IGNORED

Great acoustic guitarists

RodB

A few days ago, I walked into a small microbrewery to have a drink and playing on the house speakers was an acoustic version of one of my favorite songs - 'Stairway to heaven'.

So I asked the server who was playing; he told me this duet.

So now, I have most of their albums and am glad I was thirsty that afternoon and discovered their excellent music.

They even played before President Obama last month.

I'm sure many of you are already familiar with them, but I was clueless.

beemerman2k

Thanks, I'll have to check out this duo.

For me, Earl Klugh and Pat Metheny are the gold standard for excellent guitar playing. Earl has always been all acoustic in his guitar playing, but Pat Metheny has a nice body of acoustic work as well.

Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia knock me out with their fast fingers and syncopated riffs. They play off of each other and then play in sync at amazing speeds on Classical style accoustic guitars. I'm a drummer but I'm always most amazed by guitar and piano players. How do they do that?

beemerman2k

I was going to mention those two in my earlier post, but I figured I'd limit my list to my top 2 favorite. Yes, Al and Paco are off the charts.

On second thought, the Spanish and Latin cultures take acoustic guitar playing to a whole 'nother level in general. It's as if those instruments play a spiritual role in those cultures. So if a person from those cultures is lauded as a great guitarist, you can bet your bottom dollar that person must be incredible.

One last shout out to Joaquin Rodrigo while I'm on the subject of Spanish guitar players.

Oh, and now as if to contradict everything I just said, decades ago I saw Chet Atkins (guitar) and Roy Clark (banjo) play a duet on PBS's Soundstage program. My goodness. The music was out of this world. What amazed me is that while they played this incredible music, they looked as relaxed as if they were sitting on the sofa and reading the newspapers. Another incredible duo for sure.

A few days ago, I walked into a small microbrewery to have a drink and playing on the house speakers was an acoustic version of one of my favorite songs - 'Stairway to heaven'.
Coincidence - I just listened to a couple of hours of Led Zep with the last song being Stairway and then I read this - like it.

Among Classical guitarists:

Eliot Fisk for his marvelous transcriptions of non guitar works like

For Classical/Spanish and Baroque: Julian Bream, John Williams, Christopher Parkening and of course, Andres Segovia

Oh, Narciso Yepes and his funky 10 - string guitar is cool too.

Chet Atkins for sure and his protege Jerry Reed are among my favorites.

Jerry Reed... cry RIP

Wow, I just thought Jerry Reed was an actor who played a little guitar and sang funny songs. After the above comments, I cruised Youtube to see for myself. I had no idea he was that good.

Archived