IGNORED

i phone 4

taters

i made the mistake of looking at apples website and watching the video on the new iphone 4..preordered mine...beware you will want one

Lets_Play_Two
i made the mistake of looking at apples website and watching the video on the new iphone 4..preordered mine...beware you will want one

I was under the impression they couldn't be pre-ordered until 6/15?

beemerman2k

I am very happy with my 32GB iPhone 3Gs. All I want is more memory to store more music and videos, and the new model doesn't seem to offer that, so I'm staying put. Maybe next year.

I do look forward to version 4 of the iPhone OS with multi-tasking.

Taters--

I think you may have just signed up to be notified when you can pre-order. That was the only option when I checked a couple hours ago.

It's very cool, and it would be worth it to me just to have the better camera. Of course, SWMBO must be convinced. :cry:

Lets_Play_Two

Seems to me that the video phone feature is the big deal for Apple. Now the whole family needs iPhones!!! Now mom can go virtual shopping with the kids while they are at college. Won't have to do anything by themselves!!

oops i should have mentioned that my son in law owns an at&t store....i ordered him to get me one day one..lol

Did you hear the answer from the audience when Jobs was experiencing network problems yesterday, and asked one of his managers what could be done? "Verizon." Going to a metered data plan is long overdue, and should relieve some of the congestion on AT&T's network.

Did you hear the answer from the audience when Jobs was experiencing network problems yesterday, and asked one of his managers what could be done? "Verizon." Going to a metered data plan is long overdue, and should relieve some of the congestion on AT&T's network.

Just to clarify, while I thought it was hilarious, the connection failure that Jobs experienced was due to a Wi-Fi problem (he chided the crowd for the fact that 570 Wi-Fi stations were vying for connections). However, it was emblematic of what a lot of AT&T users experience with their 3G network.

I think I'm in the same boat as a lot of current iPhone users--the device itself is excellent, but AT&T has done a less than stellar job of coping with the network demands of the iPhone and other smartphones.

I know, Steve explained that it was their local WiFi network, but it was still hilariously funny poetic justice. Jobs is a master at handling these sorts of things gracefully. I was in the NeXT suite at EDUCOM one year, while Jobs was demo-ing a graphics program. "It's never done that before." His keynote speech was an extended NeXT demo, and reportedly hidden beneath the black cloth of the table was a second NeXT that he could switch to with a flip of the switch if the first one bombed. I don't know if NeXT #1 bombed, but if it did, the transition was so slick that nobody noticed.

beemerman2k

That NeXT OS was a very attractive system. I was working at MIT when that black boxed platform hit the market and I thought it was very nice.

Mister Tee

I think one would be remiss to pre order the new I Phone, or even to buy the first generation. I'll wait for the bugs to get worked out first. And for the prices to come down.

The prices will come down in a year, when the NEXT iPhone (5) is released.

The bugs are pretty much worked out - this is the 4th generation, afterall.

I was quite happy with my first generation iPhone. I was one of the early adopters, and paid the early adopter tax as part of the $600 price. (That "tax," however, Apple was kind enough to return half of, when the price did drop - a move you'll probably never see any other manufacturer make.)

I'm now happily on a 3Gs, and as cool as the iP4 looks, I'll 'suffer' along until next year's iP5, as I'm okay with leapfrogging generations... Lots of neat stuff on the new one, (yeah, I suppose the 5 MP camera looks kinda nice) but nothing that puts it into the MUST have category. Let's face it, a 5 MP camera without any optical zoom and an LED 'flash' is probably a $39 item on Amazon or Wally world, if it weren't built into a phone.

John Ranalletta
I'm now happily on a 3Gs, and as cool as the iP4 looks, I'll 'suffer' along until next year's iP5, as I'm okay with leapfrogging generations...
Having a 3GS and ordering a 4 = god's way of saying you've got more than enough money, or credit or whatever...
beemerman2k

I'm staying put, too, with my 3GS.

A month ago, my headphone's silver tip broke off in my iPhone. It was lodged in there so deeply that when I took the phone to an Apple store, they couldn't free it.

So they replaced mine with a brand new, shrink wrapped iPhone 3GS! No cost to me except about 10 minutes of my time. How's that for service? And no, I did not pay for any extended warranties or plans.

Goodbye traditional carriers. They would have siezed the opportunity to charge the hell out of me and sign me up for a new contract for a cheap phone replacement. No going back for me.

John Ranalletta

I might upgrade and cascade my 3GS to my SO. She's has a phone with no data plan. It'll be up to her.

Here

Dial *639#

My reply was as seen in the linked article.

Huh. new 2 year commitment and $18 to get me an iphone 4? tempting

I already have my old iphone 3G that got dunked in a river and quit making sounds operating as wifi mule and always-on itunes from the patio remote....

What could I do with my otherwise working fine 3GS to make a valid excuse for another contract....

More importantly, is there anything else I can do now that I'm apparently done serving my time w/ AT&T? Can I unlock my 3GS and go carrier shopping?

John Ranalletta

I think that's misleading, but not sure. I think that's the AT&T part and one still has to buy the instrument.

I think that's misleading, but not sure. I think that's the AT&T part and one still has to buy the instrument.

I think that's right . . . I did the same thing and got the same response. My understanding is that the $18 is a charge for an early upgrade, and the phone still actually costs $199 or $299.

Love my iphone, really, really hate AT&T! If I have to stay with AT&T I will go to the competitors phone.

I think that's right . . . I did the same thing and got the same response. My understanding is that the $18 is a charge for an early upgrade, and the phone still actually costs $199 or $299.

I shoulda known.

$%&@! AT&T

(I said the same thing about Verizon when I had them.... really, is there a phone company that doesn't suck?)

Archived