4l left. They didn't work worth a darn as the thermistor used to measure fuel level was greatly influenced by fuel temperature, and the fuel return line from the injectors ran right behind the radiator fan. Most of the time the tank was too hot to rest your legs against.

They changed the fuel quantity system with the `86 model. They also changed the fuel tank, seat, tail piece, and the frame.

From the picture looks like a nice aftermarket seat - the stock ones were hard as a rock (85's have a unique to that year design, so don't think about changing it out unless the one you are looking at is specifically for an 85). You don't indicate anything in terms of price - while 100K on these isnt' a red flag - I'd not be paying a premium. Tripometers frequently failed on these. The reply before me adequately addresses the 7L and 4L fuel indicator - typically the 7l never goes out and the 4l works as designed. Heat from the engine is a personal matter - it bothers some, never bothered me. While plenty of spline issues occured, keep it lubed and it will last forever. Blue smoke on stratup is well documented and explained by BMW - if left on the side stand some oil leaks past the rings and causes the smoke on stratup.

Just be aware of what you getting into. It's a great bike, but if it hasn't been well maintained, could ( will) be doing bearings, final drive rebuild, injectors, yes and the speedo cluster will annoy you. It all can be done, just depends on how handy and resourceful you are. Can't help with price, bikes are cheaper in the USA than Canada

Thanks for all the help, guys...

I saw and rode it today, but am sorry to report that it's far more 'project bike' than I was hoping to find, or am willing to take n at this point... It'd be a good winter project for someone (else) -- though it ran well for a 25 yr old bike, and seemed to be reasonably well taken care of mechanically, it needed a LOT of cosmetic help. (I think the only fiberglass pieces not needing repair were the two under the sides of the otherwise nice Russell seat which is clearly NOT on the right seatpan for ths bike...)

Archived